Sail Away

born'4'cruisin

Since I've only sailed out of two ports - New Orleans and Galveston I'll have to say New Orleans.....

Our ritual is to stand on our balcony until we are away from the city lights and then go up to one of the lounges, that has a great view, and have a glass of wine.

I've only sailed out of LA, Miami and Port Canaveral. Out of those three, Miami has been my favorite. Just because you sail by all the multi-million dollar mansions and then the beach with all the people waving. At that time, there were wave runners playing in the wake of the ship. It was fun.

Our favorite thing to do is grab a fruity drink and head to the heli-pad on the Voyager class ships. It's a little windy, but the view is great. We usually see dolphins playing around the bow. And we do a lot of waving! :)

We don't have a lot to compare to but there is something magical (especially if the weather is clear) about sailing from Vancouver, BC. Not only are the surrounding mountains and green hills pretty but sailing under the Lions' Gate Bridge was a real metaphor for entering "another world".

200px-Lions_Gate_Bridge_%28air%29.jpg

I've only sailed from two, Galveston and Seattle. Didn't care much for Seattle, pretty city and a nice view on the way out. Interrupted my sailaway ritual.

That leaves Galveston...nothing really to look at...perfect for my ritual.

My Ritual you ask??? Sitting at the pool bar...not caring if we ever leave, at least I'm on the BOAT!!!:D

Vancouver is my favourite, since there is no flying involved. I can now look at the city as I leave on a cruise, and be thankful that I don't work, or live in it any more, it has changed so very much.

john

I hate to say it but New York City!! I am all about the 'tropics' when I'm on a cruise but there is something really special about sailing past the Statue of Liberty then under that bridge - which it always looks like you won't fit under. A close second would be Sydney for almost the same reasons - you sail under the Harbor Bridge then past the Opera House!

Our 1st cruise was on Sovereign, and we were in the Viking Crown lounge when the ship pulled out---what a rush! And what a view! That's the best VCL, IMO, on RCI!!!

Our last cruise found me unpacking as the ship sailed away!!! I didn't even know we were about to leave! Oh Well!

• 9 months later...
Our 1st cruise was on Sovereign, and we were in the Viking Crown lounge when the ship pulled out---what a rush! And what a view! That's the best VCL, IMO, on RCI!!!

Our last cruise found me unpacking as the ship sailed away!!! I didn't even know we were about to leave! Oh Well!

Yes, the Crow's Nest, Viking Crown or whatever the ship calls their lounge that is above the lido at the very top-that is a fun place for sail away-and you see EVERYTHING instead of only one side as you do on your balcony.

• 1 month later...

I've got to go with New Orleans....the 7-ish hours cruising down the Mississippi to start the trip off...is amazing. Not to mention...once you do breach the ocean...you are surrounded by Oil Rigs...its really quite a site!

I have cruised from Tampa, Pt. Can., Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, New York, Vancouver, and Dover.

I don't really have a favorite, although I think Ft. Lauderdale has the nicest ship's port that I have seen in FL.

• 2 weeks later...

Sailed from Galveston, Mobile, NO, and Port Canaveral, favorite is Canaveral, as the ship leaves we stand on the back wrap around balcony and pop the first bottle of bubbly and wave at the poor souls left there. then we head up to the lido for some music and people watching going again in jan 2010 on the Dream

Archived