A no-real-news update on the NCLA-Hawaii thing

Sundagger

Apparently the proposed changes in interpretation of the PSVA are being reviewed by the Dept. of Homeland Security. FWIW, there was an article in a Hawaiian newspaper about a letter written by Gov. Schwartzenegger and Gov. Lingle to Secretary Chertoff:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080404/BREAKING01/80404041/-1/LOCALNEWSFRONT

No REAL news, but the proposal is inching its way through the bureacracy.

If you're not familiar with the changes proposed, there is an extremely long thread on the Ask a Cruise Question board (I could never summarize it):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=687517

Thanks for the link to the story. Hopefully, their voices will be heard.

One thing about the newspaper's reporting bothers me. It could lead readers to an erroneous conclusion. Here's the part:

"Almost all cruise ships operating from U.S. ports are registered in foreign nations to avoid the cost of meeting U.S. labor, health, safety and environmental standards."

It comes across like the foreign ships have no such rules, or minimal ones. You and I know better, but most readers would deduce that these foreign ships are bad news for employees, passengers, and the environment. :(

Obviously the person writing the following has never been on a cruise ship that entered US waters after being in Europe, Asia, Africa or South America for foreign waters for some time. The in-depth checks performed by by both the US Coast Guard and the Health Department (or whoever checks the food areas) are extensive and very, very serious. I have personally witnessed several of them in both Florida and California. Too bad they are spreading such inaccurate information.

"Almost all cruise ships operating from U.S. ports are registered in foreign nations to avoid the cost of meeting U.S. labor, health, safety and environmental standards."

We have been to Ensenada by car (great rest after several mos of 7 day weeks) and Hawaii by air (Wonderful place). We wanted to book a week cruising from one island to another, but none was available. The TA booked us for 3 days on Kuaii and 4 days on Maui. If we go again, we will fly straight to Maui. :D

Archived