On Deck for a Cure

Tamara

Hi Everyone,

I haven't seen this posted anywhere here so I just wanted to pop in and let you know that CCL has a Breast Cancer walk ("On Deck for a Cure") on each of their ships, on every sailing, (according to the Valor CD). We were recently on the Valor and looked for this event to appear in the capers as someone very special to us was recently diagnosed and we wanted to show our support. For $10 you recieve a t-shirt and a pink bracelet and walk up on the running track 1 mile.

After the walk many people asked about the t-shirt/walk and were disappointed they missed it, as it was barely promoted. If you'd like to participate check your capers. -Tamara

Just returned from the Carnival Miracle today. The Walk for the Cure raised over $2000.00!!! It's simple to register at the formalities shop, get your shirt, and do the walk. Just watch your Capers and they will tell you when. Ours was the 3rd sea day (of 4).

Hi Everyone,

I haven't seen this posted anywhere here so I just wanted to pop in and let you know that CCL has a Breast Cancer walk ("On Deck for a Cure") on each of their ships, on every sailing, (according to the Valor CD). We were recently on the Valor and looked for this event to appear in the capers as someone very special to us was recently diagnosed and we wanted to show our support. For $10 you recieve a t-shirt and a pink bracelet and walk up on the running track 1 mile.

After the walk many people asked about the t-shirt/walk and were disappointed they missed it, as it was barely promoted. If you'd like to participate check your capers. -Tamara

This event is being promoted fleet wide, and indeed, on the majority of Carnival PLC ships. I believe it started on Holland and is spreading to the other lines.

Currently only conducted on cruises longer that five days, I think it's a brilliant way to give back, if only a little. I did this on my sailing on the Conquest last fall. I lost my mom to breast cancer many, many years ago.

We just did the walk on the 4 day Elation sailing to Cabo at week ago... we bought the shirts and wrist bands for $10 in the Formalities shop on Promenade deck the night before... They announced it at the show...

Good for Carnival!

We just did the walk on the 4 day Elation sailing to Cabo at week ago... we bought the shirts and wrist bands for $10 in the Formalities shop on Promenade deck the night before... They announced it at the show...

Good for Carnival!

Yep..the Elation is the only ship that does this that is under a 7 day cruise. It's too bad. i wore my t-shirt from the Liberty cruise I got in the fall on the Inspiration 4 night cruise I did a few weeks ago. People kept asking me about it. they all said the same thing..."Wished they did it on the shorter cruise".....

It was good to do the walk....by the way all..it is a 1Kilo walk...about 6/10 of a mile....Make yourself feel good and do the walk for someone you know or have lost.......;)

Thanks for letting us know about this. We, DH, DS, DD, my mom and I are going on the Triumph this October and are going to put this on our list of must do's. My mom is a breast cancer survivor so us three girls are going to walk to support a cause that is close to our hearts and lives.

We were thrilled to see they had it on the Miracle a couple weeks ago. A lot of people did it! Even if you don't want to do the walk, or are doing another activity at the time, just buy the t-shirt and donate your money! We thought it was just a great idea! Yep, they were at the Formalities Shop.

Anyone remember what time they do this?

On the Miracle last week they did the walk at 10:30 a.m.

Contact Carnival and let them know how much this is appreciated. We all have a tendency to write to complain, perhaps we should take the time instead to give them the praise they deserve for this activity then they will see how important it is to all of us. Also, include the request to offer it on shorter cruises allowing everyone to participate.

Yep..the Elation is the only ship that does this that is under a 7 day cruise. It's too bad. i wore my t-shirt from the Liberty cruise I got in the fall on the Inspiration 4 night cruise I did a few weeks ago. People kept asking me about it. they all said the same thing..."Wished they did it on the shorter cruise".....

It was good to do the walk....by the way all..it is a 1Kilo walk...about 6/10 of a mile....Make yourself feel good and do the walk for someone you know or have lost.......;)

I did the walk on a 6 day Liberty cruise last September and according to the calculations on the wall plaque by the track we did enough laps to make a full mile.

We did this on the 4/6/08 Conquest as well. (wearing my pink bracelet at work right now!!) In the debarkation talk, Wee Jimmy said the Conquest raised "over $1000 - take that times 23 ships each week... you do the math!!!" He said a family member of his was a survivor so it was a cause that was important to him. We participated in honor of my mother, who is a 12 year survivor.

I read (I think in the Capers) that $8 of the $10 goes directly to the Komen Foundation, carnival only keeps $2 to help with t-shirt/bracelet costs. That is pretty good percentage of money given to the organization!!

What does the T-Shirt say? I walked for a cure with Carnival or something like that?

"On Deck For The Cure"

It's pretty simple and kinda cute in that not embarassing kinda way.

I didn't know Carnival did this until the day I did it on the Legend last fall.

Archived