New to Princess and considering Caribbean Princess

queenteacher

We are planning our 2009 summer cruise and I really like the itinerary for the 9 day Bermuda/Caribbean on the Caribbean Princess. We have sailed extensively on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America and Cunard. We thought we would try Princess this time.

I would like opinions of this particular ship. Also, we are booking a balcony cabin so any ideas are helpful. I am debating between a regular balcony and a mini-suite. The difference between the 2 is only $400 per couple so the price isn't the issue.

On Carnival & Royal Caribbean I can get really nice corner aft balcony's that are huge. Are there any cabins on Princess that offer extra large balcony's that are not the penthouse suites? I know that there are often certain cabins that offer these 'larger' balcony's.

Thanks for your help!

The Caribbean Princess is a great ship! Very clean and well maintained.

The flow of traffic and passengers onboard is very good, so you wont ever feell packed/jammed/crowded into the ship, regardless of the number of people onboard. You might encounter lines around breakfast and lunch at the Horizon Court, though.

As for cabins, the Caribe deck mini suites have half covered and half exposed balconies, so you get the best of both worlds. On the other hand, the Dolphin deck mini suites have larger balconies, for basically the same price, that are completely uncovered.

I think you will find Princess to be a very nice experience. I have been on the Caribbean Princess twice and both cruises were amazing. The best balcony's can be found on the Caribe deck. For a mini-suite, dolphin deck has nice balconies but they are completely uncovered and people can look down on you from above. The Caribe balconies are half covered and half uncovered. Great balconies can also be had in the stern of the ship.

I see nice Balcony's on the Caribe deck. These would be partially covered correct?

I only see Mini Suites on the Dolphin and Emerald Deck. I understand on the Dolphin Deck they are uncovered and people can look down into your balcony. This is a NO GO if true. Can someone please confirm this. What do you know about the Emerald Deck.

Also, is there anything special we get with the mini-suite besides a tub and a larger room?

Thanks so much!

The Caribe balconies are partially covered. As far as mini's go, Emerald would be your best bet as the balconies are private. On dolphin people will be able to look at you. The mini-suites give you an extra sitting area and another TV. There will be a bedroom and a sitting room with a couch and a TV. In a balcony cabin you will just have the bedroom and no couch, only a chair.

Beware of Princess Cruises...they charged us for another ladies room charges and would not give the money back...they said we had to prove she was not on our account????????????They never admitted the rror and we have nevr recieved and apology or a callor anything....PRINCESS IS THE WORST.

Beware of Princess Cruises...they charged us for another ladies room charges and would not give the money back...they said we had to prove she was not on our account????????????They never admitted the rror and we have nevr recieved and apology or a callor anything....PRINCESS IS THE WORST.

Hit the bricks, will ya? Im sure this either a lie or a very isolated incident. Pay no attention.

IF you don't want to pay extra for a mini suite try and get C752 or C753 aft cabins if they are available. (They do sell out fast though).

They have bigger balconies, totally covered and you only have neighbors on one side of you. I love these balconies!!!!!

I was concerned I would be overwhelmed by the amount of people on the CB as we had only been on a smaller ship before (Island Princess). I asked that question here and the kind people on this board told me that they only place I would see a lot of people would be at the buffet and a few public areas like the pool. They were so correct and I hardly noticed the amount of people other than that so I was not overwhelmed at all. I had thought the Island Princess was a beautiful ship but the Caribbean Princess is my favorite now. I was so glad we were on her for 2 weeks and I soaked in as much of her as I could. I would definitely go on the CB for another cruise when we are able.

I would never take advice from you. I don't even know you and you are a complainer. I asked for advice about the ship and balcony cabins. Plus..you don't know how to spell!!!!!

IF you don't want to pay extra for a mini suite try and get C752 or C753 aft cabins if they are available. (They do sell out fast though).

They have bigger balconies, totally covered and you only have neighbors on one side of you. I love these balconies!!!!!

Do you know what category these cabins are? I am still figuring out the decks and categories! I do love the aft cabins! I am most interested in the size of the balcony as that is where we spend most of our time. The bathtub is nice, but from past experience, not altogether that great!

I am sailing this summer for the second time on the Caribbean Princess. We are in C722 on the Caribe deck and I am so excited about the size of the balcony and also the privacy of being in the back. Good luck in your decision.

You will love the ship!

I am absorbing and taking notes! It looks like the Caribe deck is the most popular with good cabins. I will take a look at yours. I am hoping that since we are booking over a year out, I can pick my cabin!

I will look forward to hearing about your trip!

Do you know what category these cabins are? I am still figuring out the decks and categories! I do love the aft cabins! I am most interested in the size of the balcony as that is where we spend most of our time. The bathtub is nice, but from past experience, not altogether that great!

C 752 & 753 are category BB cabins

I am sailing this summer for the second time on the Caribbean Princess.

Me too! The 22 June sailing, when school lets out as my fiancée is a Kindergarten teacher.

queenteacher, you've been on quite an assortment of lines. I believe you will find Princess to be a very well-balanced cruise line.

The Caribbean Princess was my first sailing after a several year layoff from cruising. She completely reinvigorated my "cruise addict" status. "Hello, my name is Griff, I am a Cruise Addict, and I really have no desire to be 'cured' !" I look forward to sailing on her again with my soon-to-be wife. Cruise honeymoon? Easy decision. The Caribbean Princess? A very easy decision.

Comfortable and polished are how I describe the Caribbean Princess. I really believe you will have a wonderful time.

As for IIcorporal (I've demoted him), he has been whining about his bill everywhere he can, on many threads. The one time I had a problem with my bill, Princess took care of it promptly. Sometimes it's amazing the service you receive when you talk TO people and not AT them. He probably lost his cruise card and didn't report it. Anyhow, the Corporal probably receives poor service lots of places, and it is everyone else's fault.

Have a great time on the Caribbean Princess.

The board has given me good advice on cabins to pick. I know the pro's and con's of most cruises and have yet to have 1 bad experience. It is amazing how well they manage with 3000 on board. I wait longer at Chili's then I do on the cruise ships!

Now, my next set of questions :)!

1) We like to bring wine on board with us to drink in our room, is that a problem with Princess?

2) How does the flex dining work? Is it similar to open seating during breakfast and lunch on the other ships?

3) Do you have to pick flex or set dining when you book?

4) What are the best kept secrets on the Caribbean Princess

5) Finally...why does everyone use CB?

Thanks!

The board has given me good advice on cabins to pick. I know the pro's and con's of most cruises and have yet to have 1 bad experience. It is amazing how well they manage with 3000 on board. I wait longer at Chili's then I do on the cruise ships!

1) We like to bring wine on board with us to drink in our room, is that a problem with Princess?

Passengers are permitted to bring wine onboard; although there's some debate over how stringently Princess enforces the one-bottle-per-person limit.

2) How does the flex dining work? Is it similar to open seating during breakfast and lunch on the other ships?

Yes, you can just go to the Anytime Dining Room (there are 2 on the CB) anytime they're open (get it? Anytime? Hee hee.) You can be seated with others or request a table alone; there may or may not be a wait -- the longest ones are always on the first formal night, right after the Captain has finished his welcome speech. They issue pagers and you can relax in the bar nearby and have a drink while waiting. You can also make reservations in the morning for a set time, although there can be limitations on those during peak dining hours.

3) Do you have to pick flex or set dining when you book?

Yes, you choose either Anytime or Traditional. Traditional generally books up first, so if you think there's at all a chance you'll want it, book it -- it's easier to switch to Anytime than switch into Traditional.

I haven't sailed her, so I'll let someone else cover this -- but I think there's a whole thread somewhere on the Princess board about the Caribbean Princess and her "secrets" -- shouldn't be that hard to find.

Just to confuse and aggravate newbies. No, seriously, it's Princess's own two-letter designation for the Caribbean Princess -- all the ships have their own unique code, some of which don't seem 100% logical (Crown Princess = KP). CB is quicker to type than Caribbean -- especially for those people who can't spell well -- and you all know who you are.

Thanks!

Hope this helps.

1) We like to bring wine on board with us to drink in our room, is that a problem with Princess? Not at all, Princess allows you to bring 2 bottles on board but a lot of people bring 4-5 bottles.

2) How does the flex dining work? Is it similar to open seating during breakfast and lunch on the other ships? It is an open seating philosophy. You have to choose it because if you have traditional dining they wont let you into the anytime dining. You just walk up, say I want a table for however many you have and you will be seated. There may be a short wait, but I have yet to encounter one. Another thing you can do is make a reservation there or have a standing reservation. If you like to eat at 615 you can reserve a table at 615 every night with the same waitstaff.

3) Do you have to pick flex or set dining when you book? Yes

The adults only pool is great, it has a swim against the current machine. Free ice cream everyday in the horizon court between 330-430.

Princess has 2 letter designations for all of their ships. CP was already taken by the Sea Princess. Get it, C Princess... lol

Thanks!

Hope this helps!

Archived