Answer needed by Kiwi CCers and others that know

mickalex

The cruise we are going on at the end of July means we are in Auckland twice. I worked as a ski instructor at perisher for 4 years, but living 800km away from the snow etc and putting it of as each new child was born{so they are over 3 and enjoy it etc etc}. I have been wondering if i can hire a car in Auckland and take them up for a quick play in the snow.

What is the closest snow to Auckland? Just for playing, does not need to be ski slope etc as there will not be enough time for skiing.

Lol, long question explanation for the small question!:D

Thank You

Mick

The cruise we are going on at the end of July means we are in Auckland twice. I worked as a ski instructor at perisher for 4 years, but living 800km away from the snow etc and putting it of as each new child was born{so they are over 3 and enjoy it etc etc}. I have been wondering if i can hire a car in Auckland and take them up for a quick play in the snow.

What is the closest snow to Auckland? Just for playing, does not need to be ski slope etc as there will not be enough time for skiing.

Thank You

Mick

hi mick, not being a kiwi but we have been over there a few times but i think the closet place to find snow is in the south island around queenstown, which is a long drive from auckland

Hi Mick

Unfortunately the snow is located on NZ'S South Island so located to far from Auckland to fit in with your cruise:( . Maybe a good excuse for another holiday to NZ in the future as the place is beautiful and snow in Queenstown well worth a visit:)

Thank You

Mick

Hi Mick.

take a 4 hour drive south of Auckland you will find snow alright.

Check out www.mtruapehu.com

Learn something new every day!

I always thought there was a few high mountains on the north island that got snow and they even had ski slopes.

Thanks for the replies, i can strike that one of the list od "to do's".

Mick

There certainly is good snow in the north island. You need to drive south of Auckland to Lake Taupo and then on to Mt Tongaririo and Mt Ruapheu. also nearby Mt Egmont.... Ruapheu was the only ski field when i was last there. Awesome area - great walks, very picturesque volcanoes.

The Ski Fields at Ruapehu are lovely.. About a 4-5hr drive (one way) from Auckland though, so not really a day trip option, but well worth it if you can get down there.

These photo's were taken in September 2003 when we visited there on my first visit to NZ.

2757984680078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

2593921600078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

2001454640078909071S425x425Q85.jpg

Thanks Sky and Surf, what are the roads like to the fields from Auckland? Freeway or Highway?

Not that i condone speeding but as a racecar driver i like to keep a constant speed:D and wonder if i can cut the time down to 3 hours to the snow each way.Kids would be happy with an hour or two playing in the snow so a day trip would be ok.Then again might be better to change the flight over to NZ, 2 days earlier and stay the night on the slopes!

Thank you for the help, the effort is greatly appreciated.

Mick

Thanks Sky and Surf, what are the roads like to the fields from Auckland? Freeway or Highway?

Not that i condone speeding but as a racecar driver i like to keep a constant speed:D and wonder if i can cut the time down to 3 hours to the snow each way.Kids would be happy with an hour or two playing in the snow so a day trip would be ok.Then again might be better to change the flight over to NZ, 2 days earlier and stay the night on the slopes!

Thank you for the help, the effort is greatly appreciated.

Mick

Tongariro National Park;

http://www.doc.govt.nz/templates/PlaceProfile.aspx?id=38487

is about 360kms south of Auckland.

It's main highways all the way - freeway for about 50-60kms south of Auckland and then single lane highway the rest of the way.... However, driving on NZ roads is NOT like driving on Australian roads, The roads are a lot windier (that's curvy not windy), and towns much closer together (hence lots of slowing down) than in Australia, so time over set distances is much longer.

There's no way you'd cover the distance in anything under 4hrs.

There is no such thing as snow here in Auckland, the closet thing you will find to snow here in Auckland is if you go over to Silverdale on North shore as over there is a place called snowplanet (here is the website: http://www.snowplanet.co.nz & http://www.snowplanet.co.nz/contact.asp)

Hope this helps :)

There is an indoor ski run in Albany 30mins north of Auckland city. It's called Snow Planet and may be worth checking out on the net as you can ski and snowboard there. You would have plenty of time to get up there.

There is an indoor ski run in Albany 30mins north of Auckland city. It's called Snow Planet and may be worth checking out on the net as you can ski and snowboard there. You would have plenty of time to get up there.

There is no such thing as snow here in Auckland, the closet thing you will find to snow here in Auckland is if you go over to Silverdale on North shore as over there is a place called snowplanet (here is the website: http://www.snowplanet.co.nz & http://www.snowplanet.co.nz/contact.asp)

Hope this helps :)

Oh yeah, had forgotten about Ski World... We drive past that every visit to Auckland, driving up to see Martin's parents.

Archived