Post-Cruise London Touring

We have run into some major hurdles in our plans for 2-1/2 days in London. It appears that the operational hours for our top three sites are pretty much the same and we will not be able to do two of them on the same day. The British Museum, Tower of London and Royal Observatory at Greenwich are all listed in the guides I have as being open from 10am-5pm (give or take 1/2 hour) on Saturday-Monday. We hope to arrive before Noon on a Saturday and if the hotel (in Euston) is willing to let us check in early (or store luggage until we can) we will have the remainder of that day. Since we will be fairly close to the British Museum we could probably squeeze that in before they close at 5:30pm.

Sunday and Monday would be the Tower and Observatory days. We would fill in before and after these "major" sites with whatever is open nearby. Additional parameters...wife uses a wheelchair so Ho-Ho buses and tube stations (except DLR which already are) have to be accessible. Also, food budget will be seriously restricted so mostly will be pubs and ethnic.

Preliminary plan & Questions....

1. After BM we were considering a quick visit at Harrods (just to look) before they close then back to Piccadilly Circus area for Saturday evening both for shopping and general activity around there. Not sure where we will eat that evening but for sure it will be somewhere inexpensive before heading back to Euston area by taxi. Is this at all practical in one afternoon/evening?

2. Sunday Morning figured to go to very early to Westminster tube station and then walk (hike) & bus past Parliament and over to the London Eye when it opens at 10am to do that if we can. Then catch one of the Thames boats to Greenwich for lunch and the Observatory. We understand there is more going on in that area on Sunday's than weekdays though late April mey be too early in the season. Returning to Euston area later via DLR to Covent Garden area for dinner then Tube or taxi back to hotel. Are the restaurants in CG area open later than the market on Sunday?

3. Monday...The Tower. Early to St. Paul's Cathedral for a look-see there then to the Tower to tour that. Afterwards we'll see what time there is left and figure where to have dinner. Probably have to get to hotel early to pack up for trip to Heathrow at 7am next morning. Are St. Paul's and the Tower possible in same day?

Also...we are prepared for any weather so not expecting blue sky and warm. Any comments and critiques (especially from locals) of the above would be very much appreciated.

1. After BM we were considering a quick visit at Harrods (just to look) before they close then back to Piccadilly Circus area for Saturday evening both for shopping and general activity around there. Not sure where we will eat that evening but for sure it will be somewhere inexpensive before heading back to Euston area by taxi. Is this at all practical in one afternoon/evening?
I think Harrods is open until 8 pm on Saturdays, so you'd have time to have a quick look. But I have to say that I doubt you'll get much out of the visit. Maybe that's just a jaded Londoner's view, but it's not really a very useful shop. There are nicer department stores in London, if seeing a department store is really what you want to do with your limited London time.
2. ... Are the restaurants in CG area open later than the market on Sunday?
Most restaurants will be open more or less for their normal dinner hours, although there are a few restaurants that are not open on Sunday evenings and some close a little bit earlier than on weekdays. You might want to note that the DLR will only take you as far as Bank or Tower Gateway station, and you'll have to change to the Tube or a bus to get to Covent Garden. Either may be problematic for you, and a taxi for the last bit may be easier.
3. Monday...The Tower. Early to St. Paul's Cathedral for a look-see there then to the Tower to tour that. Afterwards we'll see what time there is left and figure where to have dinner. Probably have to get to hotel early to pack up for trip to Heathrow at 7am next morning. Are St. Paul's and the Tower possible in same day?
This will be no problem.

Have you looked into pre-booking the London Eye? They also have a package that includes a meal in a choice of restaurants. I think they have meal packages that start at around 27.50 GBP for meal and LE ticket.

Sequim88 -

I would defiantly visit Harrods it is the must see department store of London, there are indeed other stores but Harrods is very unique I would

Stick with your plan. As a regular London visitor my only advice would be to try and cut some things out of your tour. Spend more time doing one thing rather than trying to fit a lot into a small time period.

Also try and wonder away the usual tourist trails, London can be a great place to just wonder you will come across great independent shops.

If you like books it's not on many peoples places to visit go to the British Library there you can see works by Jane Austen Charles Dickens, Bronte etc every thing you can think of, you will need to book a pass before you go.

Food wise there are a number of chain pubs that offer two meals for £10.00 etc.

You will enjoy London is a great city with loads to do and see.

Have fun.

Sequim88,

I would suggest doing the London Eye, then a boat trip from Westminster Pier to Tower Pier, then visit the Tower. TheThames below Tower Bridge is not very interesting. Wll save you time.

Do St.Pauls, then take DLR to Cutty Sark (Greenwich). The Royal Obervatory is situated in the middle of Greenwich Park and there is a long walk (uphill from Greenwich town centre), alternative take a bus to Blackheath and walk from there (flat).

Ron

Thanks much to all. I will work all the suggestions into a revised plan tonight. Especially the "least wasted time" routings. We had thought Greenwich might be "nicer" on a weekend but have reconsidered since being in a park setting it might be busier then...especially if it is a nice Spring day and everyone is clamoring to "get out".

One other question....in the spirit of "wandering about" how much of a walk & roll would it be from Euston Station to the British Museum? GoogleEarth says it is only 3/4 mile as the crow flies but is a pretty straight shot so walking would not be much different. Probably down Gower St. Doable on a Saturday at noon? When we have visited our son in NYC we walk everywhere so we are pretty used to this. Fresh off the shuttle van from Southampton I think this this might be a great first impression exposure opportunity for London.

One other question....in the spirit of "wandering about" how much of a walk & roll would it be from Euston Station to the British Museum? GoogleEarth says it is only 3/4 mile as the crow flies but is a pretty straight shot so walking would not be much different. Probably down Gower St. Doable on a Saturday at noon?
No problem.

But - although I will probably get disagreed with again! :) - Gower Street is not a terribly interesting walk. It might be more fun to wander down some of the side streets just to the east, which will take you closer to or even through parts of the university.

Archived