On Deck for the Cure?

sail7seas

The walk I think is something like 8-10 times around the deck depending upon which ship/how large. You make a moderate donation, get a "On Deck for the Cure - HAL" t-shirt, a pink rubber bracelet and sign up for the walk. It's a moderate donation of something like $20 or so. I don't remember just how much as DH always signs us up.

Everyone meets up at specified time, walks as much or little as they feel comfortable. There is no pressure to do more than is appropriate for you. When everyone finishes, there is usually pink lemonade and cookies. It's fabulous HAL does this IMO and such a good cause. We always sign up. HAL has raised a lot of money in the two years they have sponsored this Walk.

Look for notice in the daily program.

The walk I think is something like 8-10 times around the deck depending upon which ship/how large. You make a moderate donation, get a "On Deck for the Cure - HAL" t-shirt, a pink rubber bracelet and sign up for the walk. It's a moderate donation of something like $20 or so. I don't remember just how much as DH always signs us up.

Everyone meets up at specified time, walks as much or little as they feel comfortable. There is no pressure to do more than is appropriate for you. When everyone finishes, there is usually pink lemonade and cookies. It's fabulous HAL does this IMO and such a good cause. We always sign up. HAL has raised a lot of money in the two years they have sponsored this Walk.

Look for notice in the daily program.

Sounds like a wonderful thing and for such a good cause.

My aunt battled it for 15 years

My mom was diagnosed about 3 years ago, thank God they caught it extremely early *knocking wood*

One of the Best Walks we had was on Maasdam summer of 2005. Captain Arjen van der Loo led the walk and he was in such amazing condition he lapped every one of the over 100 walkers who participated. If I remember corrently, I think he was training for a marathon in CA and it was so fantastic of him to come out and do the whole walk with us.

Everyone is always is high spirits and supportive of everyone else. It's one of the best activities there is aboard HAL ships IMO

Even when they have to schedule it early in the morning, even if it's a drizzly day, doesn't matter. There is a good turn out and everyone has fun!

I did the walk yesterday, on the Veendam. It was mentioned as a 'coming event' a couple of times in the program, and then one day a letter arrived in the staterooms with the form to sign up. It's $15 and you get a card to pick up your t-shirt and rubber wrist band in the shop. They started at 8:15 with a group photo and then the survivors photos (so I got to be in both groups). I think the cruise director was supposed to show up, but he didn't - so they sent us out walking with instructions to do 10 laps then come in for our pink lemonade party. Some people didn't walk 10 - basically people just walk what they can or what they want to do....there's no pressure.

Sue/WDW1972

Westerdam 1/11/09

I enjoy it but wish it was scheduled earlier in the cruise. It's a good way to meet people.

Soooo completely agree with you. Isn't the walk usually held on a sea day?

I did the walk yesterday, on the Veendam. It was mentioned as a 'coming event' a couple of times in the program......

.........They started at 8:15 with a group photo and then the survivors photos (so I got to be in both groups)..........they sent us out walking with instructions to do 10 laps then come in for our pink lemonade party. Some people didn't walk 10 - basically people just walk what they can or what they want to do....there's no pressure.

Sue - Congrats on winning your battle. I don't remember any photos on Noodam last year, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. :o I think the number of laps is determined by the size of the ship. It's 3 miles total, isn't it? And you're right, no pressure to complete, just participate. :)

I'm so glad to hear that the walk was held as recently as last week. I have bright pink laces in my walking sneaks, so I'm ready. Hopefully we'll have one on Eurodam.

On the Noordam last month, it was 9 laps around. We had a group picture and then the photography took candid pictures after each lap around. I must say some of the best pictures taken all week. Our cruise director led our walk and members of the cruise staff cheered you on. My only comment was that club HAL should have been opened at the time of the walk so that if you have younger kids you could still participate. It was a great time and I would gladly participate again.

BM....that is a wonderful comment about HAL. I hope you mentioned that on your comment sheet at the end of the cruise. That is probably one of those things that didn't occur to anyone.

Nothing really new, more a restatement; Hal won't be building any megaships; the age bracket on HAL is going down; they will be looking for new ports to visit; on GAP points--- even if the quota is not met the passenger still gets the amenities..

Bill

What other new things did they describe, Billroddy?

What should we expect to be seeing that is new?

Thanks.

Thanks, Bill.

I wonder if 'looking for more ports' means they are looking to keep a ship in Europe longer than currently or even 12 months a year?

If they are looking to move ships out of the Caribbean? Out of U.S. embarkation ports?

Not sure of that, but think just looking for new ports on all routes.

Bill

Thanks, Bill.

I wonder if 'looking for more ports' means they are looking to keep a ship in Europe longer than currently or even 12 months a year?

If they are looking to move ships out of the Caribbean? Out of U.S. embarkation ports?

BM....that is a wonderful comment about HAL. I hope you mentioned that on your comment sheet at the end of the cruise. That is probably one of those things that didn't occur to anyone.

Actually, I mentioned it to the cruise director as we were walking. He agreed that it was something that should be considered.

Please note the updated information on the Susan G. Komen for the Cure website. The new "term" for HAL and other lines for participation in "On Deck for the Cure" is April 1, 2008 through March 31, 2009.

http://cms.komen.org/komen/Partners/CorporatePartners/011475

It can also be noted from my correspondance to HAL in a previous thread that HAL intends to participate beyond this time frame but the contracts/terms/agreements appear to be on a yearly basis.

I participated on our 10-day sailing and was rather disappointed in how the walk had been handled. Indeed, there was quite a hoopla at the start, I walked the full number of laps, I was not the last participant to fiinish. Returned to the atrium for the pink lemonade celebration ... only to find that there was no staff greeting and no lemonade available. The lemonade had been distributed to those attending some other function in the atrium at the same time. On that cruise, seemed like the On Deck for the Cure was treated as some necessary but trifling activity. Shame on the staff responsible for the walk! Yes, I mentioned it on my end-of-cruise comment card, as I believe the activity did not receive the attention it deserved.

Archived