Getting from Sydney Airport to Wharf 8

Lizard©

What's the best way to get from Sydney Airport to Wharf 8. (excluding a Taxi )

Apparently as we didn't book our flights with P&O we cannot use their bus,:confused: so we must make our own way there.

Hubby thought the city loop train but that stops at Circular Quay, so a taxi ride from there probably, or is there a bus that we can catch straight from the airport?? :confused:

Not going until 29th August so we have a bit of time to sus it out. :D

I have investigated this one because on our cruise next week we did not book the flights/transfers through P & O because we could do it cheaper ourselves. Even though you did not book the P & O transfer you can still take the same shuttle bus. Kingsford Smith Transport run the service and it calls at the airport every 20 minutes. We have been given two different versions of the price. In March KST told us it was $10pp, but on the company website it states $13pp. Whichever price it is, I think it is easier and cheaper than a taxi.

On 19th April we will have a group of 6 people travelling from the airport to join the Pacific Sun at Darling Harbour. KST offered to take us by mini bus for a total price of $60. We have booked this.:):)

On 19th April we will have a group of 6 people travelling from the airport to join the Pacific Sun at Darling Harbour. KST offered to take us by mini bus for a total price of $60. We have booked this.:):)

I took a maxi-taxi from the airport to wharf 8 for about $38...it was two years ago though. Maxi-taxi is good value for a number of people.

What's the best way to get from Sydney Airport to Wharf 8. (excluding a Taxi )

Apparently as we didn't book our flights with P&O we cannot use their bus,:confused: so we must make our own way there.

Hubby thought the city loop train but that stops at Circular Quay, so a taxi ride from there probably, or is there a bus that we can catch straight from the airport?? :confused:

Not going until 29th August so we have a bit of time to sus it out. :D

hi lizard, you can catch the shuttle bus from outside the terminal for $13 per person

Thanks Guys....sussed it out and the shuttle is the way we'll go I reckon, $13 is a great price and an easy ride through the traffic hopefully.

Told hubby I'd get great advice here. Thanks again :)

Can anyone confirm approximate current cost in a taxi? (four people)?

Thanks

Steve

Around the $40 mark Steve, whether for 1 or 4. Biggest consideration is if your luggage will fit in a standard cab.

When returning, the taxi queue at Wharf 8 can be quite long (40mins when I observed in December)

Can anyone confirm approximate current cost in a taxi? (four people)?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve. I have heard a couple of prices ranging from $24 to well into the 30s. Maybe someone has a recent price that they personally have paid, rather than my second-hand info. Someone on this forum made the comment that most taxis in Sydney have LPG tanks in the boot so you might have a problem fitting four people plus luggage in one taxi. Maybe you could phone for a maxi taxi. They are usually more expensive (if you book one) than a normal taxi, but would be cheaper than two taxis.

If you have to have a maxi taxi, it is probably simpler and maybe no more expensive to take the shuttle bus. When we enquired in March from the person handling the tickets/money at the door to the shuttle bus, we were told the price was $10, although the company website shows the price as $13.:)

Hi Steve. I have heard a couple of prices ranging from $24 to well into the 30s. Maybe someone has a recent price that they personally have paid, rather than my second-hand info. Someone on this forum made the comment that most taxis in Sydney have LPG tanks in the boot so you might have a problem fitting four people plus luggage in one taxi. Maybe you could phone for a maxi taxi. They are usually more expensive (if you book one) than a normal taxi, but would be cheaper than two taxis.

If you have to have a maxi taxi, it is probably simpler and maybe no more expensive to take the shuttle bus. When we enquired in March from the person handling the tickets/money at the door to the shuttle bus, we were told the price was $10, although the company website shows the price as $13.:)

The price I paid from Central to Airport week before last was $32 (first hand info). As Wharf 8 is a little bit further, $40 would be close to the money. Taxis charge by time, so prices will vary according to the traffic flow.

Hi all

If catching a taxi from airport

to wharf 8 check traffic reports first...

it cost us $56.. granted it was at 8;45..

but there was also a few accidents holding

up the traffic.. took 3/4 hour. this was only

in March so recent price.

Hi all

If catching a taxi from airport

to wharf 8 check traffic reports first...

it cost us $56.. granted it was at 8;45..

but there was also a few accidents holding

up the traffic.. took 3/4 hour. this was only

in March so recent price.

The shuttle bus is looking better and better.....:):)

We didn't have any transfers booked on our last cruise in Sydney and whilst we were waiting for some friends to arrive the Princess rep saw that we had Princess luggage tags and asked if we would like to join the transfer bus. We offered to pay but she insisted it was ok as there was plenty of room on the bus. Very nice gesture we thought.:o

Anyway we saw that the train terminal is at the airport and next time we will go by train. I can't remember exactly how much it was but it was very cheap and quick to. Might be worth looking in to especially as the traffic in Sydney can be horrendous.

Please don't get me wrong..i'm no snob..I just like to be organised.

In fact Shirley says I'm an "orgochondriac"

When overseas and indeed when I go to Melbourne I use a Limo

(O/s I pre book (especially Heathrow) but in Melbourne I just cross the road and pick up a limo from the car park - (the cost is about the same as a cab and you dont need to be a multi linguist to understand the driver)

You can pre book a standard limo in Sydney to take you to the wharf for about $65 (A stretch Limo with bar and tv would cost about $100 more)

You will be personally met at the airport, no problems with luggage and you arrive in style!

The point is that everything about your cruise is already organised so why not organise the airport transfer?

We didn't have any transfers booked on our last cruise in Sydney and whilst we were waiting for some friends to arrive the Princess rep saw that we had Princess luggage tags and asked if we would like to join the transfer bus. We offered to pay but she insisted it was ok as there was plenty of room on the bus. Very nice gesture we thought.:o

Anyway we saw that the train terminal is at the airport and next time we will go by train. I can't remember exactly how much it was but it was very cheap and quick to. Might be worth looking in to especially as the traffic in Sydney can be horrendous.

The train will get you to Central, which is still a few kms from Wharf 8.

at the sydney airport- you can go out to the taxi ramp and just ask one of the "taxi- attendants" (I don't know what you call them :o but they are standing around telling you where to wait for the taxis) to order you a maxitaxi. Again- as said before good value for 4 or more and plenty of room for luggage!

limo services in sydney are very good too...I use a limo from airport all the way to Baulkham hills which costs $100....so I imagine to wharf 8 (much closer) would be very reasonable...and very glamourous!

hi lizzy, going by train its not cheap & its a bit of a hassle with your luggage, here's a link about the fares

http://www.cityrail.info/fares/calculator.jsp?from=343&to=16

hi lizzy, going by train its not cheap & its a bit of a hassle with your luggage, here's a link about the fares

http://www.cityrail.info/fares/calculator.jsp?from=343&to=16

I wouldn't be bothered getting luggage onto a train, then off at the other end and up stairs to the street. From Wynyard station it would be well under a kilometre to the ship, but you would be wheeling/carrying luggage. I still think the shuttle bus is the best for up to 4 people and for more than that, either a maxi taxi or the mini bus we have booked with KST. Although, the limo sounds good too ....:):)

hi we are cruising for the first time on 19/8 on pd we also did not book through p&o for our flights and we have enquired about how to get to the wharf from airport . you can catch the shuttle bus for $22 return per person if you pre book it the phone no to book it is 02-96669888 you must book at least 3 days before u need it

i got my passport today so i am starting to get excited now as this is my first cruise

I'm so darn organized.....just pre-booked and paid the shuttle bus, it's $20 if you do it online or $22 if you pay on the day.

Hubby wanted to get it out of the way so I did. :D

Something else done, now what's next :confused: :rolleyes:

Archived