What will RCCL do to fix this????

Some of you were so kind as to help me try to find the right cabin on the Sovereign fr my nephew who has a disorder similar to cerebral palsy. I am traveling with 3 boys ages 12-15.

Yesterday, I spoke to Special Needs Dept. who told me they could move us to a JS H/A #1550. I was very excited as this didn't cost me very much additional to my original quad SO #9582. I received the new invoice listing all four of us.

Then I received replies from CC posters that this cabin does not have a sofa sleeper. I spent most of last night trying to find a photo - no luck. I did read a Vincent Finelli review that didn't mention a sofa.

I called Special Needs this morning but they are closed. Then I called the regular number. The agent stated that this cabin only holds 3 people as it has a large chair that folds out. I asked if they could even just put a rollaway in during the evenings - that would be fine since these are just kids. Then he put me on hold while he tried to find an answer.

The result so far is that they are emailing the ship to check the actual cabin. Then the Resolution Department is supposed to call me on Monday.

The bad news is that my original quad seems to be gone. The ship isn't even allowing quads to book anymore.

Has anyone had something like this occur? I asked the agent what would have happened if we had arrived at the ship to sail and they then discovered the problem!

Thanks! Maureen

I am my parents care giver and we book into cabins that accomidtate 2 all the time. They just bring in a rollaway and then store it during the day. no problem. Special needs goes out of thier way to make a good experience for those traveling with disabilaties.

Some of you were so kind as to help me try to find the right cabin on the Sovereign fr my nephew who has a disorder similar to cerebral palsy. I am traveling with 3 boys ages 12-15.

Yesterday, I spoke to Special Needs Dept. who told me they could move us to a JS H/A #1550. I was very excited as this didn't cost me very much additional to my original quad SO #9582. I received the new invoice listing all four of us.

Then I received replies from CC posters that this cabin does not have a sofa sleeper. I spent most of last night trying to find a photo - no luck. I did read a Vincent Finelli review that didn't mention a sofa.

I called Special Needs this morning but they are closed. Then I called the regular number. The agent stated that this cabin only holds 3 people as it has a large chair that folds out. I asked if they could even just put a rollaway in during the evenings - that would be fine since these are just kids. Then he put me on hold while he tried to find an answer.

The result so far is that they are emailing the ship to check the actual cabin. Then the Resolution Department is supposed to call me on Monday.

The bad news is that my original quad seems to be gone. The ship isn't even allowing quads to book anymore.

Has anyone had something like this occur? I asked the agent what would have happened if we had arrived at the ship to sail and they then discovered the problem!

Thanks! Maureen

Seriously, the resolutions department?

The deck plan clearly states that 1550 has a sofa sleeper (as a matter of fact ALL JS on the Sovereign have sofa sleepers). 1550 is also marked as handicapped indicating that it is slightly bigger than the regular Sovereign class JS.

While CC is a good place to get info, there is also a lot of misinformation given.

All JS have a sofa bed and a chair.

Here is JS 1046 (1048 looked the same just mirrored):

486328076_JS1046(1).jpg.fd67ada39cdb4a81ab9a61fee5a50022.jpg

194267794_JS1046(2).jpg.4e514e38dada64e5f411fac17090e3d8.jpg

124128644_JS1046(3).jpg.25a0ade7a397f181427d0e6d31fd4573.jpg

679337969_JS1046(4).jpg.8d0725df965e0a94a1701ddbfc0bf86e.jpg

I have to say that you will be in good hands when it comes to Royal Caribbean. My sister and I travel together and even though we are in good health, now, we both were very impressed with the number of people on our cruise in wheel chairs (and, other special problems.) All these folks looked very happy, relaxed and were enjoying their time on Royal Caribbean. RCL takes care of everyone needs in a first class way.

If the room doesn't have a sleeper sofa, they can put one in it. Happened on my most recent sailing on Voyager, a family of 4 had a room that when they initially boarded and went in didn't have the sleeper sofa. Their cabin attendant told them not to worry, it would be in that evening. When they came back from dinner, it was in their room, made up.

We were booked into 1050 in December even though we did not have the need for the room. There was only one chair and no sofa in the room. We were able to get another chair for the room. Space was limited compared to other room due to the large bath. There was no bath tub. Instead was a large open area with a shower curtain for one with a wheelchair. Also there was just a sink in the bath room. The space on either side of the bed was very minimal and we usually just crawled in from the foot. I can not see anyway that 2 rolling cots could be put in the room unless one is placed sideways right at the foot of the bed and another between the bath and closet in front of the door.

My wife who is reading over my shoulder also says it while not impossible would be very difficult and wonder if they would do it due to safety reasons.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bill

We were booked into 1050 in December even though we did not have the need for the room. There was only one chair and no sofa in the room. We were able to get another chair for the room. Space was limited compared to other room due to the large bath. There was no bath tub. Instead was a large open area with a shower curtain for one with a wheelchair. Also there was just a sink in the bath room. The space on either side of the bed was very minimal and we usually just crawled in from the foot. I can not see anyway that 2 rolling cots could be put in the room unless one is placed sideways right at the foot of the bed and another between the bath and closet in front of the door.

My wife who is reading over my shoulder also says it while not impossible would be very difficult and wonder if they would do it due to safety reasons.

I wish you the best of luck.

Bill

wow, that really surprises me. I peeked into plenty of JS on the Sovereign. They all looked identical.

It appears that the room was retrofitted for a handicapped access. room. They even had a removable ramp to get over the threshold to the balcony. We had been in a JS on the Majesty and was quite surprised over this room. It was a last minute booking and the only JS available. We did not know it was a HA room. I feel sorry for those with a handicap using this stateroom because it was retrofitted and not really comfortable. When we put in a second chair there would have been no room for a wheelchair to even turn around in.

Bill

FL_Cruiser64

I didn't ask to speak to the Resolution Dept. The cruise line told me that this department would have to call me back on Monday.

Concour

You have confirmed what I was told on the disabilities board - no sofa. It would then seem that this cabin is really only suited for sleeping 2 passengers.

At this point I just wish my original quad wasn't gone. I just have to trust the either the Resolution or Special Needs Depts will figure something out.

Maureen

Now they are telling me to call in the morning. Apparently, the Resolution Dept. is open on weekends. They are just waiting for verification that there is/isn't a sofabed from the email they sent to the ship.

They have said that if there isn't a sofabed, they will have to find us another room that accommodates four people. I asked if I could have my old SO cabin back but it has been given to someone else already.

I'll post again when I hear the result.

Now they are telling me to call in the morning. Apparently, the Resolution Dept. is open on weekends. They are just waiting for verification that there is/isn't a sofabed from the email they sent to the ship.

They have said that if there isn't a sofabed, they will have to find us another room that accommodates four people. I asked if I could have my old SO cabin back but it has been given to someone else already.

I'll post again when I hear the result.

May I ask when your sailing? We sail on Soverign on Sept 8th we have a quad..We can always change our date if you need it? Inside deck 4.

May I ask when your sailing? We sail on Soverign on Sept 8th we have a quad..We can always change our date if you need it? Inside deck 4.

Pauline, what an incredibly generous thing to offer. Your the kind of person I would love to cruise along side. My hats off to you. :)

Pauline

You are an amazing person. There have been times on these boards that I have been confused and saddened by some people's statements -

but then along comes a person like yourself.

We are not sailing on your date, but I wish we were so I could have the priviledge of thanking you in person.

I know that everything will work out, but no matter what the result is - I will remember your kindness. Thank you!

Archived