Bag for excursions

puggal

I'm trying to figure out what type of bag or backpack to take on excursions. I've got a beach tote bag but thought that might be too big. I think I'm only needing to take on excursions my seapass, camera, and sunblock. If this is all I need then the beach bag would be too big. I could sure use some suggestions. What do you take? This is my first cruise, going on the Mariner in June.

Something like this? http://www.eastbay.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?model_nbr=93947&sku=2588015&SID=8719&inceptor=1&cm_mmc=SEM-_-Feeds-_-Bizrate-_-null

Lightweight. FYI- They come in brands other than Nike, so you don't have to walk around with a big Nike check on your back.

ETA- I found a cute one made by Crocs http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?quantity=1&itemNumber=28503&type=Product

I bought this great bag at American Eagle Outfitters. I liked it because you can convert it into many ways depending on what your needs are. It is on clearance online but you can buy it even cheaper at the store. It has lots of pockets inside as well.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat90108&productId=prod2330063

0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg

I bought this great bag at American Eagle Outfitters. I liked it because you can convert it into many ways depending on what your needs are. It is on clearance online but you can buy it even cheaper at the store. It has lots of pockets inside as well.

http://www.ae.com/web/browse/product.jsp?catId=cat90108&productId=prod2330063

0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg0427_7680_212.jpg

I just got this bag in green - and was going to suggest it too! I love the pockets and the fact that you can snap it smaller if you want. I get stuck taking all my hubby's things in my bag as well - so it is two towels, his glasses and my glasses, his book and my book, you get the picture!:rolleyes:

I just got this bag in green - and was going to suggest it too! I love the pockets and the fact that you can snap it smaller if you want. I get stuck taking all my hubby's things in my bag as well - so it is two towels, his glasses and my glasses, his book and my book, you get the picture!:rolleyes:

I know what you mean. I was searching for bags online for a few days and came up with this one. I also loved it because it had a zipper for security reasons.

I actually just used a regular backpack. On a side note though, when we'd go on shore, we would take the locks we had used on our luggage (the combination kind) and put those through the holes on the zippers. That way you don't have to worry about someone getting into your bag if you go for a dip in the ocean or something.

Like MsDee23 and home_sea_home, I'm a fan of backpacks/cinch sacks as I like having my hands free when I'm exploring a port. I have a cute one from Ron Jon's Surf Shop similar to this one. They are light, carry a good amount, and are easy to clean.

10900507d.jpg

I have a few different bags like this that I carry on excursions:

http://www.ebags.com/baggallini/uptown_bagg_crinkle_nylon/product_detail/index.cfm?modelid=107614

1. It's gender neutral enough that my DH would carry it.

2. It has a zipper compartment that lies against the body where you can stash the important stuff.

3. It's lightweight and can hold the essentials...sunscreen, water, camera.

4. You can slide it around to your front when you're in a crowd of people (like on the metro).

5. It sits close on your body so it's a bit harder to snatch than a handbag or tote bag.

I've never had one stolen or anything out of one stolen. I carry the money, passports, etc. in that inside zipper compartment. When we were in Barcelona on the metro I watched a guy that was standing very close to my husband and I knew that he was probably a pickpocket...we've seen them before. I had been watching this guy since we waited at the station for the train...he was looking at everyone and it looked like he was sizing everyone up (I guess he sized up DH as a rube...LOL). Anyway, sure enough, when we got off the train, DH said that the guy lifted some papers from his back pocket...nothing of import..just some ticket stubs. I had all the good stuff in my bag in front of me!

I love these bags.

• 2 months later...

I have an awesome bag that I take on every vacation with me - you wear it across the body, it's made of REALLY sturdy canvas, has a cell phone pocket and a water bottle pocket. It's also used for "Concealed Carry" so it has a pocket on the outside and that's where I stash my money, ship card, etc - that pocket is close to the body and really well hidden. The bag is spendy - but I've had mine for 3 years and it still looks brand new.

Check it out here:

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4&idproduct=6

I went by Academy and bought this Mesh JanSport Bookbag. Do you all think Mesh would be ok or do I need something solid? Here is the link to see what it looks like http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/detail.aspx?ID=11087

TNB2_Pink-Dot-4RU.jpg

Oh, that's how you paste it. I hope you can see the photo. I wanted something big enough to fit my 40X70 beach towel and shoes and other stuff if I stop and shop. I also have a big beach tote that my sister bought while in Orlando. I thought about taking that but you carry that on your shoulder and buying a smaller bag like a bagallini to carry important documents in. Which one will be ok?

Erica

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate everyones input. Im still looking. I actually came across a Kipling bag at Macy's yesterday. They are cute, lightweight, and added to my decision making. I saw a very small purse that you could wear across the shoulder, in front of you for money and papers. There was also a matching shoulder bag that i could take for my camcorder, sunglasses, tissues, map, small camera and any incidentals i buy along the way.

I wanted to make sure i had my money secure but also room for purchases. Would carrying both be stupid?

Nora

For this exact reason, I have a bag that my husband doesn't mind carrying. I hate being the one who always has to do the lugging. I've had my bag for years, it's a very small duffle, kind of non-descript, doesn't look like a purse at all.

I like Vera Bradley.

so do I...even if they are not always practical...I just bought a large tote bag in a retiring pattern (i.e, on sale :) ) and a few matching accessories--such as the travel wallet--to use on my November cruise

I'm trying to figure out what type of bag or backpack to take on excursions. I've got a beach tote bag but thought that might be too big. I think I'm only needing to take on excursions my seapass, camera, and sunblock. If this is all I need then the beach bag would be too big. I could sure use some suggestions. What do you take? This is my first cruise, going on the Mariner in June.

I know this is a little pricey but this is what I use for all our trips

coachpe4.jpg

It has a side pocket on each side perfect for maps, cell phone, camera, etc..inside fits a sunblock bottle, small wallet, and other items you may need to take. they come in a variety of colors and to be honest i originally got it to go to Disney/universal studios (we go every year...sometimes twice ;) ) but it's very comfy, it's a sling so it feels secure...and best of all small. i even take it to go shopping. I'm sure other brands make similar styles that you can try for 1/3 of the cost but this style works great for me and i have 2 friends/1 cousin who also got one for the same reasons and they love it.

I saw these on HSN (home shopping network) but never bought it. Now I'm thinking this is what I want. They come in different colors and only 19.99! I watched as they put everything from water bottles to rolled up shirts. It expands as needed, otherwise if not filled stays flat. I think I'm going to order one!

Cathy

http://home-solutions.hsn.com/buxton-shoulder-leather-organizer_p-2223647_xp.aspx?web_id=4092960&ocm=sekw

Depending on what type of excursions I'm on ... I do one of three things

1. A wrist water wallet

2. or a travel bag http://www.baggallini.com/product1.asp?product=%27BVC311%27

3. or for the beach http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=58372&sc1=Search&feat=sr I used to have another tote by LL Bean, but found it to be too big and the canvas was heavy.

Jan

I just opened a new thread about the buxton bag a few mintues ago. #Wa wondering if anyone used those before and if they are too bulky looking for a petite person? Concerning the coach bag, I have a blue one similar to that one. The only complaint I have with it is that it is not wide enough to get too many things in it.

Archived