Risk of Hurricanes in late September. Worth the risk?

mikeerdas

I'm looking at eastern (as well as western) caribbean cruises for late Sept 2008. Of course that's hurricane season. My wife tells me not to worry, but what level of risk are we putting ourselves at if we book for late September? We are leaning toward eastern caribb, of which St Thomas/St. John look like the most interesting places (I like to hike) on the cruise.

So:

* How likely is it that all or most of our 7 day cruise would be cloudy/rainy for entire days?

* What happens if a full blown hurricane comes our way? Do cruises get cancelled completely, and so should I purchase the extortionist travel insurance? Wonder if travel insurance that comes free by using particular credit cards is any good

Mike

I'm looking at eastern (as well as western) caribbean cruises for late Sept 2008. Of course that's hurricane season. My wife tells me not to worry, but what level of risk are we putting ourselves at if we book for late September? We are leaning toward eastern caribb, of which St Thomas/St. John look like the most interesting places (I like to hike) on the cruise.

So:

* How likely is it that all or most of our 7 day cruise would be cloudy/rainy for entire days?

* What happens if a full blown hurricane comes our way? Do cruises get cancelled completely, and so should I purchase the extortionist travel insurance? Wonder if travel insurance that comes free by using particular credit cards is any good

Mike

Anything is possible that time of year. Keep an eye on the Hurricane Info Sites....and plan ahead.

The cruise lines will keep you safe - they might change where you go, might have to skip ports, etc. If anything like that would upset you -Don't Book.

I had one of my 7 day cruises turn into a 9 day.

I had other cruises where we had to skip ports - sometimes we could substitute a port (but not easy to do-can't just "drop in"). We got our port charges refunded. One cruise gave us 2 Hour Free Rum Punches at any bar/lounge, another one threw a Rum Punch party, free glass of champagne with dinner.

If a cruise gets caught out at sea and extends the length and you are on the next cruise, your cruise would/could be shortened (they did offer to let you cancel with no penalty or gave shipboard credit and a discount on next cruise).

So:

Getting hit by a full blown hurricaine is probably not likely even though it is hurricaine season. More likely is lousy weather, rain, high tides and generally not great beach/snorkeling conditions.

If known in advance the cruise lines will try to change the itinerary to avoid the hurricaine. Again the issue will not be a direct hit but rather the general impact that a hurricaine will have on the entire region in terms of lousy, but maybe not technicaly hurricaine, weather. I don't know if travel insurance covers you if there is bad weather/hurricaines if the ship leaves and chooses another itinerary.

Mike

There is a reason that the cruise lines discount the fares during hurricaine season. It is not as popular a time to travel the Caribbean.

Archived