Almost 3, Stroller or No Stoller?

kalley79

My DH decided that he and my youngest son would stay home from this cruise. So now it is my oldest DS who will be 3 in June and I cruising along with approx. 20 members of my family in less than 10 days. We will be flying into Ft. Lauderdale and spending the night and then continuing to Miami the day of the cruise. My son is fairly well behaved. He usually listens well and if I tell him to stay next to me or hold my hand I don't have any meltdowns or anything like that. He doesn't particularly like to be in a stroller, but will sit in one if he is made to. I have bought a "leash" with a removable harness for the day we are in San Juan. I had originally thought that I would be taking a stroller, but now that I am getting to the packing and seeing how much stuff I am taking, I just don't know if I want that extra burden. For all of you who are seasoned family cruisers please help. Does a stroller really come in handy with the toddlers/preschoolers? Thanks for any advice.

-Kellie

I'd say yes!!! We usually take an umbrella stroller (small fold up) with us just in case DS is now 4 and we still plan to take one. He gets tired after a long day walking around & it comes in handy in ports! Another good use is when he is walking around we put our bags in it!!!! But seriously the one time we did not take it off the ship with us, by the end of the day DH ended up carrying him on his shoulders, poor thing was pooped out....You may not have to use it at all, it also depend on the ports & what you plan on doing....Hope this helps

Especially since you're flying, and by yourself in the airport - the waits and distances can be very long in the airports alone, let alone at the port and on board. I would absolutely want to have a stroller to put him in if he's tired rather than be stuck carrying him while juggling everything else.

And I LOVE having a stroller on board and in the ports. Great place to put water, towels, bags and crabby or napping kids. My girls used their stroller a lot on board when they were 3. I still plan on taking it on our next cruise when they'll be going on 4.

Best,

Mia

I agree with the previous poster who pointed out the distances in some airports, etc. But, can you handle DS in the stroller AND your luggage? Or will you make all parts of the trip with family members, who can give you a hand? Even in some ports, it is a long way from the gangway to where you can get a cab or where the buses are waiting for excursions.

I always liked to put my child in the stroller at times when I knew my attention would be somewhat diverted - like checking in at the airport. I've also found that my children, who at that age rarely if ever use a stroller at home, would use one on trips.

On the whole, if I were you, I think I'd bring it, especially if you'll have help from other family members. I'm the sort who would rather lug it around and end up not using it much than risk leaving it and home, and being annoyed with myself the whole trip for doing so.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!:)

Definitely! My son is 3.5 and we just used it on our 10 day cruise. He got worn out by the excitement, long days, different dining, etc. He needed to have a little "home base" available. He didn't always use it, but we were glad we had it with us. We also loved having the storage for bags and such. We took our Maclaren Triumph and loved it!

Going to thread jack here a second but I'm just curious if you can use the stroller while on the ship?

Our first cruise was at the end of November and there were hardly any kids on board and I don't remember seeing any strollers.

I guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't bring the stroller - it's just one more thing to lug around and, at almost three, he should be able to walk wherever you need to go.

If he were a stroller lover, and you could be sure that he would ride in it all the time, then I would consider it, but if he doesn't want to ride in one, then I wouldn't bring it.

We managed fine on a 7 day E. Caribbean cruise in January with our 2.5 year old and no stroller.

It depends on your child and how much he likes to walk. When my kids turned 3 I literally 'kicked them out' of the stroller and made them walk. They were active enough that it wasn't a problem. However, when my DD was 4 we were at Disneyworld and had a stroller for our son (who was 2) and she was always wanting to ride in it. It was just the kind of place where she exhausted herself walking.

We've been taking cruises twice a year since my son turned 3 (he's 5 now) and never taken a stroller. However, the kids have also been pulling their own suitcases through the airport (kiddie ones, obviously) and walking everywhere in port with us. If you think your son can do this, then you don't need a stroller. If he gets tired with a short walk, then a stroller is in order.

Going to thread jack here a second but I'm just curious if you can use the stroller while on the ship?

Our first cruise was at the end of November and there were hardly any kids on board and I don't remember seeing any strollers.

Yes - but I imagine during your honeymoon it's not something you're noticing! There are always lots of strollers on board - some ships even rent them.

Best,

Mia

Stroller! And one secret about the stroller...it often gets you to the front of the line...lol.

When you go to get on a tender, the rest of the passengers have to walk down the stairs and wait in line. Anyone with a stroller is allowed to take the elevator, which usually opens at the gangway, at the front of the line. :D

I'd take a front/back double. A side-by-side won't work, and with one stroller, you won't be required to have two people to go anywhere. I have seen lots of twins cruising in the single strollers - just depends on whether you want to be able to take them around alone.

Best,

Mia

I have twins that will be about 2.5 when we go on the cruise... should we take a double stroller or two umbrella strollers... and if we should take the double stroller would a side by side or front/back be better???

We used a tandem stroller and it worked great. It was narrow enough (barely) for the hallways and getting by carts, tight in the elevators but it did fit and would have been very difficult with two little ones not to have it. Sometimes even the walk from your room, to the pier to the bus is quite a distance. Then add in diaper bags, cameras, etc and you'll be exhausted before you're even out of sight of the ship. A side by side would not have worked as you wouldn't be able to get by the carts that are always in the hallways.

Its been a very long time since I have had a 3 year old (my baby is 18 years old). I remember when he was 3 years old we took a big trip out west for 2 weeks vacation (a lot of work but a lot of fun). I don't think we could have made it without the stroller as we used it daily. It's a nice place for them to nap too. I would for SURE take the stroller.

Archived