adding a fourth person

Lefty1

i am going on explorer and have a cabin that fits 4 - i already have deposit in for 3 people in cabin - i may have a 4th person coming so when i pay the final payment, can i add the 4th person? i know my cabin sleeps 4 but at the time of deposit was not sure of the 4th person coming so i am hoping i can add that person when final payment due

If the ship has not reached full capacity you can but keep in mind even if you have a cabin that fits 4 the capacity is based on total people already booked not if your cabin fits 4. So book as soon as you can to avoid disappointment.

... as quiltsnh said above, the ship hasn't reached capacity.

We're past the final deposit date and just added a third. We have a fourth that is waiting to hear about work schedules before deciding. Our TA has confirmed that she has been able to add someone as late as 48 hours before sailing.

Note that 'full' is based on a total number of passengers set by the coast guard. There may be still cabins available when that number is reached. (Apparently a common occurence during holidays when a large number of cabins have more than 2 guests.) According to our TA, that number is non-negotiable - she's tried!

PS: just checked: Explorer Capacity (double occupancy): 3,114, Full Capacity: 3,840

You didn't say when your cruise was or somebody already could have told you what your chances are. One way to find out is to pretend book a cabin for your cruise and try to book 3 people into that cabin. If it accepts 3 people then the cruise probably has not reached maximum capacity. If that is so, I would book a TBD as a 4th passenger in your cabin, pay the $250.00 deposit and when final payment is due you can decide if that 4th is going or not. If not you can cancel the 4th and get deposit back(or applied to final payment for the first 3 passengers).

Gregg

Found on another thread you are on the 8/9 sailing for 5 nights, so the deposit amount is only $100 I believe. Also, I tried a dummy booking and the web-site would only allow me to book for 2 passengers. It gave me an error message when I tried for 3 or 4. If they are at maximum capacity already, and your 4th still wants to go, just before and at final payment date, keep checking with RCI and hope for a cancellation that would free up the 4th berth.

Gregg

... just checked: Explorer Capacity (double occupancy): 3,114, Full Capacity: 3,840
Just curious - I can find a number of unofficial websites that quote the full capacity of 3840 as you said, but I can't find this on www.RCCL.com [they do list "Passenger Capacity: 3,114" (but of course this is not the full/maximum passenger capacity, but rather the double occupancy {aka 100% occupancy} capacity)]. Does anyone happen to know of any official [RCCL, USCG or other] website that quotes full/maximum occupancy figures? Also is there a location where I can find out how many passenger berths are actually on board [presumably more that 3840]?

I had the same problem. After I booked a cabin for 3 of us, my sister decided to join us and after thinking about every option we had, we decided to book 2 different cabins. Number 1, if you compare prices (at least on our 7 day cruise) the difference between booking 2 cabins or having 4 people in 1 cabin was only about $200 more.

Think about it. I would rather spend $200 more and have more space, 1 bathroom for 2 people only, more closets, etc.

It is far easier to cancel a 4th than to try to book it later on. It's not always impossible, but if the ship reaches capacity, they won't book any more quads. You're gambling and may be disappointed.

However, unless it is small children or a large suite, I have to agree with Yurita, even though the cabins can hold 4, it is not very comfortable or enjoyable to stuff the cabin full to capacity. If we can't afford to book our 2 kids (now almost grown) in a seperate cabin, we won't go.

you have all answered my question - thank you - we are sailing in 8/9 to bermuda - my daughter (19) only wants to come if she brings someone and i am a little leary about that - right now i am booked for 3 so i will have to seriously think about adding someone soon

thanks again

There are many threads on here about taking on the responsibility of friends of your kids. Some are real nightmare stories. You might want to search and read some before deciding to adding your daughters friend.

Archived