Which ship to choose??!

A2Zmom

We are looking for a cruise departing on January 18th, 2009. We will be taking our 2 kids who will be 3 & 1. We have narrowed it down to 3 ships but have some concerns with each.

1. Crown Princess- we were on the Coral princess in the past (no kids)and it proved to be quite disappointing, but I heard the kids program is great.

2. Celebrity Solstice- new ship so no reviews out yet. We've never sailed on celebrity before. Pricier than Princess...would cost us approx $800-$1000 more than Princess.

3. RCCL Freedom on the Seas- Been on RRCL before and really liked it, but this boat is HUGE...maybe too huge??

We will also be with our nieces who will be 8 & 6.

Which of these 3 would be my best choice for our family trip??

Any help would be great! Thanks!! :)

We are looking for a cruise departing on January 18th, 2009. We will be taking our 2 kids who will be 3 & 1. We have narrowed it down to 3 ships but have some concerns with each.

1. Crown Princess- we were on the Coral princess in the past (no kids)and it proved to be quite disappointing, but I heard the kids program is great.

2. Celebrity Solstice- new ship so no reviews out yet. We've never sailed on celebrity before. Pricier than Princess...would cost us approx $800-$1000 more than Princess.

3. RCCL Freedom on the Seas- Been on RRCL before and really liked it, but this boat is HUGE...maybe too huge??

We will also be with our nieces who will be 8 & 6.

Which of these 3 would be my best choice for our family trip??

Any help would be great! Thanks!! :)

My 2cents with an 8, 6, 3, and 1 you'll have a big spread of kid ages? If Celebrity is being considered why not Disney? Its been years since I did Disney but that is my first choice ( I'm not a Micky crazed fan either). Its the combo of kid friendly programs, fun themes, and overall ambience of the adults who understand its going to be a cruise with lots of kids. On the other cruise, and the more expensive ones for sure, their will be a crowd of cruises with no kids that will snicker or worse about them kids being kids in the pool, in the public areas and at formal dinner. Carnival was the best example they were true to character and had a hairy back competition and waiters dancing on the tables on the last night, fine examples of things I wasn't to interested in having my kids see as examples of "fun" things to do.

Not knowning where you are going and only the Cruise line reputation I'd say all things being equal it woudl be 1) RCL, 2) Princess, 3) Celebrity. I

I wouldn't sweat new ship if it isn't the maiden voyge. If you are into a little more exclusive/elegant crusing and your pocket book is deep then the order would be reversed

For overall kid friendly after doing Disney, Carnival, and Princess, I rank them in that order. I was really trying to get RCL for this upcoming cruise but once I saw the Princess ports that was done deal :D

Disney wasn't an option because we have no flexibility with our departure date and there are no Disney cruises leaving on Jan 18th, 2009. They all depart on the 17th.

thanks for you comments!!

We were on RC Enchantment of the Seas in January with our 3 year old, and she really enjoyed Adventure Ocean, the kids program. We're booked to go on the Liberty in November, so I can relate your comment about whether the ship might be too huge! But the big draw for us is that there are so many great things to do, which would be a plus in your situation with all the different ages.

Oh yeah, the others reading this will be shocked to see me say "FREEDOM ALL THE WAY!!!!" :D ;)

Sorry, Freedom ruined us for any other ship/cruisline. It was the best cruise ever. My kids don't want to go on any other ship class/line. They are hooked on Freedom Class. We are jumping up to Genesis class. That's the reason we're not cruising this year, we're waiting for Genesis to come out and I am holding money to put as a deposit when Genesis bookings open up.

Disney, we were bored (sorry). You were already disappointed in Princess. And you liked RCCL, so why risk it? ;) :D

Those are 3 of the ships on my list of possibilities for Feb 15, 2009. We're just at the beginning stages of planning and my whole family might be going. My Mom would prefer Eastern but the choices are limited for that week. FOS is going Western that week, but I would love to give RCL a try! Feb 15 is DS's 2nd bday, so I'm researching ships programs for 2 year olds.

I vote Freedom... not because I've been on her, but because I want to sooooo badly!!! :D We had plans to book this year, but then decided it was baby time again. ;) SO... I'll have to live vicariously through you. Good luck!

Archived