looking for tips on Mediterranean cruise

zender

Greetings. I'm going on a two week private cruise on the Norweigian Gem next summer. Ports of call include Rome, Naples, Sicily, Santorini, Ephesus, Istanbul, Athens and Valletta.

I'm basically a cruise novice having only sailed once so far to the Caribbean.

Looking for pointers - guide books, shore excursions, etc. Thanks!

Best tip I could give you is to NOT do ship tours.Book your own.

We did own own with 4 others from the CC med board and we saw so much more than those on the big buses. You will pick up all the info (as we did ) on the Med forum.

Are there any good travel guides that you all recommend? I will definitely check out the mediterranean forum.

I'm looking for ideas for enjoyable and memorable things to do while at sea also. My first and only cruise so far was pretty disappointing - Carnival Ecstasy four days with a single stop in Cozumel. The ship broke down and was very late arriving back in Galveston. I thought that the food and service, which I'd hoped would be above par, were both pretty disappointing.

I've been lurking here for sometime now and it appears that NCL and their freestyle cruising is pretty highly regarded. I'm also hopeful since I'll be on a much newer ship.

Are there any good travel guides that you all recommend? I will definitely check out the mediterranean forum.

I'm looking for ideas for enjoyable and memorable things to do while at sea also. My first and only cruise so far was pretty disappointing - Carnival Ecstasy four days with a single stop in Cozumel. The ship broke down and was very late arriving back in Galveston. I thought that the food and service, which I'd hoped would be above par, were both pretty disappointing.

I've been lurking here for sometime now and it appears that NCL and their freestyle cruising is pretty highly regarded. I'm also hopeful since I'll be on a much newer ship.

if you didn't like Carnival you probably will not like NCL ;)

Have a look at Princess...depending on your age you may even like Holland america

It's a done deal I'm afraid as this is a private cruise and already booked. I guess I'll just have to find something to like about NCL. From what I've heard though, freestyle cruising is very different from the standard and the ship looks extraordinary. :)

if you didn't like Carnival you probably will not like NCL ;)

Have a look at Princess...depending on your age you may even like Holland america

From what I've heard though, freestyle cruising is very different from the standard and the ship looks extraordinary. :)

"free style" just means you can eat dinner when you choose within the dining hours set by the ship.

They go by other names on other cruise lines EG "dine as you wish" "open seating" "anytime dining"

There is no set dining times.

A dress code is still in effect.

Enjoy the cruise

"free style" just means you can eat dinner when you choose within the dining hours set by the ship.

They go by other names on other cruise lines EG "dine as you wish" "open seating" "anytime dining"

There is no set dining times.

A dress code is still in effect.

Enjoy the cruise

I've been on a couple of NCL cruises, do not, I repeat, do not, worry about the dress code ;)

I think a cruise is what you make it. I don't think it's up to the line whether you have a good time or not, we've had some great trips on less than perfect ships.

To the OP, please visit the Europe board here, I'm lurking there and learning quite a bit. Have a wonderful cruise :)

It's a done deal I'm afraid as this is a private cruise and already booked. I guess I'll just have to find something to like about NCL. From what I've heard though, freestyle cruising is very different from the standard and the ship looks extraordinary. :)

Not to worry....in Europe it's much more about the ports than about the ship (which becomes, more or less, a floating hotel for most people)! You will have a great time if you keep a positive attitude and reasonable expectations.

Archived