Inside Cabin, enough for 2 Adults, 4yo, and 13mo??

principessa7

First timers and considering Diamond Princess to Alaska. There aren't anymore adjoining rooms and we can't afford the balconies. Will we be too cramped in an inside cabin. If we're all together...after the kids go to bed we'll pretty much have to go to sleep too won't we??

Any suggestions, stories, or advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

We did an Alaskan cruise two years ago. (NCL) Looking back, it was a horrible choice not to have a balcony. We missed out so much with all of the things to see.

I have done various caribbean cruises in all different rooms (inside, balcony, suite) and have not notice difference and didn't feel like I missed anything when we didn't have a balcony. However, since Alaska tends to be narrow passages, there is so much to see while you are sailing.

Now, since we are planning a trip with our son (7 months) we got a balcony simply to sit out and relax while he is napping or asleep for the night. Granted, we will be staring out at open ocean....but in your case there will be a ton to look at.

I know you said that cost is an issue. However, Princess tends to be a little more expensive than others. Could you possibly afford a balcony on another line? Not sure which ships are going where now, but maybe take a look at Carnival, RCCL, and NCL for lower prices that may allow for a balcony.

perhaps you can find an affordable balcony cabin on another cruiseline or at a different time of year.

I agree with the previous poster that Alaska is all about the scenery. It is why you go there. You will be able to relax and take it all in in your stateroom. It won't be the same on the open decks or in the lounges with two little ones to worry about.

Do the balcony. You are going to pay the same rate for the 3rd and 4th passenger regardless of category. So it is only the 1st and 2nd fares that will go up.

I have done Alaska 4 times and you can save money by skipping excursions and just enjoying the ship and the view. In the ports- let the kids run around and play. That way you will really save and I don't think you miss out by not doing the excursions. The towns are nice to wander around.

Look into Royal Caribbean (in cabin sitting), as well as Celebrity (incabin sitting).

Another way to save money is to do a roundtrip out of Seattle instead of Vancouver or Seward. The airfare is much more expensive to these places.

We were just on the Sapphire with a 3 YO and a 6 month old. My DD had a mini suite and I have to tell you, when the couch was made into a bed there was not a whole log of walking around room left. The crib had to be right up against her bed and shoved into the desk. The table and chair were shoved into other empty spaces. You had to squeeze to move over to the other bed. Last year she had a balcony room with a play and pack and with all the extra "baby" stuff there was very little room for the little one to wear off steam and to simply move around the cabin. I can't even imagine where you would put the crib in an inside cabin with 3 others in the cabin. Remember, on an inside cabin there is no couch to make into a bed so it would be 4 bunk beds.

We were recently on the Diamond for a 15 day cruise to Hawaii over the holidays and my two children (8 and 14) shared a cabin with us as they always do. It was an oceanview which is the same size as an inside, but with a window.

It's cozy but very doable. There is plenty of room at the foot of the bed for a pack and play and your four year old could sleep in the pull down bunk. I think you will be fine.

The 14 month old can sleep with you in the bed and the 4 year old can sleep on the pull out sofa. It will be fine. I would dispense with the crib. I seriously doubt the baby is going to stay in there anyway. If the two little ones fall asleep in the bed at night watching tv- you can just shuffle them around. I wouldn't sweat the small stuff.

The point is with two little ones- you won't have anywhere to escape at night if you don't have a balcony.

Since the kids aren't school age, look for deals in early June or September.

Thanks everyone for their replies. We're waitlisting for an adjoining room and we don't want to put off for another date because it's a family reunion. Tried swapping but no one else has adjoining either.

2 adjoining rooms would have been $2800. Balcony is not even close to our budget $4200.

If we decide to stuff ourselves in an inside stateroom. Is there anything besides following suit after the kids go to sleep??

You don't have to keep the kids in the cabin all the time. You could opt for the after hours babysitting in the kid's club. They have sitting from 10pm until 2am. At least that way you're not stuck sitting in the cabin all night.

You don't have to keep the kids in the cabin all the time. You could opt for the after hours babysitting in the kid's club. They have sitting from 10pm until 2am. At least that way you're not stuck sitting in the cabin all night.

The kids club on Princess only offers late evening group babysitting for children 3 and older. There is no babysitting or supervised kids program available for the 13 month old so it does limit parents of toddlers somewhat for evening activities since once the kids go to sleep one of you will need to stay in the cabin. I've read that some parents take turns with the evening shift so each can get a chance to enjoy a little night life.

Unfortuneately Princess charges a high suppliment for the 3rd and 4th person.

I have cruised many times and I always look for deals. With air and the cost of the cruise for 4 people- one a toddler... you may want to rethink this particular cruise.

I know it is hard for everyone to agree on a family reunion but you are talking at least $ 1000 per person with air. I don't know that I would really get that much enjoyment being in an inside with two kids. The bunks won't be very popular with the little ones. They'll enjoy climbing up but not sleeping there. You might not be that comfortable with them sleeping in bunks either.

Are there other family memebers travelling with children? You may want to speak with them and plan a few nights out while the other watches each others children. That way, you and your husband as well as the other couple (couples) can get at least one or two nights to enjoy the shows.

Or as pp mentioned, ask a neice or nephew that you trust to babysit a few nights.

Another idea would be to look for an inside room that is very near a deck. Ask on the princess board for suggestions, but I think that on certain ships some lower rooms have a door that opens up to a covered deck. That would be nice b/c you and your husband could take turns reading/enjoying the scenery without going to far.

How big is the reunion? I helped plan a friends reunion and the organizer planned things like babysitting and other activities. Maybe some one is already working on this?

Yeah I think I would stay away from this cruise too. :( I know it's a family reunion cruise but you don't want to spend alot of money and have a terrible time.

Inside cabins are small to begin with and adding 2 children that will surely be going to sleep wayyyy before you means that you will have to go to sleep when they do.

It's just not a good situation to be in. You don't want to be stuck in a small cabin, forced to sleep early and feel bitter about everyone else out having a great time. (believe me, I've been bitter...lol)

Another thing with inside cabins (that I just can't get past) is that obviously there is no natural light. So you never know when it's night/day outside. That just freaked me out the one and only time I've been in an inside cabin. :(

We've stayed in everything from inside to mini-suite, and we're perfectly content with the inside cabin. Though with a crib in there it is VERY tight. Our LO is 18 months, and she's been on three cruises -- each night my husband and I would switch off...he'd stay in one night, me the next. Which did mean lying in bed around 8pm. But no bitterness, because we did have our time out.

So it wasn't like cruising before LO. But we still love it!

Archived