Destiny passengers robbed in Antigua on Wed.

bubbles1209

HORRIBLE! I hate to even think about it for anybody.

With that said, I sure wouldn't leave a bag with $1500.00 in laying on the beach unattended while I swam, we would have to swim in shifts or use a beachsafe/waterproof item to wear while in the water.

I would not want to get robbed but a least it didn't turn violent and there OK
When we were in Puerto Vallarta on 3-26-08 a spring breaker was shot and killed in a robbery in broad daylight. Ya gotta be careful out there.

Common sense rules! I, personally, wouldn't leave bags of anything or a camera sitting on ANY beach unattended... Erie, PA included!:o

There are lots and lots of poor people in other countries, as well as our own, and being cautious is something everyone should practice.:)

Its too bad these things happen, but 'making it easier' for someone to steal something is senseless.. Like leaving one's keys in the ignition while running into a convenience store! Happens every day...:p :rolleyes:

I am really sorry these peopled were robbed, however why in the world would you leave valubles laying unattended, that is just saying come take me and like one poster said, they should have swam in shifts, i do not take a lot of cash when i travel i use my cc at least if that is stolen i can call and cancel the card or travelers cheques, again i am truly sorry that happened to them but i feel they should have been a little more cautious especially when they were in a foriegn land, jmho

I am really sorry these peopled were robbed, however why in the world would you leave valubles laying unattended, that is just saying come take me and like one poster said, they should have swam in shifts, i do not take a lot of cash when i travel i use my cc at least if that is stolen i can call and cancel the card or travelers cheques, again i am truly sorry that happened to them but i feel they should have been a little more cautious especially when they were in a foriegn land, jmho
There are thieves right on the cruise ships,so you have to be careful in or off the ship,why do you need a cell phone on the beach in a foreign country unless you are a CEO of a fortune 500 company.Something smells bit fishy,maybe they wanted some OBC from the cruiseline for their stupidity.

I would not want to get robbed but a least it didn't turn violent and there OK

Yeah, that was my first fear when seeing that title! Losing your belongings isn't as bad as losing your life to some punk hoodlum. I'm thankful no one was injured and that they at least got some of their stuff back.

Pete

It is not much different from any place here in the States. I wouldn't leave my stuff unattended on the shore of our local lake. I don't care where you are, you have to be on your toes.

Everyone is smashing these people for going swimming at a beach. (having 1500 in cash IS just stupid) but I know when I'm in my ports that I'll be taking a dip too. I'm not going to go back tot he ship lock my stuff up, go to the beach, swim, then do it all in reverse!! It's unfortunate, but it's not "common sense" to not go swimming at the beach.

And taking shifts swimming?? really you'd sacrifice having a good time in the water witht he poeple you cruise with just to be sure nobody takes your stuff? What if someone takes your cruise buddy because he/she was by themselves??

I suppose staying a little shallower and making sure your stuff isn't back by the road is a good idea, but if you are paranoid about it all the tgime, how are you going to enjoy your vacation???

Everyone is smashing these people for going swimming at a beach. (having 1500 in cash IS just stupid) but I know when I'm in my ports that I'll be taking a dip too. I'm not going to go back tot he ship lock my stuff up, go to the beach, swim, then do it all in reverse!! It's unfortunate, but it's not "common sense" to not go swimming at the beach.

And taking shifts swimming?? really you'd sacrifice having a good time in the water witht he poeple you cruise with just to be sure nobody takes your stuff? What if someone takes your cruise buddy because he/she was by themselves??

I suppose staying a little shallower and making sure your stuff isn't back by the road is a good idea, but if you are paranoid about it all the tgime, how are you going to enjoy your vacation???

I thought the ship docks in Antigua on a Friday?

I have very little faith in the intellectual level of most of the people in the world. After all, remember that the average IQ is 100 so 50% of the people have an IQ less than 50.

That said, nobody could be THAT stupid that they would leave $1500, 2 cameras, and a lot of other stuff on the beach and wander off. I wonder how much insurance they had on theft loss? It would be interesting to know.

DON

...and I was having a quiet chuckle to myself.
It's more like they have no common sense,i know a few people with phd's that does some real stupid things,and the insurance part makes sense,i saw people do it recently at a hotel resort in Tobago,broke into their own hotel room at 2:00am and claim they were robbed of money,cell phones etc.

I thought the ship docks in Antigua on a Friday?

It was Friday when I was there, but I think the new itinerary (adding St. Kitts) might have altered the day.

You have to love the sensationalism of journalism. :rolleyes: Robbery envokes the mental image of people being held by force and being robbed of their possessions. Bad wording choice.

I have a hard time mustering up sympathy for these people. All I can really say is "Duh, what did you expect?" I won't even put my purse on the floor in a bathroom stall (which never has that much cash and besides the gross factor) yet alone leave $1500 unattended on a beach in a foreign country or even here, for that matter. Duh.

Archived