Taxi Fare in Puerto Rico

mfabz

Does anyone know the approximate cost of a taxi from the airport to the seaport in Puerto Rico. We are a couple traveling in February. Trying to decide if the cruise transfers are really worth it. Would appreciate any info on embarkation/debarkation. Years ago we were herded like cattle using cruise transfers. Would like to avoid this if possible. Thanks for your reply.

Cab is much better than cruise transfers, this goes for San Juan and anywhere else for that matter.

I think the fare is around $15, I don't remember for sure. Here's the good part. When you get in the cab line at the curb there is a city employee that dictates how much your cab fare is going to be. All fares are predetermined. You tell them which ship you are boarding they write down the fare, hand one copy to you and one to your cab driver. Great piece of mind for a spot with language barriers and cabs without meters.

Good Luck & Have a Great Cruise!! :) :)

For two or more folks.. go with cab (or per person rate w/van-shuttle, if offered -- we did that a LONG time ago but things may have changed).

In either case you save time and $$$.

Don't forget in SanJuan you'll be charged for EVERY piece of luggage that's put in the trunk ($1 each I think) plus the carry on pieces, camera cases and such... it's petty and adds up... We usually keep things w/us on lap since we have a bit.. these items could add $5-10 on top of the pre-set fare.

Carolyn

Carolyn, do they charge for each piece of luggage even if you carry with you in the back seat? I'm not trying to be petty, but I could save a couple of dollars by keeping my back-pack and camera/camcorder bag in the back seat with us. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Hi:

I just did the taxi cab from thePR airport to the pier last month & I will never again take the ship's transfers. There were 4 of us travelling & with our luggage-7 pieces- it was $26-27. Aside from it being less expensive, you are not being paraded around the airport following a rep with a sign then sitting on the bus waiting for it to be filled up. You just grab your luggage & go to the desk inside the airport & they will give you a piece of paper with how much the fare is on it & you hand it to the driver. Once at the pier, any luggage that is not small enough to fit through the x-ray machine will be taken at the curb and brought to your cabin later. You do have to tip the porters for this-$1 per bag. The whole experience was less stressful & much quicker. On the return home, the only problem we encountered was waiting for an elevator that would fit us. So I would definitely recommend allowing ample time for this.

Sandi

Archived