No Excursions For Us!!

WeGoCruzin04

Ok, we are on a budget if we choose to not go on an excursion. And don't want to be stuck on the boat while in port. Are there places close by we could, eat, shop, swim??? Our stops are in Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan? :confused:

Get a guidebook and read it!!* Libraries have then for FREE in the travel section!* Or, you can buy one!* Research is a MUST--especially if you are going it on your own!* The book will give you a good idea of what you can do, where it is, how much it costs....you get the picture!* It's more than possible to have a great time without excursions!* We do it all the time!* Spending 4-6 hours doing one thing stresses my patience!* Go--Run--get a guidebook!

Some excursions can be less expensive than shopping. And you know that eating on the ship is free, right? You don't have to do excursions, but there are other options to save money as well. If you check the ports board for your specific ports, not only will there be info on excursions, but there will also be info on shopping and inexpensive things to do.

Oh I would still go if I was on a budget and couldn't do an excursion. Sometimes you can walk around and see lots, take a taxi or bus to see things or go to the beach. Also, in Alaska for only $6.00 I was able to take a bus to the Glacier and on the way the bus driver pointed out all sorts of things so it was like having a tour guide. Well worth every penny. So there are things you can do for little or no money.

You will have fun even if you go on a budget. I think it would be fun to try to go and make a game of spending nothing. The one who comes closest to paying zero after boarding the cruise wins.

If you like going to the beach and getting some good food/drinks you could take a taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel. We did this on our last cruise and are going back in October. In the Ports of Call section there is a lengthy thread about Paradise Beach going. The drinks/food/activities were fun and the people there are super nice. Have a great cruise!

If you like going to the beach and getting some good food/drinks you could take a taxi to Paradise Beach in Cozumel.

Both of your ports are great for a loafing day without spending alot of money. Depending on where you dock in Coz, you can spend around $10 one way for taxi and go to Paradise or San Miguel. There is no entry fee at PB and all they ask is that you buy food and drinks. The food is good and the prices are comparable to other places. Shopping can be had anywhere.

Progreso doesn't even cost the price of a taxi. A free shuttle bus takes you to town and you can walk 3 blocks to the beach.. Great food at Le Saint Benoit, shopping all around you and a neat town to explore.

Really no need to book a tour in either port. You should have a ball.

We are always on a budget and do our own thing in port.

In Cozumel we rented a car for about $40 and drove to Punta Sur and paid $10pp for a great beach (with chairs, umbrella and hammocks included) fresh water lagoon tour by boat, museum, climbed the lighthouse, saw some Mayan ruins and beautiful environment. $60 for a full day! It was outstanding. I cannot comment on the other ports as we have not been there.

Have fun, whatever you choose to do.

We were in Coz last year on a tight budget. I second the posts for Paradise Beach. entrance, use of lounge chairs is free as long as you order food/drinks. You can purchase a fun pass if you want to for $10 per person that gets you use of water toys, kayaks, snorkle equip, etc.

We are a family of 4. We spent around $60 on food & drinks and $20 for the kids fun passes. So all day relaxing beautiful beach enjoyment for $80 bucks. You can spend less on the food and drinks, just depends on what you want. The web site is www.paradise-beach-cozumel.com. There is a link to their menu with prices, so you can figure exactly what it would cost you. Taxi ride was about $10 one way.

We will be back in Cozumel this year and thankfully money is not quite so tight. But out of all the excursions and things we could do, we all voted and we will be spending the day at Paradise Beach once again.

I would rather buy something and then go back onto the ship for Lunch. Walk around for a few hours. I also get on the internet in the ports. The one near the RCL port in Cozumel is $2 for an hour, the one in town I think was $3 for an hour. Progresso was only $1 for an hour. I was there last week.

You can take a taxi cheap if you want to go somewhere.

Go on line and read about all the ports. There are many places to see by walking or take a bus or taxi. Know all you can about every place you will be. If you are a AAA member, they have tour books and maps. Enjoy!

Ok, we are on a budget if we choose to not go on an excursion. And don't want to be stuck on the boat while in port. Are there places close by we could, eat, shop, swim??? Our stops are in Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan? :confused:

Try Tripadvisor.

Search for ports, and lots of info will be there. For Cozumel, they had a tripguide which we used on our visit there in March.

Research before your cruise, and you will be better prepared.

If you belong to AAA, or know someone who is, they provide tour books for free. We always get them before our trips. Great resource.

Have fun.

I belong to AAA but I never received a "free" book outside of the U.S. I always had to buy them in the AAA Marketplace.

Particularly in the Caribbean, you don't need to book excursions. Research your ports of call, print out some maps, maybe take a cab to a beach. It's easy to do the Caribbean cheaply. Have fun!

Sometimes just staying on the ship is the best day! No crowds & the pools are almost empty. But walking/tendering into town just to look around is free & I am not a fan of eating off the ship anyway:eek: . Do what you can afford & cruise more often.

Jan

#1 report.gif

post_old.gif April 2nd, 2008, 05:29 PM

heart-fish.gifWeGoCruzin04 user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_14071691", true);

Cool Cruiser

icon4.gifNo Excursions For Us!!

Ok, we are on a budget if we choose to not go on an excursion. And don't want to be stuck on the boat while in port. Are there places close by we could, eat, shop, swim??? Our stops are in Cozumel and Progresso, Yucatan

If you do your research on the web you can find alot of free things to do. just type in free beach in cozumel etc.This is what I did and found them all over the caribbean. Sometimes you have to get a cab to get there but it is really afforable. Hope it works out for you.

In Coz I would go to Chankanaab Park ($12 each to get in) or Paradise beach (free). The cab to both is about the same (I think we paid 10 bucks there and 8 back). Then you can jump back on the ship to eat, then go walk around Coz a bit.

Progreso is a complete dive. You would be better off staying on the ship and enjoying a relaxing, crowd-free day. You can take the public bus into Merida, but the ride is not great and I am not a fan of Merida at all. There is a tiny, tourist-y straw market just off the shuttle bus in Progreso where you can buy gifts and then get back on the sip pronto.;)

Progreso is a complete dive. You would be better off staying on the ship and enjoying a relaxing, crowd-free day.

This is where we differ. We've been to Progreso three times, did something different each trip and had a ball. It is weird how one person loves a port and another doesn't. I've seen rave reviews on Costa Maya. We have been there twice and I don't care if I ever go back. Go figure.

People always talk about staying on the ship when in port. To me this is like checking into a hotel and never leaving the room. If I'm in port I have to go ashore. There are too many adventures out there and I don't want to miss any of them.

Hello,

Another suggestion for you is then when you get on the ship, talk with some of the ship's senior staff such as the chief purser, waiters, or others and ask them which beaches they go to. if you must use a taxi, get a price first before you get in the taxi. Taxi drivers are usually fair but you must have an agreement with them so that there are no surprises.

Another idea for Cozumel is to take the ferry to Playa Del Carmen, to see a bit of the Yucatan. Check the ferry schedules and give yourself plenty of time. From Cozumel these ferries are used to take cruise passengers on excursions to Tulum (to see the Mayan ruins). However, please do your research on this.

As my DW and I have been on many cruises, some of the best times was when we went for long walks and spent very little money. For example not long ago we saw Mazatlan for about $6.00 each, between public transportation and a taxi.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

Last time we were in Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach and had to pay an entry fee (have things changed since then or did we get taken advantage of?) We also ordered food and drinks. I have to say that the food was wonderful and the drinks were great. A bee landed in my drink and they gave me a whole new drink for free. Nice of them! We chatted with the owner for a while and he was actually from the states but fell in love with a girl there - which is what prompted him moving there. Nice guy.

Anyway....after we left the beach we did a lot of walking around and did some shopping and honestly that was the best part of the trip....just walking around and looking/shopping. If you can haggle you'll get some great souvenirs at a great price. We got a better price after we left and came back again!

From the Paradise Beach website

>>Paradise Beach offers FREE entrance. Beach chairs and umbrellas are free with a $10USD purchase of food or drink per person. There is a $10USD fee only if you decide to use the snorkeling gear, kayaks, beach floats, trampoline, iceberg, coconut tree climb and bungee trampoline jump. The $10 usd / person fee is good for the whole day and covers all of the toys mentioned.<<

Where where you charged an entrance fee??? We walked right up through the bar area and when we chose a seat the waiter came by and asked if we wanted anything to drink. DH wanted to use the water toys so he paid the extra $10.

I only ask because Tom the manager would probably like to know that someone charged you to enter the beach.

When we went we had to pay $3 per person to get in. This was a few years ago (Sept. 2005). Have things changed since then? I do recall the extra charge for use of the water toys and such but we didn't do those things. We normally aren't beach people anyway so we didn't plan on spending much time there.

That's right....his name is Tom. I had forgotten that! We chatted with him for quite a while!

Archived