Here's YOUR complete info for hiking Diamond Head. Do not miss this highlight!

CaribbeanBound

I'm figuring on taking that misting water bottle with the battery-operated fan that allows you to spoil yourself with a cool wet breeze on demand. It made me the envy of all those other people in those long lines at Disney World last summer.

Treasurequest: Spoil yourself even more and take a golf cart. Kidding aside, someday I go back to Honolulu, I wanna try hiking DH.

I think the worst part of hiking Diamond Head is the unevenness of the trail in certain spots. My husband and I are experienced hikers, but I really feel like I had to watch each step I took on parts of this one!

Once you've done this one, hike the Koko Crater Trail! Very daunting looking from the bottom, but worth it once you get to the top. And Koko Head is taller than Diamond Head, so you get spectacular views of Hawaii Kai, Diamond Head and beyond.

• 1 month later...
Jenbo57... good remarks!

Thanks CaribbeanBound for all the info. on Climbing Diamond Head. We are going to try it out during our Hawaiian cruise that starts the 6th of Oct. We aren't renting a car so should we take a bus and does it leave from the port our cruise ship will be at? We are long distance runners which are very fit and want to hike DH in the morning about 10:00am. So will we be able to run up DH or will to many people be hiking it with us, being to hard to run by to many people?

inotdown...

Good post. Absolutely right. And quite the bummer!

I will be in Honolulu from Nov 4 - 17 and will miss my favorite source of island execise.

runcassrun_07...

Folks run it all the time. I saw a fellow who ran from Waikiki to the top and back. Often time you see folks running up and down the stairs.

You might encounter some crowds. Most hikers make way. Start as early in morning as possible to avoid them.

Linky:

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/NEWS01/809260387/1190/LOCALNEWSFRONT

This was just announced yesterday 9/25. I think many tourists are going to be bummed. Bad timing CarribeanBound.

If you are traveling afterwards though supposedly more landscaping and trail fortification are going to be done to the trail and the vehicle tunnel leading into the crater.

• 3 months later...

Arrival

You can walk, drive, take The Bus, or arrive by taxi.

You mention walking. The entrance appears to be a little more than 1.5 miles from several hotels including Resort Quest and W Honolulu - Diamond Head. Is it a pretty easy walk (not uphill both ways :D) and are there sidewalks etc. We will be in Waikiki 2 nights pre-cruise and would like to get our morning exercise in a beautiful setting. Haven't booked a hotel yet, so just looking for information. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This was a great summary of Diamond Head with lots of useful info.

My DH (63 and out of shape) and DD (22 and in shape) took about an hour and half to do this trip up and back. DH held my daughter up a bit.

Because of our own timing, we were not able to make this trip at the recommended early hours. They climbed it about 4:00 p.m. and this was a great time. We were there in May and it was not excessively hot. It was just a nice summer afternoon. It was also not crowded at this time at all. There were lots of places to park and few on the trail. Ended up being a great time to go.

Archived