stingraysailing.com? Anyone use?

MasonsMom

Just came back from our cruise and we did the Stingray City excursion with Stingray Sailing on Feb 10, 2010 and This was the highlight of our trip! Chip and Mark made this tour so much fun for myself, wife and two young boys...i would recommend Stingray Sailing to anyone and everyone....What a fantastic time...Thanks for the memories guys!! 5 stars all the way

When your ship arrived was it on Grand Cayman time? We will be on the Inspiration next Jan so just wonder about time. Our ship gets into port at 8a and then we have to catch the tender by 2p

Our experience with Stingray Sailing started with the very prompt and friendly responses I received from Michelle through email. There were not a lot of reviews to be found and I was a little nervous, but she was so quick to respond with whatever information I needed that I was willing to give it a shot. We started out with 6 people that grew to 20 people from our group going on the tour. We ended up having the catamaran all to ourselves which was nice.

We were able to pick our meeting time and decided to meet Chip at the pier between 8 and 8:30 local time. We ended up getting off the boat on one of the first tenders and met Chip at about 7:30. Once our group was all there we walked over to a bus to take to the marina. Chip talked about past hurricanes and pointed out interesting sights along the way. We arrived at the marina and boarded the Far Tortuga in about 15 minutes. It was Columbus Day and as a special treat Chip's wife Michelle had made a cake to resemble one of Columbus' boats. It was yummy.

We rode out to the sandbar and enjoyed the sun peaking in and out and worried a little about the big black clouds a head. We were beaten to the sandbar by a few folks heading out on jetboats. We spotted a few stingrays as we got closer to the sandbar. When we arrived at the sandbar, we dropped anchor and Chip told us what to do and not to do with the stingrays. He dove in and got the food ready. I waited for everyone else to get in because I was a little afraid of them. Finally I got up the nerve and jumped in. I probably shouldn't have jumped right in where they were feeding them because they were all around me and I was a little overwhelmed. Once they spread out a bit I was able to enjoy watching them swim by. That was a pretty cool experience. Because of the approarching storm the water was very choppy and we had to watch for waves. The storm went over while we were in the water and it poured like crazy, that was actually kind of cool too. Then the storm passed and the water calmed and we got back on the boat to ride a very short distance to the reef to do some snorkeling.

We were outfitted with our gear and jumped in the water. We say an eel and a bunch of other colorful fish. We snorkeled for a while and then got back on the boat to sail back in. Chip and his crew (his dad and young man, whose name I didn't get) lifted the sail and started selling beers and we just sat back and relaxed. There was plenty of room. Some relaxed and read up front on the trampoline, some got shade in the middle and some hung out at the back to smoke. At one point on the way back Chip jumped off the front and popped up on the back with a starfish.

We got back to the marina, boarded the bus and headed back to the pier. It was a very relaxing and fun day. Chip and his crew were very friendly and courteous.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. Chip, if you are reading this thank you for the wonderful day in your hometown and tell Michelle hello and thank you!

Hopefully, I can post some pictures soon!

My initial plans were to take the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with native way, however, they're completely booked and were not able to accept us (me and my girlfriend). I suppose my back up plan would be to take stingraysailing's excursion. I would still like to visit Rum Point Beach though. What I was wondering is if would be possible to take the excursion with them and then transport over to Rum Point Beach without any complications other than additional costs for the ride to the beach. Would you happen to know if this is possible? I'm also concerned about once being able to get to Rum Point, being able to make it back to the port in time. Thank you for your input in advance. I hope to hear from you

My initial plans were to take the Rays, Reef, and Rum Point excursion with native way, however, they're completely booked and were not able to accept us (me and my girlfriend). I suppose my back up plan would be to take stingraysailing's excursion. I would still like to visit Rum Point Beach though. What I was wondering is if would be possible to take the excursion with them and then transport over to Rum Point Beach without any complications other than additional costs for the ride to the beach. Would you happen to know if this is possible? I'm also concerned about once being able to get to Rum Point, being able to make it back to the port in time. Thank you for your input in advance. I hope to hear from you

See my message in the Rum Point thread...you're not going to be able to do both if you can't get an excursion that includes Rum Point.

They met us at the pier with their own private bus, departed and returned on time, fed us water and fresh fruit, and gave a very well organized and informative tour. Big boat with lots of room, the other tour companies' boats were packed full and crowded with people. Half the people on our boat stretched out and took a nap on the way back on the trampoline...couldn't have been better. Best tour guide in GC.

We have a cruise booked for Jan 2011-and we have already booked our Stingray tour. Michele's prompt responses are wondereful-even to your simplest question. Pluse being that they limit the boat to 28 passengers is an added plus. We did this many years ago so looking forward to being with the rays again. Absolutely fantastic!!!

They met us at the pier with their own private bus, departed and returned on time, fed us water and fresh fruit, and gave a very well organized and informative tour. Big boat with lots of room, the other tour companies' boats were packed full and crowded with people. Half the people on our boat stretched out and took a nap on the way back on the trampoline...couldn't have been better. Best tour guide in GC.

We had almost the exact same experience. Chip, his father, and his crew were organized, professional, and a lot of fun. They interacted well with everyone on board, explained everything they were doing and answered everyone's questions. They really know what they are doing. They had complimentary bottled water available at all times, and fresh fruit after the snorkel to help get the salt water taste out of your mouth. They also had bottled beer for sale after the snorkel for those who wanted it. They took some great pictures, and had the laptop right there on board to burn your pictures to CD immediately. The trampoline area was definitely the most popular, especially with several kids and teens on board who all stretched out to nap. We were dropped off at the cruise pier, but Chip offered to take anyone who wished to seven mile beach after our excursion. I can't recommend them highly enough - this was definitely the highlight of our cruise.

This picture was taken by the Stingray sailing crew. You can see a little bit of the catamaran in the background.

036.jpg

YOu were saying that they take your pictures and have a computer on board to put the pictures on cd... how much do they charge for those photos? Will they take photos of you on your own personal camera?

Thanks

It was awesome! Regarding the pictures, at least on our trip, they were not taking. (At least not that I saw) Regretfully, cause I forgot my digital camera and our water proof cheap camera run out of film!!!! So all I have is memories and great ones!

For those going on the Carnival Glory, we took tender 1. We were at the ebony cabaret an hour before they said on the Fun Time and were in GC an hour prior to our meeting time. Ships stays on Florida time and the tour hour they give you is GC time, on our case it was 10:15am (ship's time 11:15am), ship arrived at 10:00am GC time 9:00am

If everybody gets to port early, Chips leaves early, which we'll give you more time on the tour. In our case we almost leaved at 10:00am (GC time), but there was a group missing and we waited till the time agreed. When they arrived, then another group (who was there early) have gone missing (buying drinks and food \, we found later) ; finally we left at 10:35am. AND HE DOES'NT WAIT MORE THAN THAT. SO, DON'T BE LATE!

I believe we were 25 and they only take 27. It didn't felt crowded and Far-Tortuga (Chip's catamaran) was very comfortable. The Glory was the only ship on port so that worked to our advantage. It wasn't that crowded and Chip's catamaran can go to places boats can't so we were kind of apart of the other boats; and yes some of them seems a bit crowded.

He and his father were very informative, professional and took good care of us. Chip was always making a head count (specially when were snorkeling), so he was very "protective" of his people.

I told him, I'll put a good word for him on the CC boards, and so I'm doing because he owned it! If you book a tour with him, you'll have fun and feel secure. Well worth the money!

For those of you going cruising soon, hope you have a great time!

• 2 weeks later...

Throwing in our very big thumbs up for Stingray Sailing. Their level of customer service is amazing. Mentioned in another post that our ship was late, we got lost in the tender trample, finally made land and there was Chip... big smile on his face and no hassle for things beyond our control.

The Far Tortuga is a big catamaran that easily holds twice as many people as they'll allow to book. Facilities down below if you can manage stairs.

Speaking of stairs... I was concerned about the ladder and being able to get on/off the boat at the sandbar. Overweight, bad knees, whine whine. Chip's wife answered all of our emails promptly and professionally. When I told her my concern about the ladder, she went to the boat and took a picture of it for me. Amazing customer service.

~ Sheryl

I love reading all the positive reviews!! I have booked with this company for October on the Conquest...I have read wonderful things about them and Michelle was lightening fast at responding to my emails!

• 2 weeks later...

The Carnival Conquest didn't arrive in the Grand Cayman till 7:45am. I made sure to get my tender ticket first around 7am when they hand them out. I was one of the first to tender but was the last in the group to meet Chip (around 8:25) and they were leaving at 8:30m. No worries... Chip was waiting for us. We boarded a small bus to the catamaran (only had about 18 on board).. plenty of room. The boat ride was almost 30 min. to the sandbar. Chip and his father Buster were very informative along with their helper and Mark the photographer. I was a little freaked out with stingrays swimming around me, but Mark made everyone feel comfortable with holding, feeding and even kissing the stingrays! I loved every minute of it! Snorkeling was just beyond the boat which was awesome.. saw an eel & colorful fish. Fresh fruit & water was complimentary on board. Of course we had a Cayman beer for $5 on the way back. CD's of photo's are made right on board. I only remember one of the prices... we got 5 pictures for $30... and great shots... thanks Mark! Hope to go back again one day!

http://www.stingraysailing.com

059.jpg.9873d1eee972ba65198dceb3c7a6607f.jpg

The Carnival Conquest didn't arrive in the Grand Cayman till 7:45am. I made sure to get my tender ticket first around 7am when they hand them out. I was one of the first to tender but was the last in the group to meet Chip (around 8:25) and they were leaving at 8:30m. No worries... Chip was waiting for us. We boarded a small bus to the catamaran (only had about 18 on board).. plenty of room. The boat ride was almost 30 min. to the sandbar. Chip and his father Buster were very informative along with their helper and Mark the photographer. I was a little freaked out with stingrays swimming around me, but Mark made everyone feel comfortable with holding, feeding and even kissing the stingrays! I loved every minute of it! Snorkeling was just beyond the boat which was awesome.. saw an eel & colorful fish. Fresh fruit & water was complimentary on board. Of course we had a Cayman beer for $5 on the way back. CD's of photo's are made right on board. I only remember one of the prices... we got 5 pictures for $30... and great shots... thanks Mark! Hope to go back again one day!

http://www.stingraysailing.com

Sounds like great fun and have just emailed them concerning our upcoming cruise on the Conquest. I've never tendered before, and you stated they start handing out tender tickets @7am. My question is, do all the people in my party need to be there when they are releasing the tickets?

thanks

I picked up a tender ticket for myself and daughter... no need for everyone to be there... just tell them how many you need. They hand out small stickers with a number on them. I believe #1 - 3 will tender first. I got #1 and you stick it on your left chest. I was there by 6:50am and there were only about 10 people waiting at that time. They handed them out at the Toulouse -Lautrec Theater. The #1 will sit in the theater towards the back left side and wait for your # to be called. Best to sit in the back to board the tender first. I was worried about not arriving on time... and cut it close. Conquest was supposed to arrive at 7am, but was running behind schedule. You will love the excursion!

I picked up a tender ticket for myself and daughter... no need for everyone to be there... just tell them how many you need. They hand out small stickers with a number on them. I believe #1 - 3 will tender first. I got #1 and you stick it on your left chest. I was there by 6:50am and there were only about 10 people waiting at that time. They handed them out at the Toulouse -Lautrec Theater. The #1 will sit in the theater towards the back left side and wait for your # to be called. Best to sit in the back to board the tender first. I was worried about not arriving on time... and cut it close. Conquest was supposed to arrive at 7am, but was running behind schedule. You will love the excursion!

Excellent info...thanx so much. We just confirmed our spot on the tour and can't wait! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to throw in my 2 cents for stingray sailing. We just did this last week. They were fantastic, there catameran in perfect size. We only had 22 in our group compared to some of the other boats that were at stingray city that had 50 or more people. Chip and crew were a lot of fun. You will not go wrong choosing them.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We went with them during the June 13th Freedom of the Seas sailing based on Trip Advisor reviews - loved every minute of it. We are rebooked with Stingray Sailing for next year's Freedom of the Seas trip as well!

There are many comments here regarding Carnival tenders. For RCI, the first tender time will be posted-ours was 8:30 ship time. Guest relations suggested lining up thirty minutes early. We overplan and were there one hour early, at 7:30. We were first in line-they don't use tickets-and on the first tender at 8:06-they started tenders nearly 30 min early. In Georgetown by 8:15, which was 7:15 local time. It was EASY!

Just want to throw in my 2 cents for stingray sailing. We just did this last week. They were fantastic, there catameran in perfect size. We only had 22 in our group compared to some of the other boats that were at stingray city that had 50 or more people. Chip and crew were a lot of fun. You will not go wrong choosing them.

Dave

Dave-good to see you on Cruise Critic! I'm pretty sure you're the family we kept running into...we were just in front of you and your kids on the Flowrider the first day, and we chatted about gymnastics while waiting in Georgetown. Hope all is well with you and your family!!

Archived