Keeping an Eye on Your Kids

Hi everyone was just wondering if your child is in the kiddies club how do they contact you in an emergency? I just keep having visions of my DD going overboard when playing there! I know this is stupid and they probably don't even leave the rooms there in...right? Also if for some reason she wanted to leave the club early how would they contact us to let us know? Can someone wash (no pun intended) my worries away? :(

What age are your kids? Which ship are you on? The younger Aquanauts group (3-5 year olds) you can receive a beeper and they will beep you if they or your child need you. For the older groups I'm not sure you have that option.

The kids mostly stayed in the Adventure Ocean area, but there were planned activities throughout the ship. We were on the Mariner recently with my 6 and 3 year old and they had a ball and actually refused to leave the kids club to go to the beach. (We made them go anyway :p) The counselors did a good job of keeping all the kids together and making sure they were properly signed in and out.

Let me know if you need any other details.

The kids are basically kept indoors, if they are going to be moved for a specific activity, you are told in advance and you can either sign them out or follow them.

The first time I left my son at camp I drove him crazy, he kept begging me to leave him alone. He loves it. A cruise is his favorite vacation, even over amusement parks now. (He is 9)

They are very well supervised and you sign them out every three hours for breaks anyway.

Recently on Liberty of the Seas they had cell phones that worked only on the ship that they would give you when you checked your child into the program. This was for all the 3-5 age kids and optional for the older groups and there was no cost but you only got it while your kids were checked in. They've also started putting wrist bands on the kids when you check them in that have GPS tracking devices on them (believe it!) and they log the number of the device and which child it is into their computer so they can locate them if they somehow manage to slip away from the group. Honestly I can't see how a child could slip away but I guess it's possible. The counselors in there always seemed to be on top of things and totally in control of the groups - even when they left the center to go down to the Promenade for the kids pirate parade or when they went to Johnny Rockets or Windjammer to eat...they take very good care of your kids!

You can always check in. AO is a fairly convenient location and we dropped in frequently. Our son was younder (3) and they did contact us once because he was really tired. We were really glad that they did and made us feel that they were mindful of the kids needs (he wasn't being disruptive but told them he was tired and wanted a nap- so they passed the message along).

My son is 7 and loves AO too. They have always taken very good care of him, but I still try to go by every hour or so. Guess it's a mom thing. He's always having a fantastic time and never wants to leave--he'll give me a thumbs up to mean YES, I'M STILL FINE!!!

Rushtonfamily...talk to the AO staff about your concerns and see if you can have a beeper. Years ago, when DD was about your childs age, they gave us a beeper as I also had concerns, my DD has many medical issues. We was beeped once, but it was only because DD was wondering if having a pizza snack would ruin her dinner, LOL.

We always take walkie-talkies for everyone in our group (including kids). The ships are huge and its easy to lose people. My kids just buzz me when they need me or I can check on them without going all the way there.

We always take walkie-talkies for everyone in our group (including kids). The ships are huge and its easy to lose people. My kids just buzz me when they need me or I can check on them without going all the way there.

I've had limited success with our radios onboard, with iffy reception. What kind of radios do you use?

I was worried before our first cruise but once you get onboard the ship you will see how difficult it would be to fall overboard. It's actually impossible to do so by accident, you would really have to try hard to accomplish it. The railings are over 4 feet high, I'm 5'6" and it comes up to my chest and there is plexiglass around them for wind control. There are no spaces where a baby could crawl through. Even on the balcony cabins, the rails are higher than my waist, you would have to climb up and over.

I even think it would be terribly hard for another person to throw someone else overboard. They could not be pushed off, the person would have to be lifted higher than 4 feet and forcefully thrown, even a very strong man would have a hard time doing that with a tiny woman.

There are sometimes a few people you wish you could throw overboard :D

I've had limited success with our radios onboard, with iffy reception. What kind of radios do you use?

I'll have to look for them and let you know (I think they are in my beach bag in the attic), but we've always had pretty good luck with them. I know the kids had the Disney ones but they drove me crazy because the talkies would add things on in character voices like over in Donald's voice.

They're a little less "protective" of the kids once they get to the 9-11 year old category. My son was in that group on our latest cruise, and though they stayed in the AO area most of the time, they had a couple scavenger hunts during the week. The kids were divided into groups and sent out to find various items around the ship. They were given rules on where they could and could not go and a time frame that they must be back, but they were not "chaperoned" during these scavenger hunts. We were OK with that, but some parents might feel uneasy about it. I'm pretty certain that the younger age groups are never allowed to be unsupervised, though.

They're a little less "protective" of the kids once they get to the 9-11 year old category. My son was in that group on our latest cruise, and though they stayed in the AO area most of the time, they had a couple scavenger hunts during the week. The kids were divided into groups and sent out to find various items around the ship. They were given rules on where they could and could not go and a time frame that they must be back, but they were not "chaperoned" during these scavenger hunts. We were OK with that, but some parents might feel uneasy about it. I'm pretty certain that the younger age groups are never allowed to be unsupervised, though.

When you sign up the kids in the 9-11 group, they specifically ask you if you want your child to participate in the scavenger hunts where they are with groups of kids, but not directly supervised. If you want your kids to participate, you have to sign a specific area on their registration form.

My daughter is 11 and loved the club. We would drop her off, and usually check back in an hour or hour and a half to see if she was ready to go. Most of the times she told us to come back later!

Ah . . . I didn't realize that about the scavenger hunts. My wife was the one who filled out the registration paperwork, so she probably signed something like that. I guess it's good to know that, if you are uncomfortable with that, you can say no. That was one of his favorite parts of the AO activities, though. I knew that allowing the kids to sign themselves in or out was a parental option at this age. We chose not to let him sign himself out.

I just wanted to say that I signed the form that my DD wasn't allowed to go and they called me to ask again, because she was the only one not allowed. I just went up there and went with her group on the hunt. I bought her group ice cream at B&J's to lesson her embarressment.

Glad to hear good reviews from the Ocean Adventures Club for the kids.

Cruising in June with Son, daughter-in-law and grandson who will be 9. We were just talking about that very think today. I think Granny is as much worry as the parents. Both are in education. DIL is a pre school teacher and I was telling her today that I had talked with RCI about the OA and that the lady on the phone was telling me that the RCI OA employees in most cases have more degree's that most teachers in our schools.

Marcy

Archived