driving in St Thomas/Tortola

gabmwa

Has anyone ever rented a car/van in St Thomas or Tortola? Will be there in December with family (6 adults) and are beach bums and would like to visit several beaches along with some of the islands. thanks

I agree, I would think twice about renting a car in St. Thomas - driving on the left side of the road throws me off as a passenger when everytime I see another vehicle coming! To make it even more difficult, vehicles there are american built, with the steering wheel on the left hand side as well. The local custom also seems to be just to "Toot your horn" when coming to a intersection, sharp turn, etc.

Hello,

There are some folks that are scared to drive here and others that after 30 minutes in the driver seat have a good handle on left side driving in a left steering car and think no problem, this is fun! I learned to drive on St. Thomas so its really easy in my opinion and driving in the states is a nightmare... LOL. (we are afterall creatures of habit.)

If you drive slow, ignore people behind you if they should honk because you are going to slow, have one navigator to read the map, chant left, left, left, left... you will be fine. Definately toot your horn (a long toot) at intersections, sharp corners... and a very short toot means thank you if someone lets you go or you let them go.

For your size group, renting a car is a good idea. Taxis charge per person and per destination so will add up.

--Islander

Archived