Weather!!??

leggzz8

We would like to do our first cruise during our 10 yr ann. on Aug 29th, but I know its hurricane season, and we wanted to do the southern caribbean cruise. Has anyone done this one during that time?? Thanks!!:)

No, but we did Bermuda in October 2003 from NYC on Celebrity Zenith and then tried to do Nassau in September 2004 and both times we had to deal with weather. For our Bermuda trip, our 25th anniversary present, we had a tropical storm. It was our first night on our first cruise ever. It's funny looking back. We still tell people how our feet would be higher than our head while trying to sleep. Our table companions got seasick and couldn't eat with us. And we did the luau on Hawkins Island with people from Celebrity Horizon, our sister ship, and we got to tell them about our storm. Then the Nassau trip was a 3 nighter roaming around the Florida straights because of a hurricane in Nassau. So it happens. A cruise is what you make of it. Take a chance, you'll be glad you did. And if you have rough waters, it makes for years of boasting that you made it through that one! If they know the seas are rough, they will take you to a place that is safe. I say "go for it!".

You may be really lucky--the S. Caribbean isn't "hit" as often as the Eastern and Western Car.!!! And really, if you think about it--the odds of a major storm happening during your week is slim.....

Good luck and have a great trip!

Aug 29 is very close to the peak day, Sep 10 for hurricanes. That said, the Southern Caribbean does not have as many as other parts of the Caribbean, but last year several did seem to take more southerly routes.

The thing is, your ship will have to pass through areas of the Caribbean that are busier in order to get to and from the southernmost Caribbean.

But I wouldn't worry too much. Why? Because your captain will do his utmost to avoid dodgy areas if there should be any because he cannot affort to put an entire ship and its passengers at risk. The only problem you might face is some inconvenience or a missed port if you should need to change course somewhat.

If you want to travel over a specific date, the weather really doesn't matter. You'll have to take it as it comes, so to speak.

Keep in mind that if you do sail when there's a hurricane, although the Captain will do everything he can to keep you out of it's path, it's likely that most of your ports will be disrupted.

We sailed a week after a tropical storm last December and the water at our ports was still very rough and "milky" (not clear). We couldn't snorkel or swim at 2 ports out of 3.

We would like to do our first cruise during our 10 yr ann. on Aug 29th, but I know its hurricane season, and we wanted to do the southern caribbean cruise. Has anyone done this one during that time?? Thanks!!:)

Just be prepared that it will be hot, hot, hot!! We were there right after Thanksgiving one year and I thought I was going to melt in Aruba.

But the southern route it beautiful and if I could do it again I would in a skinny minute......beautiful ports.....just beautiful:D

Dianne

Archived