Diving excursions off the Paul Gauguin

sdanielt

Leanne,

Thanks for the description of the Taupiti Pass dive. I may never take the longer PG cruise however I will rember to talk it over with the dive master before doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing all your great information. I do have a question after reading your posts on Scuba Board...where did you stay for your pre cruise? I think you said in an OWB so probably the intercontinental? Did the cruise line require 2 nights?

Thanks for sharing all your great information. I do have a question after reading your posts on Scuba Board...where did you stay for your pre cruise? I think you said in an OWB so probably the intercontinental? Did the cruise line require 2 nights?

Happy to help. :) We were at the Intercontinental, although we were not in an OWB. We LOVED the IC! The pools were fantastic - I especially liked the one with the swim-up bar. :D The IC is just a spectacularly beautiful slice of paradise.

We did not make our arrangements to stay there through Regent, so I have no idea if they require a certain number of nights. We stayed there two nights pre-cruise and two nights post-cruise, if I'm remembering right.

The only things we DIDN'T like about the IC were the price of food (most outrageously priced menus I've ever seen anywhere) and the dive shop -worst dive shop I've ever worked with. But I read that they have a new operator for their onsite dive shop, so hopefully that's no longer an issue.

LeeAnne,

We will be there arounf the 23rd of June so I will let you know how Bathy's is as we are going to try them and dive 2 dives with them. Thanks for all your information and the site with the pics and write up. Very informative! Thank you.

I'm very happy to help out, and I'm pleased that my pics and info were of help to my fellow divers.

All this talk of the PG diving has got me thinking about that trip so much lately, and wishing I could do it again.

I had a job interview today for a position that would be a huge step up for me in all respects (including compensation). :D I should find out on Monday if I got it. If I did...the first thing I'm going to do is to book another PG cruise. It's killing me reading about all you lucky folks heading out there...and I can't take it any more! :eek: :D

LeeAnn - When we dove here (while on the PG), the ship used an outside operator.... sound's like that had changed or did Dominique accompany them (the local op); seriously, if the ship's crew is now handling those dives, we have to go back.... Dominque and his crew are the finest dive op we have ever had!

LeeAnn - When we dove here (while on the PG), the ship used an outside operator.... sound's like that had changed or did Dominique accompany them (the local op); seriously, if the ship's crew is now handling those dives, we have to go back.... Dominque and his crew are the finest dive op we have ever had!

I couldn't agree more about Dominique and his crew!

If I'm remembering right, it was an outside dive op for Tiputa Pass, but they came right up to the sports platform at the back of the ship in zodiacs, so we didn't have get transported anywhere. (This is in contrast to the dives we did at Nuku Hiva, where we had to tender to the dock and then walk to another dock to board the outside operator's dive boat.) However, Dominique and his crew accompanied us on EVERY dive, including the ones done by outside ops.

After reading about Dominique and gang it looks like you get rather spoiled. how on earth will we want to dive anywhere else when you get spoiled like that?? Pick yoou up at the ship...PG takes care of all dive equipment...heck what more could you ask for?!?!?!

After reading about Dominique and gang it looks like you get rather spoiled. how on earth will we want to dive anywhere else when you get spoiled like that?? Pick yoou up at the ship...PG takes care of all dive equipment...heck what more could you ask for?!?!?!

Now you're getting the idea! :D

Not to throw a glass of cold water on this or anything, but I think it bears mentioning that you really are paying top dollar for the dives on the PG, so for that reason alone one would hope that we'd get top-of-the-line service. But even with that, these guys were truly outstanding.

We did the seven day cruise last spring. I have all my own gear but only took fins, mask and snorkel. In retrospect I would not have taken the fins (took up too much space). PG gear is fine. I am not as well traveled as some who have commented, but we saw more big critters than I have ever seen. Large sea turtle who paid no attention to divers. Lots of spotted eagle rays and the sharks. Twenty plus white and black tip and lemon sharks were with us for one full dive. I am AOW certified and these were easy dives to no more than 80 feet. Great visibility and warm water. The dive crew were super and took great care of us. They have a CD with photos of your dives at the end of the cruise. You do pay a nominal amount for these. Someone asked about tips. Remember part of the reason for choosing Regent is no tipping.

Good point on the tipping as this can be expensive when diving a lot with other operators. And yes LeeAnn I know we are paying an enormous amount for one dive but heck if someone is going to take care of my gear then I am all for that. We did a one day dive in Cozumel and then took all the gear back to our tiny room on a cruise ship...not much fun. But after seeing what everyone else was using I am glad we did. I am sure the PG's stuff is just fine but I am partial to our own and since we are doing 13 - 15 dives (some in Tahiti) I think for this trip at least I am going to stick with our own gear. Like LeeAnn stated they take care of everything!! Looking forward to it!

I was planning on bringing our own camera with strobe...or should I just rely on the PG's crew and staff?? Thoughts?

Good point on the tipping as this can be expensive when diving a lot with other operators. And yes LeeAnn I know we are paying an enormous amount for one dive but heck if someone is going to take care of my gear then I am all for that. We did a one day dive in Cozumel and then took all the gear back to our tiny room on a cruise ship...not much fun. But after seeing what everyone else was using I am glad we did. I am sure the PG's stuff is just fine but I am partial to our own and since we are doing 13 - 15 dives (some in Tahiti) I think for this trip at least I am going to stick with our own gear. Like LeeAnn stated they take care of everything!! Looking forward to it!

I was planning on bringing our own camera with strobe...or should I just rely on the PG's crew and staff?? Thoughts?:rolleyes: :confused:

I was planning on bringing our own camera with strobe...or should I just rely on the PG's crew and staff?? Thoughts?:rolleyes: :confused:

I think that depends on a few things. How important is underwater photography to your enjoyment of a dive? Some people dive primarily for the photographic opportunities, while others take photos just for some shots to remember the dive by. If you fall more in the latter category, then I'd say don't bother with the camera, as Dominique will offer you a CD with tons of shots of your dives, including at least a few shots of you underwater, and lots of pics of the life you will see there, so you'll have a detailed photographic record of your experience.

Good underwater photographic equipment is very expensive, and can be bulky and heavy. If you're going to bring your gear (as I would recommend), and if photography is not your primary purpose for diving, then my suggestion would be to leave it home and buy the CD.

Oh, and good point about the tipping - I'd forgotten about that. That does put the cost of the dives into more perspective. While they do cost more than dives with other types of dive ops, you also aren't expected to tip. And I fully agree the service is worth a premium price.

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in on the camera equipment question even though I have not been there yet.

If you are using the same camera for above water photography as you are using in the underwater housing then the added weight is not a major problem. However, remember that it is also the strobe, strobe arms, housing, batteries, battery charger, lenses, cleaning-maintenance equipment, and back-up for everything that can break, not to mention the computer or stand alone hard drive to down load the photos when the card is full.

I agree that for most people the CD from the dive crew is probably very good and well beyond adequate. Usually, if there is anyone else with a camera, they will give you a copy of their photos. (I always do.) I also take pictures of anyone who requests photos and send CDs after the trip anyone who wants them. So the average non-photographic addicted diver will usually end up with numerous photos of the trip.

Having said all that I always recommend bringing your own equipment if you have it. It is going to be a perfect place to hone your skills. You may also catch that photo everyone else misses. (including Dominique) It is also my understanding that there is a get together to share everyone's photos. You will also have the benefit of getting critiqued by some more experienced people who can offer some great advice to help improve your skills. The extra work to bring your own stuff and take lots of pictures is an opportunity you should not miss.

I appreciate all the fantastic points that everyone has shared. when we went on our diving excursion in Cozumel I took our underwater camera (Sealife 600 with Digital Strobe) and the shots although not perfect were a wonderful reminder. now there was a professional underwater videographer however they wanted 60 dollars for a two tank dive. i thought this was a tad steep. So i guess my question is how much is the CD that Dominique does? I did find it not to be cumbersome as I attached it to my BC and when I wasn't usining it I just let it float. So no issues there. However I did learn one thing, if you are only taking pics of small fish do not use a wide angle lense. LOL they pretty small and if you do a lot of zooming in and out (because of the wide angle) your battery goes quickly! And finally the Sea Life rechargeable batteries do not fit the strobe! UGH!!! the extra wrapping makes it almost impossible to insert and then once in the only way they come out is with a pair of pliers!! Oh well live and learn!!

Thanks again for all the great thoughts!

... Someone asked about tips. Remember part of the reason for choosing Regent is no tipping.

A dive is an excursion. We tip the PG dive crew and hope that all those who find their top-notch service to be a contributing factor to probably some of the best diving any of us will ever have will tip accordingly. Tip just as you would tip a guide on any excursion --- only more. :)

I would take your underwater camera and buy the CD.

We did a b2b in 2005 and are going back next month. It truly is paradise.

A dive is an excursion. We tip the PG dive crew and hope that all those who find their top-notch service to be a contributing factor to probably some of the best diving any of us will ever have will tip accordingly. Tip just as you would tip a guide on any excursion --- only more. :)

Other opinions on this? I generally tip on every excursion. However, the PG divemasters are ship employees and thus presumably "fairly" compensated just like the rest of the ship personnel which Regent encourages us not to tip.

John

I operate on the no tipping means no tipping, while on the PG. I give a envelope to the desk before leaving for the crews wellfare fund. I also figured that buying the CD with the pictures is a sort of gratuity for Dominique, I assume he splits the take on those.

I operate on the no tipping means no tipping, while on the PG. I give a envelope to the desk before leaving for the crews wellfare fund. I also figured that buying the CD with the pictures is a sort of gratuity for Dominique, I assume he splits the take on those.

Ditto. :)

Well, I see your point. I checked with my TA, who also tips the PG dive masters because they go above and beyond, but said it is personal preference. I hand-deliver an envelop at the divers' party.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh, and one more thing - if you are staying in Papeete pre- or post-cruise, don't bother trying to dive there. I did a couple local dives with the dive shop onsite at the Intercontinental, and they truly stunk. Not much to see, not worth the money. Not only that, but the DM was horrible there - worst I've ever dived with.

Our last trip to FP was in May of 2006, right after my wife was PADI certified. I found a dive op just south of Papeete, the Aquatica Dive Center that was able to accommodate us with a one tank dive at 10:30 AM before the Tahitian Princess sailed at 5PM. It was a fun dive at a site called the Aquarium, with a small shipwreck and a downed Cessna (I think it was a Cessna.) See photo. Good dive and a nice operation.

We are sailing on the Paul Gauguin on August 27, 2008.

4632700-R1-E005.jpg.db2dbc165bf164882ac76c4d83c61bcf.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
The dives are GREAT! The crew at the marina is totally top notch. Loved it!

Tell me more! Did you have a favorite dive site? Has the PG added nitrox? Any whales? Hammerheads? Napoleon fish? DH and I have never dove off of a zodiac. Was it difficult getting back on the zodiak. Did you dive the Tiputa Pass?

Can you tell DH and I are driving each other nuts waiting for September to roll around? Luckily we have 3 nights precruise to dive on Moorea so we can calm down before boarding the PG. Was the band Sligo onboard?

Any must do's? Must drink..must eat...must dive...must see....must hear....must buy? :)

Tell me more! Did you have a favorite dive site? Has the PG added nitrox? Any whales? Hammerheads? Napoleon fish? DH and I have never dove off of a zodiac. Was it difficult getting back on the zodiak. Did you dive the Tiputa Pass?

Can you tell DH and I are driving each other nuts waiting for September to roll around? Luckily we have 3 nights precruise to dive on Moorea so we can calm down before boarding the PG. Was the band Sligo onboard?

Any must do's? Must drink..must eat...must dive...must see....must hear....must buy? :)

LeeAnne put up some nice posts on page one of this thread about her dive experiences and at this site:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cruises-liveaboards-charter-boats/186824-paul-gauguin-tahiti-anybody-done.html

She also wrote-up a nice description of the Tiputa pass dive on page 2.

John

P.S.: If you think you are excited now, just look at the pics she posted on page 2 of the scubaboard thread. I really really want to see a manta ray up close.

We did a 3 week B2B on the PG last fall and Tiputa was one of the few disappointments we experienced. My wife and I have been diving for 35 years and have been lucky enough to dive many of the world's top locations. Rangiroa, and especially Tiputa, were on the list of "must" dives on this trip. We were excited when diving the current through the pass was listed as a dive. We got ready to go early in the AM, were transported to the land based operator and then waited! When we got to the drop off point and got in the water, it was clearly too late for the current. We had a deadly dull blue water swim and then back to the Zodiacs. Too make matters worse, the group that left before us made the ride - it was made up of PG staff members. We were really grumpy for a couple of days!

Archived