Has anyone tried Pacsafe for their cameras on the beach?

tatay

Nice, but whats to keep someone from just picking it up and walking away with it, even if it is looped around a chair leg ?

I think it prevents the grab & run type of theft. If you fasten it to your beach chair, the thief will have to run away with the whole beach chair, a bit too obvious. :)

( cut and paste form a site selling the item) After the bag is locked closed, you then wrap the steel coil around or through a stationary device (tree, metal frame of a bike, car seat or bed) and fastened with a hardened shackle brass padlock.

Another idea, they are called drypaks, I believe, and they are waterproof bags, with straps so you can put your valuables in them, and actually take them into the water with you. I bought 2 for this trip-LLBean has them. They are in different sizes(some are for cameras too). Mine will hold my credit cards, money, etc-it won't fit my camera though. I tested them in the bathtub for 3 hours, placing items inside, then weighing them down abit with a washcloth, so they were submerged. When I checked on them after the 3hours, the items inside were still dry-piece of mind for me.

I came across this and it looks like a good idea to keep cameras and some spending money safe (from theft) on the beach. Has anyone tried this??

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=18&features=specification

In the snorkeling thread they have discussed these pacsafes & the drypacs.

We use the drypacs for our keys, money credit cards. They come in various sizes from neck, wrist or waist wearing ones & work great when snorkeling.

For the camera etc I am thinking of getting the pacsafe myself.

Others use them in varying sizes for all kinds of stuff on all kinds of trips in all kinds of countries(according to other threads)

Cut proof material & when locked to an imovable object ...imovable:rolleyes:

Seems worth the $'s to me.

My thought is there is no point in me having a cam corder on a full day's outing & then not use it cause I'm afraid to leave it.

So far kindness of strangers has kept it safe..dumb or lucky:confused: Who knows

I have done likewise for others.

el tigre

I take my camera in waterproof case with, but I have been known to tip a bartendress/waitress to stash my other stuff behind the bar while I snorkeled.

Personally I'd rather see who my money is helping.

As for the company, I have often considered some of their products as protection against pickpockets, but have not followed through, nor been victimized. Of course, the first time it happens may make it all worthwhile.

Archived