When will Fuel Refund Post to Account?

dankevork

Hello all,

We have booked through a TA and she does not know the answer to this question. We are on the 6-13 sailing and booked before 11/15 so I know we are eligible for the refund as shipboard credits, when will I see that post to our account? Also will I be able to see this amount on the cruise personalizer?

TIA

If you booked through a TA you will not be able to see it on the cruise personalizer. I have seen some posts where the people have called Princess and the CSRs have verified it is there and others who have sailed recently have reported that it was on their accounts when they boarded the ship.

I can't believe your TA doesn't know the answer to the question and isn't willing to CALL to FIND OUT! That amazes me. No TA is going to know everything, but they should at least put a little effort forth and FIND OUT. She can very easily call Princess & they'll tell her if you're scheduled for a refund, if it's pending or if they've even gotten to it yet.

We got our two refunds (2 cabins) on Tuesday (I think it was) on our credit card for our March 29-April 5 sailing. They're still working on it. Give them just a little more time.

we booked a 10 day alaska cruise in january of this year , do we get a refund also ? we got a letter from carnival about a refund on them and i know they are affliated with princess..

our sail date is 8/5 and we paid 50$ each person for the fuel charge,

any thoughts ?

Let me add to the confusion.

We booked a cruise for August '08 back in June of '07, through a TA.

Per what is posted on the Princess website, my understanding is that this puts us in a group of clientele who (a) were charged the surcharge and (b) are supposed to be getting a refund in the form of an adjustment to our balance due.

So I call my TA, asking if that's been done.

Her answer is "we've been told Princess is handling it."

So -- just out of curiousity -- I call Princess. Their phone rep tells me "no, it's not automatic, your agency has to requested an 'updated booking confirmation.'"

So I call back TA (who works for a large, established, credible cruise-only agency) and explain I'm now confused and feel caught in the middle.

She has accounting area look into things. Latter group calls me several days later and says "we checked, and Princess never charged you the fuel surcharge to begin with, so there's nothing to refund."

While I have no reason to disbelieve that, I can't confirm it because none of the invoices I have received were itemized....:confused:

So, does anyone know --

(a) if pre 11/07/07 bookings automatically had surcharge added to total due at time of booking? Or were they applied later? If so, when?

(b) Was the policy different if you booked through TA as opposed to direct?

Let me add to the confusion.

We booked a cruise for August '08 back in June of '07, through a TA.

..So, does anyone know --

(a) if pre 11/07/07 bookings automatically had surcharge added to total due at time of booking? Or were they applied later? If so, when?

(b) Was the policy different if you booked through TA as opposed to direct?

Bookings we made prior to 11/07/07 did not have a fuel supplement added to the cruise price. There was no fuel supplement charges at that time. It was Nov. 7, 2007 that Princess advised they were adding these charges not only for future bookings but also for any cruises previously booked, paid for or not, that had not sailed.

Shortly after 11/07/07 our invoices were updated to say Fuel Supplement $$$ (the dollar amount). Our total invoice amount then increased that amount.

For our May cruise we will get the refund in OBC

For our Nov 08 and Apr 09 cruises our invoices have already been reduced by the amount of Fuel Supplement charges that were added.

We booked directly with Princess.

FYI- If I'd booked with a TA I'd check my original invoice and any invoices I might have received after 11/07/07 to see if there was an increase in price. I would also check with my TA to see what the amount of final payment will be. If that amount coincides with my figures of what I owe then I'd say the TA never passed the Fuel Supplement charges onto me but it it was higher then I'd want an explanation as to why my final payment was going to be higher.

Would anyone know if group bookings are affected by this?

I mean for anyone who booked a group BEFORE nov, 2007= not the people who booked the same group at a later date?

example- I booked in July 2007 for February 2009 as a group- will I still have to pay??

Would anyone know if group bookings are affected by this?

I mean for anyone who booked a group BEFORE nov, 2007= not the people who booked the same group at a later date?

example- I booked in July 2007 for February 2009 as a group- will I still have to pay??

You won't have to pay a fuel supplement because you booked prior to Nov, 7, 2007.

How the TA handled this - if they passed the fuel supplement charge onto you with an updated cruise price or not will determine if they will then lower your final payment by the amount they increased your invoice for the fuel supplement.

Mikeythemars -

Since you booked before the surcharge was announced your cruise fare does not include the fuel surcharge. If they had not rescinded it for those already booked when they announced the surcharge they simply would have added the surcharge amount to your final payment. Assuming you have not already made final payment for a cruise in August (final payment for our August 6th cruise is not due until next month) you will not have to pay it at all. When they announced that they were rescinding the charge they also announced that those who had not yet made final payment would simply not be charged at all. You should only have to pay the amount on your original invoice when you first booked.

From Princess.com:

Refunds for affected passengers will be implemented based on their cruise departure date according to the following schedule:

For cruises departing on or prior to April 4, 2008, passengers will receive a refund in the same form they used to purchase their cruise.

For cruises departing from April 5, 2008 through June 23, 2008, passengers will receive an onboard credit.

For cruises departing on or after June 24, 2008, passengers' bookings will be adjusted to eliminate the fuel supplement.

Looks like you are getting onboard credit.

From Princess.com:

Refunds for affected passengers will be implemented based on their cruise departure date according to the following schedule:

For cruises departing on or prior to April 4, 2008, passengers will receive a refund in the same form they used to purchase their cruise.

For cruises departing from April 5, 2008 through June 23, 2008, passengers will receive an onboard credit.

For cruises departing on or after June 24, 2008, passengers' bookings will be adjusted to eliminate the fuel supplement.

Thank you....

I wish that more people would use facts to answer questions, rather than speculation and guessung

From Princess.com:

We are sailing Aug 30th. We have an on board credit showing, but it is less than the $70 that we paid. I wonder if that is for the fuel or something else? I was glad to read your post, I couldn't find an answer when I did my search. Thanks!

My TA called Princess for me and this is her response:

I spoke to an agent at Princess and apparently they have not decided on how they will be refunding the fuel taxes to the passengers who had their cruises booked before November. They will advise us when they have figured things out.

Sure hope they figure it out soon.

Archived