Benefits of Total Booking?

I'm sure this has been asked before (several times), but it looks like the search is down for now.

We're debating between booking our flight separately or with RCI. If we book separately, we'll have to stay a night at a hotel before, and possibly one night after. If we book together, we won't need to do that, so if we take the cost of the hotel out of it, they're about the same price (together is a little bit more).

Is there any extra protection associated with booking it all together? As in...if the cruise gets cancelled, do we get reimbursed for it all or not? I like that there is less hassle, and the cruise takes care of the flight booking, but are there any other benefits?

Also, what insurance do they offer, and is it worth it?

Sorry for the broad questions. Any help is appreciated. :)

I'm sure this has been asked before (several times), but it looks like the search is down for now.

We're debating between booking our flight separately or with RCI. If we book separately, we'll have to stay a night at a hotel before, and possibly one night after. If we book together, we won't need to do that, so if we take the cost of the hotel out of it, they're about the same price (together is a little bit more).

Is there any extra protection associated with booking it all together? As in...if the cruise gets cancelled, do we get reimbursed for it all or not? I like that there is less hassle, and the cruise takes care of the flight booking, but are there any other benefits?

If you choose RCL air I would suggest doing custom air so you have the say in how you are routed. If you don't they could put you on a flight with 2 stops with terrible connections and such. It would cost you 75$ pp for custom air but then you get to choose your flights. If you are a platinum member then the fee is waived.

Very rarely cruises are canceled so I wouldn't worry on that account and I would suggest insurance no matter how you book, available both through the cruiseline and privately.

Here is a great thread that explains cruise air - basically you get nothing!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530322

Looking at these posts convinced me to drop the cruise air - and fly in the day ahead. I have had bad experiences with the cruise air - and rushed on the ship at the last minute. NOT FUN!!

What convinced me was looking at the flights that were available and realizing the timing could be very tight. I would much rather have the start of my vacation be relaxed rather than rushed.

I was able to get us airfare, transportation, one night at the hotel and still end up $20 cheaper per person than cruise air.

Tony-

Looks like you are booked in January. If you live anywhere near the snow/ice belt, by all means plan to get in a day ahead of time.

Booking with the cruiseline does not mean they will hold the ship for you.

Yes, they might be able to get you to the next stop in time.

Was a gal from Chicago on our last cruise. She had booked trip to Antarctica with the line. Weather delay in Chicago, and the line indicated that she could fly to the next stop and catch the ship. She pointed out that this would be something like 7 or 8 days after initial sailing, and she would lose most of the cruise. After much discussion, they decided to let her rebook on later cruise--but she missed the Antarctic.

We used to have RCI do all our arrangements for us - until we compared their price with what we could do for ourselves! We especially found that the hotel part was outrageous. If you're coming to the port city the day before, IMO you'll save money and get better flights if you DIY. We also book our own insurance (InsureMyTrip . com is a good place to look and compare) because we've found that coverage is usually better and about the same cost.

In most cases, you can book your own air and hotel for much less than going thru'RCI. The only "advantage" you get is transfers by RCI are included in their price. When going out and returning from different airports or going to Europe, RCI can often save you money on their air fare. Hotels are still usually cheaper if booked by yourself.

Tony-

Looks like you are booked in January. If you live anywhere near the snow/ice belt, by all means plan to get in a day ahead of time.

Booking with the cruiseline does not mean they will hold the ship for you.

Yes, they might be able to get you to the next stop in time.

Was a gal from Chicago on our last cruise. She had booked trip to Antarctica with the line. Weather delay in Chicago, and the line indicated that she could fly to the next stop and catch the ship. She pointed out that this would be something like 7 or 8 days after initial sailing, and she would lose most of the cruise. After much discussion, they decided to let her rebook on later cruise--but she missed the Antarctic.

That was definitely something we were worried about. Many of the flights we looked at went through O'Hare and other northern areas (we live in NW Arkansas, so we definitely don't need to go north). The flight we looked at separately was from Kansas City, MO (I have family there that I can stay with/drive us there) directly to Miami. We were getting ready to book it, and then the RCI site was throwing a fit because we wanted to fly in a day early. :rolleyes:

But it looks like that's what we'll be doing (separately), if there's no real benefit to booking it all through them - I had heard from someone that they may hold the ship a couple of hours, or give you a full refund, if they don't get you there on time. If not, there's no point in doing it all together.

Archived