Millennium Library Info?

BBsails

An afternoon or so of leisurely reading is my idea of a great way to spend time on a cruise. Although I'm bringing some of my own reading material, can any one comment on the Millennium's selection of fiction? What's available? How does the check out system work? Please add any other comments about the library that a Millennium neophyte would need to know.

I didn't think the selection was all that great. But my biggest complaint was their system for categorizing books. I don't know if the problem was with the library or the passengers not putting them back correctly.

That being said, we spent a bit of time there. It was quiet and because we are both 'library people', we did enjoy it. We were grateful for the ability to get a book that we might not normally get. And as was mentioned, get there in the beginning of your cruise to ensure a good book. From what I could tell, check out was honor system, I think we just signed a log.

I would probably bring a book or 2 that you know for a fact you will enjoy and hopefully the library will surprise you!:)

This ship has no librarian and was not very impressed over all.having said that it is a very pretty place and nice if you want toatl solitude to read.Did not find anything that may have been released in the last 10 years-foound selection very out of date.Bring your own books.

WOULD LOVE TO SEE SHIPS DO A PROPER EXCHANGE OF BOOKS ON SHIPS.YOU CAN SOMETIMES FIND A FEW BOOKS LEFT ON A RACK FOR EXCHANGE BUT THERE HAS TO BE AT LEEAT A COUPLE HUNDRED BOOKS ON EACH CRUISE THAT PEOPLE HAVE JUST FINISHED AND WOULD LIKE TO EXCHANGE.MOSTLY BEST SELLERS.WHY HAVEN'T I SEEN THIS ANYWHERE?WHEN I MENTIONED IT TO ONE OF THE LIBRARIANS ON A SHIP HE SAID WE HAVE IT-4 BOOKS WERE THERE.HOW ABOUT PUTTING IT IN THE CALENDAR ON EACH SHIP.BET YOU'D GET TONS.

DH and I are big readers and frequent cruisers; we usually pack lots of reading material but not any more! We now own a Kindle (Amazon.com)and probably will own another before our next 2 cruises in Nov-Dec. Kindle holds 200 books (many more w/ SD card) and you can download w/n 6 seconds anywhere in North America--so I'll have it loaded before we cruise.

I'm quite suprised about the comment about no book exchanges. Unless things have changed on the Connie and Millenium in the last few years there was a decent book exchange. Plenty of romance and mysteries. As far as libraries go, HAL has the best libraries, but personally they have to because they have the fewest other activies. I've had no trouble finding books on X, both from the shelves and from the book exchange. Just check back often. Another suggestion is for you and your cabinmate to choose your books together so that you can swap. If you are looking for the most up to date best seller, then I agree, you may not find what you want.

I'm a librarian and stopped by the library on the Millenium just last week. We went mid cruise because we brought several books with us and didn't need reading material; I just wanted to see how it was laid out. I'd love to be employed on the ship; I'd get those books in order and get a circulation system set up in no time!!!:D

What really struck me about the physical set up was how dark it was on the lower level. You needed a flashlight to see the books. I don't think that is good in a library.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a little rack in the left corner as you come in.Only had about 10 books.Most were in Spanish.None were allthe great books I saw people reading on deck.I always bring several books for myself.Never really saw a good exchange on any ship.One day I will buy everyone's book for a buck and sell them for $2 and then I will have enough money to go n another cruise.

My DH says the selection was "thin," meaning no classics at all, mostly books that have been published in the last 30/40 years. The nonfiction is scant. There's a lot of variety of topics but not very many books.

All in all, he deems it "rather bland."

That said, I did find a copy of a sports book and another book called, Smoke, a book about Cuban baseball which he really liked.

My 12 yo daughter found a really good autobiography called Zippy which kept her busy the day she was seasick.

The library itself is small but two stories with a neat winding staircase. I agree that it's dark!

We went first thing when we got onboard (while touring the ship). There was noone there so we just borrowed the books and returned them. When we returned them, I noticed there was a sign-out sheet in place, so I guess it's all on the honor system.

I saw a note in the dailies that requested that all library books be returned to Guest Services on the day of departure. We did this, but what a nightmare! Just getting to the front desk was nearly impossible as people were packed in the lobby and in the hallways getting to the lobby. I suggest you turn them in the day before or as you are getting off the ship!

Archived