Do Children Get Sea Pass Cards? & Do they Need Passport to Go Ashore?

abba_dabba_doo

I asked this on the RCI board, but thought I'd try here as well.

I was just reading a thread about whether you need a passport to go ashore. I understand that adults need a photo ID (drivers license) and their Sea Pass card and most don't take their passports off the ship. However, what about children (mine are 7 and 4) and won't be carrying around Sea Pass cards as they are too young and wouldn't use them. Do they need a photo ID (passport, as that is their only photo ID) to get off the ship? Or as long as they are w/us they don't need anything?

Your children will have their own sea pass cards and they will need to have them to get on and off the ship. It is photo id, as when you board and disembark, the cards are scanned and your child's photo will be on the screen that the crew can see.

You will not need your driver's license to get on and off the ship, as they already have your id in their system, as noted above.

The last few times we have s.ailed on RCl and CArnival. Adults needed to take their ship card and another photo id,( Drivers License). Children just ships id. I did hear that teens need photo id also, but, don't know age.

The ship card and Photo ids were checked as we reboarded in San Juan and Nassua by the Port Authority- not the cruiseline.

In Puerto Vallarta, we were required to show I.D. in addition to our cruise cards to get past the port authority to go back to the ship. I brought my driver's license and my children's birth certificates. Pay close attention to the daily notices, they will tell you what's required in each port to get back on the ship.

As pp's mentioned, for the ship, you will always need each person's card to get off and on.

Best,

Mia

You must bring your ship cards into port with you. Everyone needs them to get off and back on the ship. As for photo ID, some ports require them, but the ship does not. I would bring your photo ID (driver's license or passport) with you. Teens only need them if they have a driver's license.

The children's sea pass cards are also good id's for them onboard if they are separated from you. Your children are rather young, but I required my children to carry with them everywhere so they could be helped if there was an emergency.

Will my almost 2 year old grandaughter need her ship card and a photo ID to get back on ship? I hate to take her passport off the ship with us every port. Maybe we'll get a different photo Id for her. We're going to the Bahamas, St Thomas, St Maarten.

Thanks

I am going in about a year with a one year old. Will I need to work on getting her a passport in the meantime? I asked RCI and they said all I need is her BC, but I don't want to risk it....

Thanks!

DH and I were required to show both Sail&Sign card and driver's license (or other photo ID) in the Bahamas and Grand Turk. Our 7 year old son just needed his Sail&Sign card, not photo ID.

Hope this helps!

:cool: Tamara

Guidelines vary by cruiseline. We just sailed the Costa Fortuna two weeks ago, and they DO NOT take your photo to keep on file electronically with your Ship Card. We thought that was odd. Rather, they request a photo ID to be shown each time your get on the ship--kids too.

And--you may think we are crazy, but we always take our passports off the ship with us. That way on the off-chance that we get "stuck" at that port (god forbid--miss the ship), we would be able to easily leave that port of call b/c we had our passports. Think about it--how would you FLY from Cozumel, Mexico back to Jamaica--or even the Us without your passport. It would be very, very difficult.

Just something to think about...

CeleBrat

Archived