5-2-09 Cheap rates for Baltic cruise, BUT...

randolph

This is an early season Scandinavian-Baltic cruise on the Constitution, currently at INCREDIBLE rates. BUT, why are both the private and ship tours so darned expensive (especially St.Petersberg Russia)? One was over $300 each for a 2 day private tourshare.

I don't think $300 is bad for a two day tour. I booked a two day private tour at slightly more. I know when I went to NZ/AUS on Celebrity I took private tours, and they were about $150 each for one day.

You can also do a private tour of Berlin, but due to the distance it still won't be cheap.

Tours of St. Petersburg are worth every penny.

You get an English speaking guide , van and driver, admission to museums and palaces, lots of sightseeing with someone who really knows when and how to go. It's a once in a lifetime experience. No hassles with Visas, getting out of the port area, or language either.

And we hope you mean that you are going on the Constellation and not the Constitution which went to the scrap yard a few years ago. Remember all tours in Europe are expensive by our standards since the dollar went to H+++ against the Euro, the GB pound, etc. You are paying in USdollars but the tour operators are billing in their strong currencies. Tours in StPetersburg do not permit time for shopping other than at flea markets and places like the Hermitage - you do not go around wandering on your own.

And we hope you mean that you are going on the Constellation and not the Constitution which went to the scrap yard a few years ago. Remember all tours in Europe are expensive by our standards since the dollar went to H+++ against the Euro, the GB pound, etc. You are paying in USdollars but the tour operators are billing in their strong currencies. Tours in StPetersburg do not permit time for shopping other than at flea markets and places like the Hermitage - you do not go around wandering on your own.

:o Oops, it is the Connie (not the Constitution)...so that's what the "preview post" is for :D .

Your tour guide will make sure you get to visit some really nice shops if you ask - actually the tour company Red October has one of its own that has plenty of fine merchandise.

And yes you will be on the go steadily for 2 days. Even then you'll barely scratch the surface.

However if you want great shopping and great prices, I don't think you can beat Tallinn.

Thanks for the Tallinn idea for good shopping and recent prices. I had no idea Tallin would be THE place shop. Since it was a Russian country years past, the may have some deals on Russian nesting dolls. Thanks

There is a crafters market right across the street from the Church of the Spilled Blood in St Petersburg that has some of the most beautiful nesting dolls. I purchased four sets of those and the most expensive was $25 USD for one that has 16 dolls. The painting on the dolls is amazing even right to the smallest one that's only 1/4 of an inch high. You have to use a magnifying glass to see the intricate details of her face, and it's amazing to understand how difficult it was to paint the tiny eyes, lips and nose. Some of the stands have political nesters that have the US presidents. And still others are nesters of Santa Clauses from different countries/cultures. I also purchased a beautiful hand carved chess set at this market for $45 USD. The chess pieces are wood carved in mahogny and spruce and the container that doubles as the board is made of cherry and mahogny wood.

Tours of St. Petersburg are worth every penny.

You get an English speaking guide , van and driver, admission to museums and palaces, lots of sightseeing with someone who really knows when and how to go. It's a once in a lifetime experience. No hassles with Visas, getting out of the port area, or language either.

Absolutely! We used DenRus, and the tour was jam-packed, so you get your money's worth. Leave the shopping for another port. We did stop for pee-breaks at two small "department" stores, and did buy a Faberge-style egg to bring home from one of them but that's it. (On the Constellation, we could have bought a real one, made by the still-in-existence Faberge company....but it was $18,00.00 US, which was a bit above our budget.:D)

(P.S. You will take lots of photos on this trip so prepare yourself before you leave home. I took 1,365.)

Bill and I are booked on this same cruise and will definitely be wanting to use one of the recommended tour guides, Red October, DunRus or Alla, and we'll be looking for some company to share the cost. There isn't a roll call for this cruise yet. Perhaps I need to start one?

Actually, we're doing this as a back to back with the TA from Ft. Lauderdale. There's already a roll call for that cruise. I agree that the price was incredible, and I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down once or twice before we sail.

We're also planning to spend a few days in London before going home. Not having been there before, we'll probably be looking at booking (and sharing) a private tour there, also.

We did the really early one 2 yrs. ago and it's the weather that makes the cruise so much less expensive. Take heavy clothing and rainwear. We froze.

We used Denrus in St. Petersburg and they were just wonderful. Highly recommend them.

Marilyn

Anyone booked on Carnival Splendor Aug 30 interested in booking day trips out of Berlin or St Petersberg. We are a couple looking to save on costs. I received the same letter as everone else on visa requirements. I was almost scared enough to book from the ship. Glad I read the blogs on booking elsewhere. Hope to get some feed back from those who are sailing earlier this summer. Also, I sailed on the Carnival Freedom to the Mediterrean March 08. If anyone is interested in booking day trips in Rome from the port, I hired a reputable guide who is straight, honest, and no hidden charges. He has his own web site.

I would not depend solely on roll calls. I tried to get private tours through the roll call, and nobody was getting them organized. I then contacted the major tour companies and posted on their message boards with the expectation I would pick one of their regular tours if a private group didn't register and agree to let me join them.

I was fortunate and one company (Viktoria with spb-tours.com, had two couples that had booked private tours with her Berlin and St. Petersburg. The couples also are doing more of what I want to do and less buildings in St. Petersburg. We are having tea with a local family, taking a boat ride, going to a working Russian Orthodox church, going to the local food market, taking the subway, going to dinner in a restaurant, etc. AAGH.. I was seriously not that excited about the cruise until I started getting all the plans for the cities.

I am only doing major tours in those two cities. The rest will be walking around using a Rick Steve's book. Honestly I would have never found these couples on the roll call or through the message boards. It took directly contacting the companies to find one with a tour that I could join.

Well, this information has been most helpful. For you fortunate ones who will be taking your cruise between now and august, have a great time and we will anxiously await your reviews (and helpful tips) at each port of call and tour operator you use (or would never use again). Be sure to note the ways you found to make the sinking dollar float.

Archived