Auckland Pre-cruise hotels

margord

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pre-cruise hotel in Auckland. We want to fly in a few days ahead of the cruise to sightsee, so would really like the hotel to be in a good location for getting to the sights.

Do a search in this forum...there have been several informative threads about this subject. Since the dock is right in the center of the city harbor and within walking distance of much of the city center, several hotels are conveniently located - depends on price and location you wish to have.

We stayed at the Hilton - excellent location, walking distance to or from the ship. Close to restaurants and local transportation. Great rooms. Highly recommnend.

I understand the Hilton is fabulous and I think I may spluge and try to book it. Is it located close to the "tourist" attractions? Does Auckland have a HOHO bus and is it east to get to from the Hilton?

Marilee

Do a search in this forum...there have been several informative threads about this subject. Since the dock is right in the center of the city harbor and within walking distance of much of the city center, several hotels are conveniently located - depends on price and location you wish to have.

Thanks Sheila

We stayed at the Copthorne Hotel, part of the Millenium hotels group, which is right at the end of the pier. It has a fabulous downtown location.

It's not as glamourous as the Hilton but it is clean and every room has a view of the harbour. The ferries and Maritime museum are right across the street. The HOHO bus is a couple of blocks away. I booked it direct online and got a great rate that included a full buffet breakfast.

I understand the Hilton is fabulous and I think I may spluge and try to book it. Is it located close to the "tourist" attractions? Does Auckland have a HOHO bus and is it east to get to from the Hilton?

Marilee

We stayed at the Hilton this January prior to our Oceania cruise. It is located on Princes Wharf and is built out over the water. You can easily walk to "waterfront" attractions such as harbor ferries and tours. I am not sure about a Hop On bus, but you can readily get to Queens St. and major shopping.

It was quite a sight to wake at 6 am on embarkation day and see our ship gliding in directly past our balcony!!

We stayed at the Hilton this January prior to our Oceania cruise. It is located on Princes Wharf and is built out over the water. You can easily walk to "waterfront" attractions such as harbor ferries and tours. I am not sure about a Hop On bus, but you can readily get to Queens St. and major shopping.

It was quite a sight to wake at 6 am on embarkation day and see our ship gliding in directly past our balcony!!

I think we are definiately booking it for the 2 days prior to our cruise.

We stayed at the Carlton and thoroughly enjoyed it. Very comfortable rooms and central location.

Thanks Mike, I will check this out. I am looking for a hotel for 1 night as we are staying with friends for 3 nights and then think we will splurge on the Hilton on the two nights prior to the cruise.

I will also endorse the Hilton mainly because of its position - but make sure you get a room on the Eastern side overlooking where the ships dock.

Its not exactly cheap but I suppose they have to be able to keep Paris in the style in which she is accustomed to !:p

I stayed there in 2006, it was my shout at the bar and two glasses of wine (only 1/4 full) cost NZ$27. When I queried the bar attendant his only reply was "This is the Hilton Sir" :rolleyes:

I will also endorse the Hilton mainly because of its position - but make sure you get a room on the Eastern side overlooking where the ships dock.

Its not exactly cheap but I suppose they have to be able to keep Paris in the style in which she is accustomed to !:p

I stayed there in 2006, it was my shout at the bar and two glasses of wine (only 1/4 full) cost NZ$27. When I queried the bar attendant his only reply was "This is the Hilton Sir" :rolleyes:

Maybe we will sleep there and eat and drink somewhere else.

Thanks Mike, I will check this out. I am looking for a hotel for 1 night as we are staying with friends for 3 nights and then think we will splurge on the Hilton on the two nights prior to the cruise.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect when your ship arrives, here is the Nautica docking just outside our balcony early in the morning. It is really something to experience!!

[ATTACH]75470[/ATTACH]

Just to provide a slightly different opinion (we did not stay at the Hilton, so just MHO), on debarkation day when more announcements that usual were made, we noticed that early in the AM, sleepy people were awakened at the Hilton with their balconies in direct view of ours. In other words, it looked like they were awakened early on a Sunday AM by the ship and lacked any privacy on their balcony. Now, I imagine if you were going to board that day, you'd be up early and excited to see YOUR ship, so that might not be a problem. But, if you were there several days and different ships docked on different days, the novelty might wear thin, especially at such high prices. Just a thought.

Just to give you an idea of what to expect when your ship arrives, here is the Nautica docking just outside our balcony early in the morning. It is really something to experience!!

[ATTACH]75470[/ATTACH]

Wow, thanks for sharing.

Just to provide a slightly different opinion (we did not stay at the Hilton, so just MHO), on debarkation day when more announcements that usual were made, we noticed that early in the AM, sleepy people were awakened at the Hilton with their balconies in direct view of ours. In other words, it looked like they were awakened early on a Sunday AM by the ship and lacked any privacy on their balcony. Now, I imagine if you were going to board that day, you'd be up early and excited to see YOUR ship, so that might not be a problem. But, if you were there several days and different ships docked on different days, the novelty might wear thin, especially at such high prices. Just a thought.

Good point. Of course, we will only be there 2 nights so it may be worth it for something different.

There is also the Sebel which is also right at Princes Wharf. Its 4 star and probably not as expensive as the Hilton.

I stayed there in 2006, it was my shout at the bar and two glasses of wine (only 1/4 full) cost NZ$27. When I queried the bar attendant his only reply was "This is the Hilton Sir"

To be fair, most large hotels in big cities charge like wounded bulls. And I'm sure the 1/4 full glass was a huge glass. We stopped by the 4 Seasons in Sydney one night for a drink and it was $16 each for a glass of wine and that was 5 years ago.

Also, be reminded that there is no compulsion to tip in Australia and NZ. Some of the staff in the high end hotels might expect it (especially when they hear an American accent) but they won't cop an attitude when they don't get it.

The location of the Hilton is fantastic! But, it is true, when we boarded our ship, our balconies were overlooking their balconies and rooms. The Hilton is extremely convient to all the restaurants and ferries, it is really the place to be. Many hotels are up the hill, and that makes it difficult walking to and from the restaurants and ferries! If not the Hilton, check others near the docks! We did stop there for coctails one afternoon, and a Martini was 18.00!!! But, there are plenty of choices close by, you will love the area! If you e-mail me at msmith1@sprintmail.com and mention CC I will send you a picture of the people on their balconies, really neat! I took pictures of them taking pictures of us!!

There is a free hop on hop off that goes in a circle from the street by the ferry station! The ferries are terrific for day trips! We even went fishing one day, which was lots of fun!

The location of the Hilton is fantastic! But, it is true, when we boarded our ship, our balconies were overlooking their balconies and rooms. The Hilton is extremely convient to all the restaurants and ferries, it is really the place to be. Many hotels are up the hill, and that makes it difficult walking to and from the restaurants and ferries! If not the Hilton, check others near the docks! We did stop there for coctails one afternoon, and a Martini was 18.00!!! But, there are plenty of choices close by, you will love the area! If you e-mail me at msmith1@sprintmail.com and mention CC I will send you a picture of the people on their balconies, really neat! I took pictures of them taking pictures of us!!

There is a free hop on hop off that goes in a circle from the street by the ferry station! The ferries are terrific for day trips! We even went fishing one day, which was lots of fun!

You have mail.

Marilee

We stayed at the Rendevous in Auckland (which is the same hotel that Princess uses). The location was very convenient and the rooms had 2 full size bed. We paid $165 NZ$ by booking it ourselves.

Thanks

I think we have decided on the Hilton. We are going to spluge. Heck this whole trip is a splurge.

Based upon our experience this past January, I hope you will be pleased with your decision.

Let me recommend two restaurants nearby that are within walking distance and both are in the Auckland Ferry Building:

1. Cin Cin On The Quay

2. Harbourside Seafood Bar & Grill

Cin Cin is one the street level, Harbourside is up on the second level.

We were very happy with both and found a nice wine shop on our walk back to the Hilton.

Archived