Here's YOUR complete info for hiking Diamond Head. Do not miss this highlight!

CaribbeanBound

Hike Diamond Head

Diamond Head is an extinct volcanic crater located in Honolulu, Hawaii on the island of Oahu. It is located a short distance from Waikiki. A hike up the crater provides good exercise and spectacular 360-degree views of the island.

Hiking Map

The map and pictures for each ppoint of interest described herein can be found at http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html. For your convenience, pictures and descriptions will reference specific points on this map.

Timing

While the park service suggests you allow 1.5-to-2 hours for a leisurely hike; the hike itself, round trip, takes less than 55 minutes for an out-of-shape 48-year-old male. (I speak from experience). This includes 8 minutes at the top for pictures, and 1 minute stops at 10 other locations for pictures.

If you are fit, you can easily do the hike in under 30 minutes. If you are in worse shape than me, allow an hour. If you are in terrible shape, wear open-toed shoes, are carting a backpack full of junk, and the park is busy, allow 1.5-to-2 hours.

Big Hint

Plan to arrive as early in the day as possible. Gates open at 6:00am (0600). It will be less crowded and much cooler if you begin your hike before 7:00am. For reference, the gates close at 6:00pm (1800).

Preparation

I recommend sneakers (tennis shoes) or hiking boots, a lightweight windbreaker (wrap it around your waist in case it is needed), a hat, a bottle of water (freeze it the night before if you can. It will be ready to drink when you get to the top), and a flashlight if you arrive early during the winter months.

Cost

You can easily do this on your own. If you drive in, the cost is $5 per carload. If you walk in, the cost is $1 per person. You can take The Bus to Diamond Head for $2.00 per person each way but you'll have to hike into the crater, pay your $1 fee, and walk through the small parking lot before you begin the actual trail hike.

Arrival

You can walk, drive, take The Bus, or arrive by taxi. The entrance to Diamond Head is from the back side near the corner of Diamond Head Road and 18th Avenue [A]. The spot marked "Bus Stop" is for the local city bus, called appropriately enough "The Bus".

Lookout

You will curve left upon entering the road to Diamond Head crater. Prior to entering the tunnel that takes you into the crater, you will pass a popular lookout point which overlooks East Oahu. Hint: due to the sunrise, pictures are best in the afternoon.

Entering the Crater

You will make your way through the Kahala Tunnel [C] in the side of the crater to access the parking lot and park facilities inside.

The Toll Booth

Once inside the crater, you will be greeted by a toll collector at the front of the parking lot [D]. Commercial buses and taxis drop off and pickup passengers in a turn-around at the toll-both entrance to the parking lot. The toll booth and turn-around are not marked on the map. (The map was made before there was a toll). If you drive in, the toll is $5 per carload. If you walk in, the cost is $1 per person.

The Trail

The trail is 1.6 miles round trip and climbs 560 feet from the crater floor to an elevation of 761 feet. The trail starts out just past the Diamond Head State Monument sign [E] on the other side of the parking lot. It is next to a comfort station and an information booth. It starts out as a paved walkway, but most of the trail is pitted dirt and rock [between 2 and 3]. The floor of the crater is full of kiawe (similar to mesquite), koa haole (trees with pods), and wild grass. Cardinals, doves, sparrows, and geckos are the most common critters. It takes about 5 minutes to traverse the paved walkway.

The Trail and the 74 Steps

About 9 minutes of dirt and rock trail brings you to your first lookout area (and rest area for some) [4]. You'll have a good look at the eastern side of the island. The sun rises from this side. 1 minute later you'll find yourself at the first set of stairs [5].

The First Tunnel

74 steps lead you into the first, and coolest tunnel [6]. It is dimly---though adequately---lit, gently sloping, and runs for 225-feet. You'll emerge from the tunnel 4 minutes later.

The 99 Steps

Looking to your right, you'll see the daunting 99 step stairway [7]. Look to your left, and you'll find another little rest area and lookout. You can trudge up the stairs in about 3 minutes.

Short Tunnel and 3-story Spiral Staircase

Take a breath and proceed down a short tunnel to a spiral staircase [9] (photo looking up the staircase). Two minutes later, you exit on the 3rd floor of the staircase.

Fire Control Station Lookout

Work your way to the concrete Fire Control Station Lookout overlooking the Pacific Ocean [10].

54 Steps

Duck your head and exit the station to your left. If you look down to your right, you'll see the Diamond Head Lighthouse. You're almost there! It takes but a minute to walk the remaining 54 metal steps [11] to the summit of the crater.

Diamond Head Observation Station

Now you can enjoy the brisk breeze and panoramic 360-degree views [12]. You'll overlook all of Waikiki, catch planes landing at the airport, and can see as far as the Waianae Mountain range in the West. You can also see the eastern side of the island overlooking Kahala, Maunalua Bay, and two mountains beyond: Koko Head, and Koko Head Crater (which is home to Hanauma Bay on the other side). You'll see the sun rise from this side. To the North is the University of Hawaii, and the Pali Mountains. To the South is the Pacific Ocean. My picture of Waikiki on a early morning before sunrise doesn't do this view any justice.

The Return Trip and Other Notes

1. Allow about 25 minutes for your return trip.

2. If a snake jumps out at you while hiking, don't panic, it's only a stick. There are no snakes in Hawaii.

3. Strongly suggest close-toed shoes due to the rocky, pitted, uneven mountain trail. I have seen folks wearing slippahs (flip-flops), crocks, and high heals --- but I don't recommend it.

4. I once saw a couple pushing a baby carriage up the trail. I couldn't believe it. I don't recommend it.

5. You will likely see very fit folks jogging all the way up the trail and back down, perhaps even running up and down the flight of 99 steps. Pretty awesome. Due to my vertigo, I'm just happy to make it back to the bottom of the 99 steps without falling. (If you have vertigo, just take the steps slowly, hang on to the rail, and concentrate on each step).

6. In the winter, it is easy to arrive well before sunrise and watch from the summit. Just be sure to bring a flashlight as the trail can be very dark.

7. Of interest: just a half-block down 18th avenue is the Hawaii Film Studios lot and sound stages.

Have a great hike!

Complete details, maps and pictures of the Diamond Head hike...

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/diamondhead.html

I think a heart attack at the top wasn't mentioned. DH was 38 when he did this and called me from the top telling me how beautiful it was up there. I thought it was an obscene phone call from all the heavy breathing. It took him and our very fit friend about an hour to climb.

When we were there in December we climbed around 11:00am and it was not hot. We are both mid 50's and did the total climb in around one hour with rest stops and picture taking included. I'm so glad we did it. :)

Your info will be very helpful to future visitors!

The trail is 1.6 miles round trip and climbs 560 feet from the crater floor to an elevation of 761 feet.

I must've been on a different trail. I know it had to be 20 or 30 miles ;)

My hike was the one that mattmommy mentioned in post #3

BTW CaribbeanBound-Excellent post, great pictures & we're glad we did it!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Getting there early wont be a problem, we will be on eastern time! Just wondering how easy it is to take "The bus" from the pier/aloha tower?

Will we need to transfer buses somewhere and do they run that early? I wouldnt mind paying for a taxi if its under $20. Thanks for the info..

http://www.thebus.org/SystemMap/Map-B.htm Here is the system map so you want look it at. It looks like you'd need to transfer since the routes that go there are 22 and 23 (formerly 58). if you look at the website www.thebus.org you can plan out your route with the maps and they have timetimes for the bus schedules. remember to ask for a free transfer. not sure how much a taxi would be

• 2 weeks later...

Funny! I didn't realize what this was when my friend decided we should stop there. I am a hiker, so I thought it rocked. BTW, the 1.6 miles starts at the trailhead which is NOT the parking lot.

There was this out of shape couple I passed when I was 2/3 of the way down. They looked like they were going to pass out (I have to say it was almost high noon at that time - very hot). The lady asked if it were almost over. I said, well, it's not over until the fat lady sings, and she hasn't even begun to warm up, and even if she were singing, you couldn't hear her from here. The look of despair in her eyes - I'm sad to say - was almost funny (because I was almost down and nearer to the shaved ice trailer).

The views were great. Go early in the day...

Thanks for the great post CaribbeanBound. I plan on doing this hike with my husband and mother next year. We are also wanting to do a hike somewhere on Oahu that is relatively easy but where you get to see a variety of birds, plants and other sorts of nature. Any suggestions??

Most of our early morning are planned for haunama bay and pearl harbor. What about a 4-6pm hike in late June? Would it still be too hot? We fall into the category of "not very fit"!

I'm in the "not very fit" category but "trained" for 6 months to be able to do this hike (okay, for most folks it would just be treadmill walking but for me, it was 3-4 miles a day of "training"). We went at 7 a.m. in March and it was hot and muggy. "They" say it is windy at the top. Not our day. Could have used a breeze. The walk was okay -- the stairs are what got me. Take your time and take lots of water (one bottle wasn't enuf). The views are gorgeous but I personally would not attempt it if in the "not very fit" category late in the afternoon in June.

On the other hand, we passed lots of Asian ladies in high heels and heavy dark clothing who seemed to be doing fine. Of course, they weighed about 80 pounds apiece :cool:

I'm in the "not very fit" category but "trained" for 6 months to be able to do this hike (okay, for most folks it would just be treadmill walking but for me, it was 3-4 miles a day of "training"). We went at 7 a.m. in March and it was hot and muggy. "They" say it is windy at the top. Not our day. Could have used a breeze. The walk was okay -- the stairs are what got me. Take your time and take lots of water (one bottle wasn't enuf). The views are gorgeous but I personally would not attempt it if in the "not very fit" category late in the afternoon in June.

On the other hand, we passed lots of Asian ladies in high heels and heavy dark clothing who seemed to be doing fine. Of course, they weighed about 80 pounds apiece :cool:

Funny, I was behind a young oriental couple, at first I thought they were going to leave me in the dust. I ended up having to pass them. BUT, I love to hike. The key is to find your pace and just go with it. I find a lot of times when I stop and try to get going again, it is harder. There really is something to that second wind theory. When I was trying to get into running (never happened BTW), I used to find that I could go much further when I was at a good pace and when I didn't stop.

This may sound like a silly question but I am afraid of heights--I am ok with heights as long as I am not standing on the edge able to look straight down the side of the cliff or mountain. Is the hiking path close to any sharp declines?

This may sound like a silly question but I am afraid of heights--I am ok with heights as long as I am not standing on the edge able to look straight down the side of the cliff or mountain. Is the hiking path close to any sharp declines?

There really aren't sharp declines near the edge of the path; however, the stairs are quite steep and kind of freaky.

• 2 weeks later...

okccruiser...

There is a nice park up above St Louis Heights which can actually get rather chilly. You'll be hiking along the mountain peak. Great views. Very green (lots of big fat pine trees), cold breezes, lizards, birds. Google: Waahila Ridge State Park.

Fish1313... mimikens is almost right, and the stairs do give me virtigo. When you exit the bunker at the top of the hill and turn left to make your final climb, you are indeed on the edge of the mountain. In fact, you are often on the "edge", but nowhere do you ever feel unsafe.

Thanks for the info CarribeanBound. By the sound of things, I'll be OK. Read some reviews regarding some other self guided hikes and they sound great but they could be a problem for me. No railings, Cautions regarding mud slides--I am sure the hikes are worth the views but I not sure if I could overcome the fear if those conditions were existing.

We are definately doing this one!:)

• 5 weeks later...

Archived