Daylight hours in June...

ErieCruiser08

This may be a dumb question--I was just curious--We are going on a northbound Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. That first night, I imagine we won't notice any difference in the amount of daylight hours--am I right? But what about the second night? We will be cruising the inside passage on Day 2, arriving at our first destination at 7am, on Day 3. Will we begin noticing the extended daylight hours once we are closer to Alaska? I'm still holding out for seeing the Northern Lights, which I know is near impossible in June (I already asked that question:-) Just curious, thanks!:)

We have been to Alaska twice in May and it was light by 4 am and not dark until 10 pm. June 20/21 is the summer solstice and the longest day of the year so the days will be even longer then. You will notice a definite difference the second night, as I recall. Being from the East Coast, I was always awake early so the early daylight didn't bother me too much. Of course, I was falling asleep by 9 PM.:eek:

This may be a dumb question--I was just curious--We are going on a northbound Alaskan cruise out of Vancouver. That first night, I imagine we won't notice any difference in the amount of daylight hours--am I right? But what about the second night? We will be cruising the inside passage on Day 2, arriving at our first destination at 7am, on Day 3. Will we begin noticing the extended daylight hours once we are closer to Alaska? I'm still holding out for seeing the Northern Lights, which I know is near impossible in June (I already asked that question:-) Just curious, thanks!:)

Sorry, you have absolutely NO chance of any aurora. Most of your travel time will be twilight and never dark at night. :)

I am always up very early on northbound trips, since that last shred of inside Vancouver Island is important to me. As mentioned you can see clearly at 4am, even if prior to "sunrise". That extended twilight is darn "light" out.

Last time I "slept in" until 5:30 am on way north from Vancouver...and was amazed at how bright it was (and how amazing the scenery was). This time I will set my alarm to catch the whole show (and nap in the afternoon when we are farther from land).

You might try going to www.timeanddate.com off on the left hand column under SUN AND MOON CALCULATORS, click on the Sunrise and Sunset calculators link and go from there. Scroll all the way down to

USA-Alaska.

I was able to get the sunrise and sunset times for Juneau and Anchorage for the whole month of June. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your input. Several posters have mentioned that you don't want to miss or sleep through the inside passage, going north from Vancouver. Is the wildlife more active early in the morning? Is it majorly worth it for us to make sure we are awake for sunrise? I bet sunrise is gorgeous, but is there another reason we should set and alarm and make sure we are up early?

Thanks everyone for your input. Several posters have mentioned that you don't want to miss or sleep through the inside passage, going north from Vancouver. Is the wildlife more active early in the morning? Is it majorly worth it for us to make sure we are awake for sunrise? I bet sunrise is gorgeous, but is there another reason we should set and alarm and make sure we are up early?

Do not expect any wildlife, since your ship will not be detouring like some of the southbounds to Robson Bight. The reason to get up and out is for the scenery,

Archived