Here It Is Boys and Girls...New Dress Code

KenMo

[quote name='nolaAlive']I was speaking of the general population. Carnival, like others, is trying to attract new cruisers, as well as retain existing ones. Most of the general population have never cruised before.[/quote]

I read an article stating that only a very low percentage of people have cruised and it is mainly an American pass time, which surprised me. Cruising really seems poised to explode onto the vacation market.

I helped a co-worker book a last minute cruise 3 years ago after a TA told him with less than 2 weeks until his vacation everything was sold out. Neither one of them thought of a cruise. The cruise we booked for him was on RCCL and he hated it. Recently I found out he has been on 5 cruises since that first one - with NCL. He loves NCL. He just doesn't want anything to do with dress slacks or a tie on vacation. He also books all their excursions thru NCL so that he can just relax. Their last cruise was their first balcony and the first cruise they flew to (cruiseair). NCL made a loyal customer out of him all because of a tie.

The ironic thing is that he has come around a little and they have booked the specialty restaurants on NCL and he has taken dress clothes to wear. When I asked if they would try another cruise line, he couldn't say "No!" fast enough.

[quote name='HHIslandGirl'][FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]You know, I've stayed out of most of these Dress Code discussions, and just sat back and watched, but this one kinda gets to me.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Not one single person has said you [B]can't[/B] dress up if you want to!! [B]NO ONE!![/B] My DF and I love getting dressed up for formal events and will do so on our honeymoon cruise in October. BECAUSE WE LIKE TO. If Billy over there doesn't want to, that's his business. I like to, so I will. Honestly, my job is really casual and where I live is pretty relaxed, so I enjoy dressing up when I can. But if you don't want to, why on Earth should I care?! And if you do want to? GREAT!! Go to town! Enjoy it!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Get a grip people. Seriously.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Century Gothic][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000080]Sheesh.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]
I couldn't have said it any better. I don't understand why people want to become so judgemental over what someone wears.

We just got off the Liberty and I guess we are ones that just don't notice in the dining room??? I do know we had one couple dressy every night, the 2 other couples the men did not want to wear ties. They apologized at dinner and we said forget it, we had so much fun and they had on nice dress shirts and pants. It was so much more of a blessing to get to know all of them and not what we wore. My DH is much more comfortable on Carnival and when I told him about the shorts I have to say he looked happy:D . He has very nice dress shorts he would love to wear on casual nights.

I do agree about the luggage thing. Next cruise in OCt. we are flying Northwest, and they put the 1 bag per person rule. We are going on an 11 night and to get everything in 2 bags is going to be tricky. We will be going on RC so unfortunately no shorts for him in the dining room.

Only thing I wish Carnival would enforce is some type of cover up in the Lido. It was not fun in line with men in no shirts, girls woman, children in bathing suits, no shoes.:eek: That did really bother me but just have to roll with it when there are over 3000 people.

This last cruise if we would have focused on clothes we would have missed out on getting to know, becoming great friends, and having the best cruise ever with 6 of the greatest people we have ever met!!!!!

dress shorts on men are pretty icky...lol....and frankly i have seen what i refer to as "Kmart coordinates" on formal nights and no one was throw out....i will still wear dressier clothing (thats 1/2 the fun of cruising) and heck with the posted dress codes (although it might get my 17 yr old on a ship)

[quote name='VentureMan_2000']:eek:

It's very interesting that makeup does make a huge difference. My wife never uses make-up but for a few occations. And we both agree that it makes a huge difference.

I'm sure women often think that they wished men would use make-up... :eek:[/QUOTE]

Yup, make up makes a HUGE difference. Ever see a model or celebrity caught on camera without any?? Most look just like the girl next door without some kind of face paint.

As for men needing it, I've never seen a man that needd any.
honestly.
[quote name='VentureMan_2000']You need to learn to Fart any time you feel the need to... :D[/QUOTE]

ahhh. to be a man. No need for make up [B][I]and[/I][/B] fart freedom.
must be nice. :p
athough farting wasn't what I was referring to, I'll go along. :p

[quote name='DaisyGirl55'][IMG]http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/MISSONIMEN/RUNWAY/00310m.jpg[/IMG]

Is it me, or does this guy look like he shaves his legs :eek: :eek:[/QUOTE]

I'd bet my next cruise that this guy is [B]totally[/B] waxed.

[quote name='spartygrad95']I will post pics of me in my manpris when I return from my cruise. I will bet that women will swoon and men will become envious.;)[/QUOTE]

You just have to admire his confidence...

Rock on with your manpris! I just got my husband to try sandals and he still feels weird...

[quote name='aphone7000']It is indeed a sad day upon hearing the decision handed down by Carnival. I think the cruise line industry started out for people to have a great time on board. When first conceived, I feel they could also step back into the guilded age of luxury travel only offered to the "well to do" folks and create a modern day ship of formality in dress, food, atmosphere, bringing yesteryear back to the high seas, if only on FORMAL NIGHT. Here was an evening where one's fantasy can run wild with all the trappings. Dressing as if we were Vanderbilt, Morgan, and the other powerful brokers of finance... and being treated as if we were the same.

Try as I might, I find that no amount of insult or put downs that would have any affect on your decisions to wear to the dining room what you would wear to "Hooters". Your entire life revolves around an ongoing discussion turned argument that "Bud is better than Miller".
You are content to rebel against anything that might require some sort of change on your part. You seem almost glad to be the square peg in the round hole.
But now, my friend, there is trouble. Real trouble.! You will no longer be the exception,(hi-fives, bubba and bubbalicious, nascar racing, bowling, 3 dogs under your trailer, and a couple of cars on blocks) you will be the RULE...!!!! You will now look around at the dinner table and see others wearing their ball caps backwards, others with sleeveless shirts, others with camo jean shorts and shower clogs. How are you going to stand out among this bunch...?? Where is the shock factor you were hoping for on this trip..:rolleyes:
Oh, I will keep an eye on you, Johnny Bob, and your sweet thang, Joonteenth, as we are served a 4 to 5 course elegant dinner with a bottle of special wine by our own "waiters" who are more than happy to see us at each seating. We "dress" for dinner, unlike you and yours who "get dressed for dinner". Some day you will dicipher the difference JB. Anyway, as we proceed back to our "special" table all to ourselves our wait staff is at attention ready to pull out chairs, seat each of us, spread our napkins on our lap and commence fulfilling our every need. No, JB, you won't learn any of this as you pull up and shout your order into a clown's head at your local drive thru chicken joint..... but, you knew that... right??? :D[/QUOTE]

So what you are basically saying is that if I wear jeans (which are clearly allowed) or anything else that YOU don't approve of, I am white trash and live in a trailer?

What a terrible sentiment. Your comments appall me.

[quote name='DaisyGirl55'][IMG]http://men.style.com/slideshows/mens/fashionshows/S2007MEN/MISSONIMEN/RUNWAY/00310m.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

Carnival should kick this new dress code off with a bang and give this outfit to all the waiters. Can you imagine the waiters doing their singing and dancing in this getup?:eek:

[quote name='truecruiser']ROFLMAO![/QUOTE]

Seriously..:D
I clean better if I feel good and I feel better with make-up on....OH, and the stereo has to be blaring loud enough to nearly blow speakers. That always helps. ;)

crazy, I know :o

[quote name='flowerchild']So what you are basically saying is that if I wear jeans (which are clearly allowed) or anything else that YOU don't approve of, I am white trash and live in a trailer?

What a terrible sentiment. Your comments appall me.[/QUOTE]

We need to find a middle ground of peace here. Other posters have stated that if I dress in a floor length and my husband in a tux, then we are dinosaurs that want to live in a fairy-tale.

[quote name='trock']A Manzillian?:eek:[/QUOTE]

Yup. That would be my assumption.

[quote name='flowerchild']So what you are basically saying is that if I wear jeans (which are clearly allowed) or anything else that YOU don't approve of, I am white trash and live in a trailer?

What a terrible sentiment. Your comments appall me.[/quote]

Dont pay any attention to these type of posts..i mean really.. how do they even know you are white?
LOL
It was a joke...but seriously dont pay attention... I am not sure if that post was a joke or serious... and i really dont care..its inflamatory!

[quote name='spartygrad95']Kenmo..

Yikes.. that is what im talking about. You have to be HOT to pull of the manpris. A gut hanging over the top is NOT a good look. They should be a bit tighter, and you need to have lean legs and a nice rump. Like me.;)[/quote]

Well good luck with your manpri revolution. I see you have no problems with self-esteem...I'm only on page 3 and you've already told us how hot your "bod" is at least 3-4 times. :p

[quote name='halos']I agree with all you said, but this line (which I have heard before) always baffles me.
I spend not one second more on myself for fromal night than I do for any other night.
I still fuss with my hair, I still put on the same make up. The only difference is what I put on for clothing. To be honest, pulling a long dress over my head usually takes less time than fussing with blouses, pants or skirts. It takes me an hour to get ready no matter what I put on. Hell, even if I was putting on jeans, I'd still do the hair and make up.
What would cause most women to spend more time on formal night??
Just asking.

First couple of cruises I put a bit more effort into my hair on formal night, but now I just do the regular routine... which unfortunately seems to take a little longer each year... lol.

[quote name='Mikel1733']Whats the signal for more iced tea :p[/quote]
You can always do what my father-in-law does... hold the glass up and shake it.

[quote name='halos']whew!! I'm happy to hear that. :D Nothing grosser than hairy legs on a woman FTLOG! Well, a hairy upper is equally as gross.
which reminds me.....
;)[/quote]
Actually a woman with a hairy back is grosser.:eek:

Back to the new dress code... not that I care (and actually my husband will be thrilled), but it seems like, barring the types of shorts they mentioned as not being allowed, "dressy" is a relative term. Can't you just see someone arguing with the maitreD that their casual shorts ARE dressy?
When flying these new guidlelines could definitely save on the luggage space. That 's my biggest problem with formal night (which I actually enjoy)... suits, full length formals, and the shoes to go with them take up a lot of room and weight in a suitcase, which is even more important with the new airline limits popping up all over the place.

I don't really see a difference between the previously existing formal dress code and the new "cruise elegant" dress code. I see a SLIGHT difference for casual nights, but not enough that it represents a seismic shift... This is the status quo, people. It is what Carnival has asked for for a while, now...

I personally don't much care what the dress code is. All I care is that people comply. Folks who think that their own wants or needs or opinions are more important than the societal standards set up for the group make my blood boil. I don't care what rule they are breaking - if they are knowingly and intentionally breaking the rule, I don't have much respect for them...

Hopefully this "new" dress code will be easy enough to follow that we will see near 100% compliance. I doubt it, though. No matter how much you lower the bar, some people are always going to choose to crash through it...

Oh yeah, Im quite hot.. That is for sure. I lack no confidence. I can pull off any look, that is why the middle aged men on this board are jealous of me, and the women swoon:D :p :rolleyes: . I suppose you can't see sarcasm dripping off a computer monitor eh?

[quote name='spartygrad95']Oh yeah, Im quite hot.. That is for sure. I lack no confidence. I can pull off any look, that is why the middle aged men on this board are jealous of me, and the women swoon:D :p :rolleyes: . I suppose you can't see sarcasm dripping off a computer monitor eh?[/QUOTE]

You're really pushin' it at this point...My Leige :p

Archived