Are french manicures still in style?

CowPrincess

Or not? If not, any suggestions for a nail polish that will last for the length of my 7 day cruise? Color, brand, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Black is the new neutral but it is hard to maintain.

A neutral would be the easiest.

I agree, the easiest way to go is neutral. I've had very good luck with Essie nail polish, it is inexpensive but lasts a long time. My favorite color is Mademoiselle, it is a very neutral light pink (and looks great when used in a french manicure).

I love a french manicure. Even if you have short nails they make your hands look longer and thinner (I need that). Plus now you can go a little crazier with the colors. maybe a blue tip if your formal dress will be blue.

what I love is the cheap glue on plastic nails from walmart or a drug store. They are SO much cheaper than going to a salon and if you prep you hands (push back buticles, clip nails VERY short, buff nails so they glue adheres etc...) they look amazing. I do it any time I need a nice manicure!! Plus to get them off you just soak them in acetone nail polish remover. (It takes a little time, but it's easy) They make them for your toenails now too, but I haven't used those!! I stub my toes so much I think they'd break off. But the nails stay on for at least 10 days if you don't have any tragedies (I broke one almost falling down my stairs. OUCH) and if one gets loose you can just put a little more glue under it and you're good to go!

I stub my toes so much I think they'd break off

Are you my long-lost twin? :) I've broken every toe at least once, and some of them three times!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I'll get a french mani -- I love the look, and they last really well on me. And a pail pink on my toes.

French will always be classic

But this is what I use to make it last longer.. I buy the white pencil for under the nails.. and use Esse Marshmellow (or your color of choice) on top on the entire nail..

This is actually a true french manicure- American version is painted on.

This way it lasts longer..

:D French manicures are always nice. Just had one done today. Done every 2 weeks. When I come home, I always put a couple of coats of clear on so it will last longer. I also heard of the Sally nail polish with sun block. It really does work, if you do put a coat on every few days.:cool:

I think French/American manicures will always be in style. For neutral colors I read once that if it's got the glitter/sparkly stuff in it it lasts a bit longer. Something about the sparkle clinging longer or something. :confused:

Anyway, I did exactly that for a cruise a couple years ago and it was amazing. You'd have never guessed that I wasn't getting touch ups constantly.

I hope a French manicure is still in as I have gel on my nails and it is always done that way.

I usually have them filled every 3 weeks or so and they generally look pretty good. I have my nails cut fairly short every time but i have long fingers and hands.

(see the Gel Nails thread).

... because towards the back of a Marie Claire magazine, they reviewed what was "hot" and "not"

Well, some editor decided that french manicures are tacky- they were in the "not" category... I am having my nails done in a week for my cruise, and was thinking about having a french done with pink tips... now I am not sure.

stupid of me really, to care what I read... :rolleyes:

some editor decided that french manicures are tacky- they were in the "not" category...

Everything seems to go in and out of fashion, including nail styles. I can't see a french manicure being "tacky".... "done", "over", "passe", perhaps, but not tacky. I've decided to go with a french manicure for my cruise -- every time I have one done, I get TONS of compliments. Go for it if you like the look -- what's the worst that can happen? :) (maybe we can bring them back into the "hot" category!!)

Everything seems to go in and out of fashion, including nail styles. I can't see a french manicure being "tacky".... "done", "over", "passe", perhaps, but not tacky. I've decided to go with a french manicure for my cruise -- every time I have one done, I get TONS of compliments. Go for it if you like the look -- what's the worst that can happen? :) (maybe we can bring them back into the "hot" category!!)

LOL - You're right... and really should I care what other people think? We just need to make them look hot. I am not sure about using press on nails on my feet though... :eek:

I did, however, consider having the colored acrylic put over the entire nail, rather than just the tips. Talk about polish that WONT come off! It is just a real committment to the color, as the fill will have to match- seriously I am thinking of having them taken off as soon as we get back. My nail friend wont be too happy with me... :o

... because towards the back of a Marie Claire magazine, they reviewed what was "hot" and "not"

Well, some editor decided that french manicures are tacky- they were in the "not" category... I am having my nails done in a week for my cruise, and was thinking about having a french done with pink tips... now I am not sure.

i love my pink and whites!!!!!!!:)

French is a classic that never dies.

Black is the new neutral but it is hard to maintain.

A neutral would be the easiest.

Im going to have to disagree with you. Black was in 2 summers ago, and its not really in style anymore. Which is a shame because I loved black and even used to have black tips.

However, fear not Blue Herons! As I've read from Chanel their new "it" color this season is a dark blue. I like Chanel because they have the latest trends in nail color.

French is a classic that never dies.

Im going to have to disagree with you. Black was in 2 summers ago, and its not really in style anymore. Which is a shame because I loved black and even used to have black tips.

However, fear not Blue Herons! As I've read from Chanel their new "it" color this season is a dark blue. I like Chanel because they have the latest trends in nail color.

Here in the City black is most certainly in!.. so is that almost black from Chanel...

But really who cares LOL whats in..Wear what you like! I wore black when it was considered "TABOO"

;) :D

LOL Do you really care what some overpaid editrix of Marie Claire says about French Manicures?

Do you what you like and what you are comfortable with.. My suggestion above lasts longer than the American Version of the Fr Manicure...

try it!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!

I always loved a french manicure, and always will. I have one done right now. My nails are long, so I got the white tip in a V shape with glitter outlining it. I've gotten so many compliments about them (even men!).

That is nice!

I have never seen a french manicure with a pink tip?:confused: Wouldn't the defeat the purpose of a natural look? I wear a french from spring to fall and they do color in the winter for a change. In my area there are still french manicures everywhere but only the natual pink base with white tip. I don't think they are "out".

Just this morning at the tanner(which also has a nail salon in it) The woman who was showing me to the room had a french with bright green tips. It was really cute and made sense in the place that she worked (It's ALWAYS summer in there)

Well, French Manicures used to be used to make you nails look clean and long and healthy all the time, now there is a lot more room to be wild. No purpose has been defeated as it's just another style. I see a lot of the really younger girls doing pink and whites. They don't have to worry about any colors chipping or fading so they can just go in and have them filled and they're good to go!

Archived