Anyone been cut off from alcohol sales on a cruise ship?

CWcruisers

I know you all think there was more to the story, but truly there was not. That is why is still has me thinking about it and daring to put it on this forum. Don't you think that if we had been treated fairly, I would not have brought it up? As we kept telling the purser, we were just having fun and not bothering anyone, and he agreed. I was only cut off because he was. And we were not cut off by the bartender that had been serving us, but the bartender at the next bar we went to. Perhaps if the bartender that had been serving us suggested that my husband had had too much and that he was going to cut him off, it may have been accepted better. I have cut my husband off before, but that night, I did not see a problem.

We do not drink and drive at home, in fact, last weekend we went with a number of friends to a wedding aniversary party at the Officer's Club on Camp Pendleton and my husband volunteered to be the designated driver. We feel very strongly about drinking and driving, that is why we go on cruises, to eliminate that problem.

The OP, I have doubt that this was very embarrassing for both of you whether it was warranted or not. Maybe this bartender was overzealous but another time, maybe they didn't cut off someone who deserved to be cut off. But myself, I would have felt very humiliated so I understand your not going back to that bar....

And I'm not talking about situations on land where bartenders should and do moniter so people don't drink and drive. Or situations on cruises where there are people who are obviously drunk, loud, obnoxious, etc. Should they be cut off? Yes.

To BeachBumMama I am sure you specifically meant all those patrons on a cruise ship. But, it is interesting to see how many people take this same approach behind the wheels of a car. I have seen far to many life destroyed by those people who felt they were responsible enough to make their own decision. Sorry to through my two cents in, but it would be eat at me all night.

I'm not sure if you didn't read my full post or misunderstood what I posted. So I posted a portion of the bottom paragraph you might have missed. As I too am in agreement with you and all the others about people having to be cut off in particular cases.

In the OP's particular situation, driving did not pertain to her. Unless she was so intoxicated she did want to break into the control room to commander the ship!:eek: My post about 'policing' was also responding to the person who went to Ruby Tuesday and was told they couldn't have another beer. The wife was there and not drinking, but they wouldn't serve the husband another beer. He wasn't driving, he's old enough to drink, shouldn't he be old enough to decide how much is too much for him? He wasn't harming or bothering anyone else.

And the 2 drink maximum at an 'open bar' function on HAL. This was also where I was directing my comments about being 'policed' as responsible adults for someone else to let us know how much is too much. Maybe 2 drinks could be too much for one person, but shouldn't they be able to decide that for themselves? And again, I'm sure those people left that party and went to a bar to enjoy a few more drinks, so how was 'policing' that group of people to limit the number of drinks doing anything?

Again, just wanted to clarify my comments. I'm in total agreement that yes there are times people do need to be cut off and I'm in total agreement with the bartenders who have commented. I don't have an argument with any of that as it should be done.

And I wasn't there in the OP's situation but I have no reason to doubt her word. If it is as she said and they weren't loud, obnoxious, etc., I can't see a reason they were cut off. As others have posted, I think we've all seen groups of underage kids who certainly pose more of a 'risk' threat to the cruise lines than a husband and wife enjoying a night of a few drinks and dancing. Had they had too much? Maybe, probably, but as long as they weren't bothering anyone I think they should have been given the benefit of the doubt as responsible adults to stop when they wished and suffered the consequences of a hangover in the morning.

They weren't driving anywhere. And unless you give one a psychological test how are you going to know if they're at risk to jump overboard? And some people don't need alcohol to be stupid, sometimes they're just stupid. Period. As in the instance in my previous post.

Maybe it could have been dealt with in a different manner. Maybe the bartender could have just said, 'You know, I think you might thank me in the morning if I don't serve you a drink.' or 'How about a glass of ice water first, then I'll give you another drink'. Maybe he could have talked the husband into cutting himself off before the bartender had to.

Again, just wanted to clarify that I am in total agreement with everyone that at times people DO and SHOULD be cut off. And I think most on this thread will agree with the same thing.

But personally, I just don't see that in this particular case. If what the OP said is true, and I have no reason to doubt her word, I don't see why her husband would have been cut off and not the group of underage teens we've all seen and I'm sure there were some on this cruise also.

This will be the absolute 1st time I've ever heard of this. I've seen people so Pie-eyed that they can't stand up without support and still be served. I didn't read all the replies, which cruise line please? If anyone who's having fun and is not distubing others, then I see no reason why they should be cut off. Hey the Captain or his crew are steering, not the pax. I feel a formal complaint and a ban from that line is needed.

Ok, here's a question for those that dont belive that the employee should have cut them off.

If you were to " fall " overboard and delay the ship to either the next port or returning home. Should we be able to sue you or your estate for the damages? Cause I'm bettin the cruiseline would not do anything for the rest of us.

Now before you drinkers jump on me. I do like to have a few drinks while on my vacation. I do not drink to get drunk, and just because you are on vacation doesnt mean you should either. I dont know about you, but I want to remember my trip.

If you really needed that drink, or are that upset about being cut-off, then you may want to meet some of Bill W.'s friends.

Tim

Now we're getting to the asinine, self righteous comments.

To BeachBumMama: hear, hear - clink!

Archived