Parents-question about going w/out kids

So my mom is watching my 3 kiddos while hubby and I go on our 1st cruise. She seems to think that I need to have some sort of temporary guardianship papers drawn up in case of a medical emergency. She thinks that they might not be able to get treated if under her care. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

When we left our 4 with my sister-in-law, we left a note giving her permission to have our children treated by a doctor. If she doesn't have it and something happens to one of the kids they can't give them medical care. They don't have to be offical just a note that says so and so has my permission to make medical decisions for child name and then you sign it.

We always write a note saying So and so is responsible for our children and incase of an emergency has authorization to have medical care for our kids. We also list that they are not allergic to anything along with the ship #, our cell #, we leave insurance cards, etc.

When we cruised without our son we always left a note giving my sister permission to seek appropriate medical care for our child. My dh and I signed the note. We always called the pediatrician's office and told his secretary that we would be away, who our son was with, and informed her that my sister had a note concerning medical care. We were assured that this note was sufficient. Thankfully, there was never a need to use it.

Yep it doesn't need to be offical. Our kids go on trips with the church and for school, and that is what they use too. But all we have to fill in is the kids names and sign them, they have the rest of the info all typed up for us.

Not only do DH and I leave consent for medical care, but also dental and vision. In our note we include all insurance information, allergies and how long the person has consent to request treatment for the kids. We both sign the note.

DS is allergic to nuts so we also have to take his epi-pen, which EVERYTIME we leave him we go over how to use the pen.

We live in Texas and whenever we have to fill out similar forms for school or camp, they always have to be notarized. Obviously, getting your form notarized would not hurt; but failing to do so could be catastrophic. Also, our vet recommends a similar form for our dog. Ask your vet if they have such a form.

So my mom is watching my 3 kiddos while hubby and I go on our 1st cruise. She seems to think that I need to have some sort of temporary guardianship papers drawn up in case of a medical emergency. She thinks that they might not be able to get treated if under her care. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?

As a grandparent here in Tennessee all we need is a simple note not noterized. But we checked with the doctor to find this out. I have heard in some cases a "power of attorney" that is noterized is needed. It is a simple form hand written or typed stateing the length the child will be away from you. But as i say i think the childs doctor will give you the best advise. Have a Great Cruise:D

It's a good idea to have the letter authorizing your mom to make medical decisions for your kids while you're gone notarized. They will do it at your bank, for instance, and it takes about five minutes and at least at my bank they don't charge customers anything for the service.

My sister had a note from her daughter authorizing her to seek medical attention for her grandchildren while mom was out of town on business but it wasn't notarized. One of the kids got strep and my sister took him to the walk-in clinic (naturally, it was on a Sunday) and they would not treat him because the note wasn't notarized. Why not just get it done for everyone's peace of mind.

I have taken my nephew on two cruises and I get both his parents (they are divorced) to sign permission for me to take him and permission for me to seek necessary medical treatment, and I have those notarized. Thank God I have never had to use them but what if I did and didn't have them?

Barb

We've gone out of the country many times and have left a note authorizing the care-giver to make medical decisions on our behalf. We've never needed it to be notarized, but we do have a witness sign it, just in case. And, by the way, medical care WILL be given to the children, it just may not be in line with the parents' wishes. Children are never DENIED medical care (if they have insurance). The letter only gives you power to make decisions as to the KIND of care or HOW it is rendered.

Happy Sailing!!!! :D

Everytime we leave our son with anyone, we leave a note signed by both of us saying he is with them for this amount of time, he is not allergic to anything, name/phone/address of his doctor, etc. We got this information from the hospital when he was born and my MIL is a nurse and said that is all her doctors office requires from their patients. It may matter which state you live in - we live in Illinois and that works here. No need to notorize.

Everytime we leave our son with anyone, we leave a note signed by both of us saying he is with them for this amount of time, he is not allergic to anything, name/phone/address of his doctor, etc. We got this information from the hospital when he was born and my MIL is a nurse and said that is all her doctors office requires from their patients. It may matter which state you live in - we live in Illinois and that works here. No need to notorize.

When I go out of town I leave a note saying I give "so and so" permission to make decisions regarding medical care and schooling. Most people don't think about the schooling piece, but that way if an unexpected field trip or disciplinary problem should come up, the person I'm leaving my daughter with could sign or make those types of decisions as well. I don't ever have it notarized or anything.

when our 17yo dd needed emergency medical treatment the hospital accepted the hand written note we'd left with our older daughter and son in law, however, the dr's office ( for follow up next day) would not accept it, we had to fax the office a copy of both our driver's licences and a signed release for him to just look at her stitches, (she's ok ) I now always leave a notarized medical release for her ( she'll be 18 in Dec and then I won't have to anymore) Temp guardianship seems a little extreme, I'd go for the notarized med release.

We are all set with our pediatrician's office - every year when I fill out the paperwork at the office I include both sets of grandparents & the aunts as people authorized to permit medical care.

Our pediatrician said it might be a good idea to write a note giving permission in case they needed to take the boys to the hospital but said it probably wouldn't be necessary. And I'm sure this varies by state. We're in VA.

Earlier post said children are never denied medical care if they have insurance. Don't know if that's true or not, but it does bring up a few thoughts. I would guess life threatening injuries would always be treated, but that could be a far cry from what we, as parents, consider to be emergencies. Also, good idea to provide your caregiver with a copy of proof of insurance. But, why debate something as easy to do as a 5 minute letter? And, just for the record, I also hate it when my mother is right!

Earlier post said children are never denied medical care if they have insurance. Don't know if that's true or not, but it does bring up a few thoughts. I would guess life threatening injuries would always be treated, but that could be a far cry from what we, as parents, consider to be emergencies. Also, good idea to provide your caregiver with a copy of proof of insurance. But, why debate something as easy to do as a 5 minute letter? And, just for the record, I also hate it when my mother is right!

Hi, Hockeymom. Soccermom here. I put in the caveat about insurance to try and squelch the flames. Usually, in a life-threatening emergency, anyone is treated. However, believe it or not, some hospitals will NOT treat patients if they don't have insurance or a valid credit card. That's disgusting, in my opinion. But, it does happen.

At any rate, yes, please provide your child care provider with copies of insurance and prescription cards. I also include copies of Birth Certificates to show that we, who signed the authority letter, are in fact the actual parents.

I know for a fact that in South Carolina it doesn't. lol We live in California, inlaws in South Carolina. Two summers ago our kids went to visit - FIL got into a horrible car accident with our two kids. Ambulanced to the hospital, etc., all is fine, but MIL took that note and my kids were checked out. They also called us here, so we were available by phone.

On our cruise in May - kids will stay home. We will also have our cell phone at all times, just in case. I have T-mobil and have been told my cell has that Global network that works in the places we will be in europe.

I try to leave as much info as possible for any situation. I have left signed checks in case my inlaws have needed extra money for our kids or home. I leave a note, insurance info. And our itenerary of where we will be each day and a phone number of the hotel or for the ship.

Hi, Hockeymom. Soccermom here. I put in the caveat about insurance to try and squelch the flames. Usually, in a life-threatening emergency, anyone is treated. However, believe it or not, some hospitals will NOT treat patients if they don't have insurance or a valid credit card. That's disgusting, in my opinion. But, it does happen.

At any rate, yes, please provide your child care provider with copies of insurance and prescription cards. I also include copies of Birth Certificates to show that we, who signed the authority letter, are in fact the actual parents.

There is a federal law prohibiting patient dumping. Everyone who enters an E.R. for treatment must be screened. If it is not a true emergency then they can be directed to go elsewhere or maybe transferred to the county hospital. During the screening process, a patient cannot be asked about how they're going to pay for it. And it's not "usually" in a life threatening emergency that people are treated who don't have insurance. People are ALWAYS treated in a life or death situation-insurance or not. Just wanted to clarify that;)

To the OP, I would take care of any routine doctor's visits, immunizations etc. before you leave. Leaving a note behind with the grandparents is a good idea. In the case of a real life threatening emergency or an urgent condition such as an obvious fracture-rest assured that your children will be taken of by medical staff without anyone's permission.

Those notes we're required to sign for school trips and such are for gray areas. One example: child is away on school trip and suddenly becomes ill (maybe a fever and throwing up) and the parents cannot be immediately reached. The note gives the doctor permission to give medications or whatever. Not really a true emergency, but it does help expedite treatment. If on the other hand, the child has a seizure and becomes unconscious; the doctor isn't waiting for parents or anyone's permission to begin treatment. I hope that makes sense.

I doubt it would be an issue. My instincts tell me that in a medical emergency, and if unable to get proper consent, decisions are made according to the discretion of the attending physician, in the best interests of the patient's health.

I take it you are not in the medical or legal field. If it is a life threatening emergency, then usually there is no need for consent. If the kid broke an arm or needs stitches, then it is a different story.

• Administrators
I know for a fact that in South Carolina it doesn't. lol We live in California, inlaws in South Carolina. Two summers ago our kids went to visit - FIL got into a horrible car accident with our two kids. Ambulanced to the hospital, etc., all is fine, but MIL took that note and my kids were checked out. They also called us here, so we were available by phone.

On our cruise in May - kids will stay home. We will also have our cell phone at all times, just in case. I have T-mobil and have been told my cell has that Global network that works in the places we will be in europe.

I try to leave as much info as possible for any situation. I have left signed checks in case my inlaws have needed extra money for our kids or home. I leave a note, insurance info. And our itenerary of where we will be each day and a phone number of the hotel or for the ship.

I'm not sure what "knows for a fact it doesn't" means, in the context of this thread -- and I did go back to see if I could figure it out. However, I think you need to leave more than just contact/cell numbers and blank checks. Powers of attorney, authorizing another adult to act for you vis-a-vis your child in an emergency, have been standard since I was a small girl scout (40+ years ago). Signing them should be a no-brainer, to empower those you trust with your children to act in their behalf in an emergency. Both my brothers know I love my nieces/nephews better than sliced bread and voice mail put together (;)).... but without a power of attorney I won't take responsibility for them for more than a quickie afternoon trip to Mickey D's. With a POA? Sure -- take that cruise/all inclusive. :)

You need to leave your inlaws (or whoever will be in charge of your kids) a true power of attorney. What if (time difference, cell coverage, etc) they can't reach you? If you don't trust whoever you are leaving the kids with to act in a way you would approve if you were there in an emergency... um.... why are you leaving your precious children with them?

Seems we are debating the obvious. I just googled "Permission to treat" [with the quotes], followed by the name of my state, Texas. Voila! Google brought up a form. Also worked with Ohio, Florida, etc. I would suggest Anniversary Girl try to do this. Why take chances? And why stress Grandma out any more than she will already be?

Archived