Island Princess vs. Emerald Princess

cmalibu1

I have never been on any princess cruise before, and have finally narrowed it down to two options.

Island Princess (through panama) or

Emerald Princess (through the caribbean)

We would definitely book at least a balcony room, and enjoy plenty of fun activities, good late night drinks and want this vacation to be romantic yet full of things to do.

Not sure which ship would suit us best? I am sure they are quite similar, but was wondering for people who have cruised these ships before specifically the things you enjoyed/disliked about the ship!?

Thanks!

I have never been on any princess cruise before, and have finally narrowed it down to two options.

Island Princess (through panama) or

Emerald Princess (through the caribbean)

We would definitely book at least a balcony room, and enjoy plenty of fun activities, good late night drinks and want this vacation to be romantic yet full of things to do.

Not sure which ship would suit us best? I am sure they are quite similar, but was wondering for people who have cruised these ships before specifically the things you enjoyed/disliked about the ship!?

Thanks!

It really depends on what you want to see.I have been on both ships and prefer Island because of its size.

I have been on both ships & enjoyed them very much. The Emerald is much newer & carries many more passengers. so, depends on what you are looking for. We have been on both of your selections & if this was the deciding factor I would choose Panama Canal, but I have been on so many Caribbean cruises that the islands are starting to look alike:) . For Caribbean I would choose Emerald.

Jan

Our destinations as far as what we want to see is pretty simple. A beautiful warm location. I liked the idea of the panama canal for its slightly 'exotic' locations (at least for us)

But also like the idea of a large ship with lots of buzz and things to do. I know there are some differences like MUTS isnt on the Jewel and that would be something we would like.

Guest arowe6

We are booked on the RT Panama Canal cruise leaving on November 6th on the Island. Our last cruise was on the Caribbean Princess which is similar to the Emerald but it older. We're excited for the Island because it is almost as large as the others but only holds 1,970 passengers. The Island does not have MUTS but we don't really mind. It was cool to have but we're both very happy just laying by the pool all the time no matter what the itinerary. I mainly wanted this cruise because it goes to Aruba and Costa Rica (I'm a coffee-holic) and I wanted to experience the Panama Canal.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

-Andrew:p

Andrew

thanks for your help. I too want to go to Aruba, and costa rica! I guess the one downfall about this ship to Aruba is, I was looking at the itinerary and you dock in aruba at like 7:00am and have to be back on board at 1:00!? Quick stop!

Since it is bigger, and holds less passengers are the rooms the same size? Or does it just mean you wont bump into people constantly!

Ron is correct, the ships are not similar at all. I would choose Island Princess. It has most of the amenities that Emerald has on a smaller, more intimate scale. I haven’t sailed Emerald, but I would imagine that given the low density passenger complement, Island would be the more romantic of the two…and with the amenities, there will be plenty to do.

Princess staterooms run mostly the same size (except on Sun, Dawn and Sea, which are considerably smaller).

Guest arowe6
Andrew

thanks for your help. I too want to go to Aruba, and costa rica! I guess the one downfall about this ship to Aruba is, I was looking at the itinerary and you dock in aruba at like 7:00am and have to be back on board at 1:00!? Quick stop!

Since it is bigger, and holds less passengers are the rooms the same size? Or does it just mean you wont bump into people constantly!

I noticed that about Aruba too. But that was after I booked the cruise. I just assumed it was a normal stop (7-4 kinda thing) but afterwards I realized it was a very short visit. But I'm fine with getting up early and hitting the beach. Plus it will force me to not lay out the entire day and get burned. :eek:

The public rooms are basically the same size as the bigger ship but because it holds considerably less passangers you won't bump into anyone and you'll have more personal space.

-Andrew

Archived