Haines Photo Excursione?

testerlady

My DH and I are going on the 6/26 Dawn Princess SF-Alaska cruise and there is an excursion in Haines in which a photographer takes people around to places for really nice photos. Has anyone been on this excursion? It sounds like something we might enjoy, especially my DH who just bought a new camera for the cruise. There isn't much information on Princess's site about it. This is our first cruise and I wasn't sure where I could find out more. This seemed like a good place to start. Thanks for any info you can give me.

We did the Alaska Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve in Haines. There were lots of photo opportunity's there. After that we did the Red Onion excursion. We fit both of them in in one day. We got back as soon as the Red onion tour was about to leave. We had them wait until I went on board the ship and

grabbed our tickets. It only took me 10 minutes for me to grab them. I had to run like the wind.:D

Frankly, ALL of Alaska is a photo excursion. :) Post the tour description to get more information, especially where they "go"???

This is all it says on the site.

This tour provides the opportunity to photograph the stunning scenery and wildlife of the Chilkat Valley with a local, professional photographer.

Your guide chooses locations based on the group's interest and the season. Some locations lend themselves to longer or shorter stops, depending on lighting, wildlife activity and weather. You may photograph bears along the Chilkoot River, an explosion of wildflowers with the Rainbow Glacier as a backdrop or young bald eagles exercising their wings at the edge of their nest.

Regardless of skill level or camera type, your guide works to insure everyone's photographic abilities are improved. Your guide suggests shots and discusses issues such as exposure, use of flash and depth of field. Group size is limited to ensure a comfortable and interactive atmosphere. Bring your own camera and plenty of film.

Learn about Haines' natural wonders and capture memories of a lifetime.

Maybe the bald eagle preserve would be better. It's hard to decide.

I haven't taken a photography tour but I think the advantage to such a tour for a photographer is that there will be fewer people and the pace will be slower giving you more time to set up a tripod and such. We are looking at the photo tours available at several ports, trying to decide if we want to take one of them. I have seen both good and bad reviews of some of them.

In Haines, do not expect any wildlife except eagles. On this tour, I would expect some very good photo opportunities. On average, less than 25% of the tours see other wildlife, including sightings way way off, meaning "moose dots". :) Bears very rare unless very late in the season, due to the late salmon runs in Haines.

Are there actually many eagles at the Haines preserve outside of the winter? I wouldn't think there would be that many to see.

Correct, no where near the numbers in those photos. :) Some- there.

Archived