Want a Scale?

sail7seas

I don't need a scale

I already bring something on my cruises that constantly reminds me I eat too much ..............my wife :)

That is so funny, I am still grinning. Thank you.

By the way, Yes I think I would use the scale.

Katie :p

Heaven Forbid! No way, no how, no ma'am.

Ruth: I agree with you about longer cruises. Generally I exercise more and eat healthier when I am on a cruise. On the last 30 day I gained 2 lbs. It's the best excuse I have for wanting those longer cruises. :D

It isn't that the scales are inaccurate, its that your (apparent) weight changes on a moving ship, provided a component of its motion is parallel to the force of gravity.

There are,however, special scales that can measure mass directly. They consist of a special spring mounted container of known mass, and known spring constant. The object to be massed is placed in the container and it is oscillated. The oscillation period is calculated electronically.

If we let T = the oscillation period and k= spring constant then we have:

2Pi/T = (K/ Mass object +Mass container) ^ 1/2

Simple algebra shows that:

Mass object = [K/ (2Pi/T)^2] - Mass container

Devices of this sort are specialty items (being used mainly to mass objects in orbit), and are exceedingly expensive.

Yeah.....well, okay. Sure.

Um....... all I was talking about was a simple $9.99 Wal Mart style bathroom scale. And, yup, it probably would be a whole lot better to try using it when the ship is tied up. A moving ship could be a problem for a scale.

Thanks for the math. :D

How many would like to have a bathroom scale in their cabin while cruising?

I would. Not that I'm a weight freak and no one will accuse me of being underweight but I'd really like to have a scale in our Suite. I weight myself daily at home and miss not having that ability while cruising.

(I find the scales in the gym are not consistently accurate. I've stopped depending upon them.)

No way...no how! We're on a vacation...would rather wait til we get home to face what awaits!

I was going to reply "Yes" until I read GW's reply (not the real GW BTW). :)

Now, since I know it would not be inaccurate anyway, I will just have to wait and see how much I gain when I return.

The good news is - I get much more exercise on a cruise than I do at home because my job is very sedentary. So I try to maintain or even lose a few lbs. (If I'm lucky) :rolleyes:

Archived