Dumb Spa Question

AZ TRAVEL

OK,

I have never been to a spa on or off land and would like to know exactly how the whole dress thing works.

When you first arrive are you given a robe and directed to a room? Would wearing swim trunks be approperiate or are you supposed to be nude?

I just would like to know the details. I would like to have a massage on my next cruise but don't want to look like a fool by doing something stupid.

Thanks

Depends on the type of massage you are getting. If it's just a basic back/shoulder massage, you keep your undies on the whole time. When you report to the spa for your appointment, they will direct you to the locker room where you change your clothes and put on a robe. The massuse will come and get you and take you to the treatment room. Generally speaking, the massage table will be ready for you, she/he will step out of the room while you get yourself up on the table and cover yourself with the provided sheet.

The general rule with any massage is if there is clothing on it they won't touch it. For instance when I go for a massage, I wear low rise boy cut shorts, that way she knows to go low on my back, high on my thighs, but leave my butt cheeks alone!

You dress down to what you feel comfortable with. My daughter is a massage therapist and she normally says nothing but it's more than ok to leave underwear on which i do even with my daughter because it'smy comfort zone. But like it was said before you go into a room and there will be a table you get on which blankets you get under and everything is discreet. OH they are wonderful!!! Both my husband and i love massages now since our daughter does them.

You dress down to what you feel comfortable with.

It's only in the last couple years that I've had massages and this is always what they tell me. While I'm a modest sort, I shed it all for a massage. I've never been uncomfortable with either a male or female masseusse (however you spell it). They always ask if I prefer a female when I make the appt. They know that people can be uncomfortable with an opposite sex "massager" (I'm not gonna try and spell it agaiN!!) and no one wants you to be uncomfortable.

a massage is soooo heavenly!!!! don't waste that time wishing you'd kept your undies or shed your bra or worrying that they know you have some flab or scars or whatever. They don't care about that. Decide what you are comfortable with so you can completely relax.

Everyone,

Thanks, but i might still be a bit confused. Would Swim trunks bo ok on a sea day?

This is sounding like a school shower situatition.

Swim trunks are ok but because they are long (men's still come down to the knees these days?), if you have any desire to have your leg muscles worked on, they will hamper that effort. If you are just having your back, shoulders, neck worked on, it won't matter one bit.

Not a school shower situation at all (best I remember!). Not sure what you mean, but no one sees you naked. You are under a sheet and they lightly peel back whatever portion they are working on and do not get close to 'private areas.'

The general rule with any massage is if there is clothing on it they won't touch it. For instance when I go for a massage, I wear low rise boy cut shorts, that way she knows to go low on my back, high on my thighs, but leave my butt cheeks alone!

I've never had a professional massage that involved butt massage so I don't think there's a "rule" as you say.

I s'pose I would have to explicitly state that I had a knot in my glute that I needed them to work out for them to touch my butt.

Everyone,

Thanks, but i might still be a bit confused. Would Swim trunks bo ok on a sea day?

This is sounding like a school shower situatition.

Sure you can keep your trunks on. Just hike them up to the tops of your thighs so you can get the benefits of a thigh massage too. If you do want to take off your trunks, know that the blanket is only ever removed from the actual part they are working on at the time, you are never fully exposed, and nowhere near your privates are ever exposed.

Nothing school shower about it-they've seen it all and are very professional about it. And you could just be honest and say "I left my trunks on." and then s/he will say "that's fine" and that will be out and over with. Then you kick back, relax, go to your happy zen place and enjoy it!

I've never had a professional massage that involved butt massage so I don't think there's a "rule" as you say.

I s'pose I would have to explicitly state that I had a knot in my glute that I needed them to work out for them to touch my butt.

I have many many times, but don't really care for it, hence the boy shorts now.

The first few times I shed everything, and she didn't just go for my butt, it was more like an extension of my thigh massage. There was no crack invasion or anything :p more like just very high on the outer thigh where it becomes butt territory.

I do stand by what I said, the general rule is if you leave it covered, they won't touch it. They may ask to be sure if that's what you do/don't want...

Good question! We have all had a first time and not really sure what to expect. I have never been given a robe. I have been asked what I like, such as deep tissue, etc. Than the masseuse leaves the room while I undress and get under the covers.

I convinced my husband, who is very hairy, to have one on our last cruise. He left his briefs on. He wondered why he had waited so long.

OK,

I have never been to a spa on or off land and would like to know exactly how the whole dress thing works.

When you first arrive are you given a robe and directed to a room? Would wearing swim trunks be approperiate or are you supposed to be nude?

I just would like to know the details. I would like to have a massage on my next cruise but don't want to look like a fool by doing something stupid.

Thanks

I had a massage on my first cruise... they gave me some "paper shower cap" looking thing to put on. When I came out of the shower in my towel, all my friends laughed because I had the "paper" thing on my head. Well, it turned out to be paper underwear!!:eek: ... how embarressed was I??? OMG. Anyway I highly suggest you get the massage, it was very relaxing. This time I will know what the "paper" thing is for. It made for a good laugh.

OK,

Thanks

Bill--that is not a dumb question at all and I'm so glad you were brave enough to ask it. I wouldn't know what to do either. Most likely I would be the one with paper underwear on my head.:D Thanks for asking for the rest of us.

I had a massage on my first cruise... they gave me some "paper shower cap" looking thing to put on. When I came out of the shower in my towel, all my friends laughed because I had the "paper" thing on my head. Well, it turned out to be paper underwear!!:eek: ... how embarressed was I??? OMG. Anyway I highly suggest you get the massage, it was very relaxing. This time I will know what the "paper" thing is for. It made for a good laugh.

I haven't laughed so hard in a long time!! :D You poor thing - I can only imagine how embarrased you were when they told you. But it's a great story and definitely sounds like something I would do! :o

LOL Never seen or heard of the paper underwear. My husband and I have been to several spas on land and sea. We always go nude. Never have felt uncomfortable ever. And the first time we went - we had no idea either. Enjoy!! You will be hooked!

missty

Go with whatever makes you comfy. If you are nervous about being naked then you wouldn't possibly be able to relax. I usually go with underwear and get so relax I usually fall asleep by the end. My comfort zone may be different than yours but being your first time you might start there and next time go naked. Either way don't let it stress you out.

I would like to thank everyone for the information and funny stories. Now that I know what to expect if the price is right I will definitely visit the spa on my cruise next week. I will be sure to report back hear and let everyone know how it was.

Thanks again

Bill

I would like to thank everyone for the information and funny stories. Now that I know what to expect if the price is right I will definitely visit the spa on my cruise next week. I will be sure to report back hear and let everyone know how it was.

Thanks again

Bill

I have had them do pretty high on the back of my leg that I would consider butt.

To the PP, they will let you know what to leave on and what to take off - don't worry about it and enjoy.

Archived