First Time Cruiser..Basic info needed please help...

swtonu

My Boyfriend and I along with 2 other couples are cruising for the first time in February 2009, Southern Caribbean on the Serenade of the Sea out of San Juan. I'm a little nervous (oaky I'm a lot nervous) as I am the one who talked everyone into going. However last night at dinner everyone seemed very excited but started to ask me questions about the cruise that I just didn't have the answer to. I have no clue what to expect, or what type of shore excursions we should do because of my lack of knowledge about cruising. I have gone through the list of shore excursions through Royal Caribbean, they seem like fun, but only a few really jumped out at me. I guess what I am looking for is maybe a link or web-site outside of what Royal Caribbean offers that is safe and a lot of fun. I have gotten so much information from the message boards and I would really love any advise experienced cruisers have to give for first time cruisers shore excursions. Thanks in advance!!!!

My Boyfriend and I along with 2 other couples are cruising for the first time in February 2009, Southern Caribbean on the Serenade of the Sea out of San Juan. I'm a little nervous (oaky I'm a lot nervous) as I am the one who talked everyone into going. However last night at dinner everyone seemed very excited but started to ask me questions about the cruise that I just didn't have the answer to. I have no clue what to expect, or what type of shore excursions we should do because of my lack of knowledge about cruising. I have gone through the list of shore excursions through Royal Caribbean, they seem like fun, but only a few really jumped out at me. I guess what I am looking for is maybe a link or web-site outside of what Royal Caribbean offers that is safe and a lot of fun. I have gotten so much information from the message boards and I would really love any advise experienced cruisers have to give for first time cruisers shore excursions. Thanks in advance!!!!

Congrats on bookin the Serenade - we really loved that ship! So far, the southern route has been our favorite. We booked two excursions with RCI (snorkeling in Trunk Bay - very nice) and also in Antigua we did the Prickly Pear Island (our favorite!) We booked Cosol in St. Lucia (this was really wonderful) and in St. Maarten we booked with Island Excursions and also had a great day. Check the posts for those paricular islands and see what others have done - you will see a wide variety of ones who liked the same excursions and others who did not. I guess it depends on the day and the tour guide. It was definitely cheaper to go on a private excursion, but you are responsible for getting back to the ship on time. If you are on an RCI excursion, they will guarantee that you will get back to the ship on time or they will pay for your trip to the next port to re-join the ship. The two private excursions we did were very professional and well aware of the time!

Bon voyage!!!:)

When I am searching for tours on a particular island I haven't been to I always do an Internet search for that particular island. Islands have wonderful websites that allow you to basically tour the island before even getting on a ship. You can find out about its culture and people. The best beaches and places to eat. Any they offer more information on tours than the ships to. Use the Internet it holds a vast of information.

You will fall in love with cruising. I just wish I didn't wait 55 years before I tried my first one.

I think you will love this itinerary. Just keep reading the boards and you will find a wealth of info on fun things to do on the islands.

I went on 03/22 of this year. If you go to the meet and mingle boards and click on 03/22/08 Easter cruise for Serenade and read our many postings you will get a ton of info on what to do on the different islands. We all did alot of planning ahead of time and posted some reviews afterwards.

You can't go wrong on this trip- lots of islands and tons of fun things to do.

One of my favorites was taking a taxi over to Sunset Beach [Maho Bay] on St. Maarten and watching the planes land. The runway is a stones throw from the beach. The big planes come in the afternoon. They have a lively beach bar there and chairs to rent on the beach. It does have a few topless women here and there, as do most of the beaches in St, Maarten.

In St. Thomas I've heard that Trunk bay is the best for snorkeling and beautiful beaches, but we just took a taxi over to Coki beach and and had a nice day on the beach there instead.

Antigua is an island full of beautiful beaches- plenty to choose from.

In Barbado's you can snorkel with the sea turtles, crowded but fun.

St. Lucia is a tropical paradise, but I think I would do a tour on this island rather than going on your own.

Of course there is shopping at every port and there are always good deals to be found.

The dining room on the Serenade is fabulous, the food and service outstanding.

If you have the time take an extra day to explore old San Juan. It's a fun beautiful and safe city just to sightsee.

My Boyfriend and I along with 2 other couples are cruising for the first time in February 2009, Southern Caribbean on the Serenade of the Sea out of San Juan. I'm a little nervous (oaky I'm a lot nervous) as I am the one who talked everyone into going. However last night at dinner everyone seemed very excited but started to ask me questions about the cruise that I just didn't have the answer to. I have no clue what to expect, or what type of shore excursions we should do because of my lack of knowledge about cruising. I have gone through the list of shore excursions through Royal Caribbean, they seem like fun, but only a few really jumped out at me. I guess what I am looking for is maybe a link or web-site outside of what Royal Caribbean offers that is safe and a lot of fun. I have gotten so much information from the message boards and I would really love any advise experienced cruisers have to give for first time cruisers shore excursions. Thanks in advance!!!![/quote

You might try getting your cruisemates involved with this search. Stay in contact with them, and have fun deciding what and where to go. I know you have been told to stay with ship excursions, But there are many independent operators, that are very good. If they do a bad job, word will travel like wild fire on these boards. I hope you look outside the box

and have a great cruise adventure. Have an agreement with your cruisemates that each can do thier on thing. Regards, John

Hello, I felt the way you do on my first cruise, but 34 cruises later it's like a lifestyle. St. Thomas is U.S. virgin island. It is easy to get around by taxi. Magens bay is a good beach to relax. It has a bar, rentals,bathrooms,restaurant. Coki beach is a good snokel beach. Trunk Bay beach (usually a tour) is on the island of St. Johns ( also U.S.virgin island) is beautiful and has an underwater snorkel trail that you can follow around the reef. You will also find that shopping is popular on this island because U.S. citizens get a larger duty free allowance. St. Maarten (dutch side) St. Martin (french side) is also easy to get around by taxi. I prefer orient beach on the french side ( you will see some nudity because the far end is a nudist resort but 95% of the beach is the clothed side) . It is a beautiful beach that has alot of things to do. You can rent jet skis, parasail, there are also bars, restaurants, and other rentals. we went to the beach bar called The Pirate. A round of 6 drinks was $12 and their food is good. Antigua is very nice. Nelsons dockyard is a popular tour. Dickenson beach is very nice with all of the things mentioned for the other beaches.St lucia I would do a tour. They have tours that combine a trip to the volcano (The Pitons) and a snorkel trip. Barbados (british) is easy to get around by taxi. I don't recall a beach to recommend. The cab drivers at most islands are very helpfull and can make recommendations. They usually offer island tours as well,negotiate a price first. At The ports there will be tourist info,guide books,coupons,etc The ship is great,you'll have a great time. The food is good. Don't be shy,order what you want,try new things,if you don't like it they'll take it away and bring you something else. The soda card is worth it if you are a big soda drinker. Read the CRUISE COMPASS each night ( it will be put in your cabin each night) so you will know the next days activities. Pick and choose what you want to do.

Don't try to do it all!! Relax, have fun. Once you go you're hooked for life!!

Hello, sorry to be so long winded. I also wanted to recommend that you take 24 Hour( 1 a day) Dramamine. Take it the night before or early that morning of your sailing day so it's in your system. You can judge for yourself once you start sailing as to whether you need it,if so take it each night at bedtime,if not simply stop taking it. It is just a precaution being you haven't sailed before. The ship has stabilizers that cancel some motion but everyone is different as to how much motion bothers them. It's better to take it before,than to not feel good. You can also buy Ginger capsules at a vitamin store if you want some natural instead. We also bought a pop up hamper to use in the room,it help keep it neat.

If you buy liquor on the islands ,keep in mind that it must be packed in checked luggage and can not be carried onto the plane dispite what the stores tell you. Some tell you that the travel boxes can be carried on: not true. If you packing it keep in mind the weight. Cheap liquor isn't cheap if it causes you luggage to be over weight resulting in a $50 baggage charge. Hope some of this info was helpful.

I've found this board is jam packed full or ideas and help. I also used CruiseReviews.com when I took my first cruise and got some good ideas. (I'm not sure I can mention another web site). They had nice long reviews of each ship and on their port review section they had good descriptions of the ports and visitors can post their experiences also. So, read both and you will be able to at least appear like you know a lot. Good luck

Here's the link to the Ports board. Just scroll down to the particular island and peruse through the wealth of info available. As someone else mentioned, you should get the others involved in doing research also. Get some ideas kicking around and let everyone decide on what to do. As a side note, we usually cruise with friends and don't always take the same shore excursions. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. You'll love that cruise and itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=5

I just wanted to say thank you for all the information. We did find something's that we are very interested in doing that were outside of the cruise line. Thanks again for your kind words and sharing your experiences with me......YOU GUYS ROCK!!!!!!

Things to look for on the Radiance Class Ships. You guys are going to have a great time on Serenade of the Seas. While everyone has posted on this thread things to do in port, here are a couple of suggestions of things to do on the ship that you should consider.

Dinner at the Windjammer - This is often overlooked especially by first time cruisers. We just returned from Jewel of the Seas, one of Serenade of the Seas sister ships. The food in the dinning room was great. But the Windjammer was fun, they have basically the same menu as the Main dining room, but it is done in buffett style. The main attraction is the build your own pasta and build your own pizza bar. Plus the Radiance Class ships have an outside seating area at the far back of the ship. It was never crowded on the Jewel so we were always able to find a table overlooking the water. Sitting outside, listing to the water and seeing the ship's wake illuminated by the moon was romantic and an experience you can't get on shore!

The Thermal Suite, this is part of the ships spa area. (Tour the Spa area the day you board, it is open for tours before the ship sails) My wife wanted to try the Thermal Suite with its heated tile chairs, sauna, steam room etc. They charge to use it but we both really enjoyed it. It was quite relaxing. There is a free sauna and steam room in the locker rooms in the Spa area. You can just as the staff at the spa desk for a locker room key and use those as well.

I posted a couple of tips for snorkeling on another thread, but here are the highlights. Before you leave go to your favorite department store and pick up a couple of those waterproof disposable cameras. You can usually find them at home for $10-$15, or you can buy them in the islands for $25. Bring a tshirt and some ankle length socks to wear while snorkeling. The Tshirt will help prevent sun burn and the socks will prevent blisters. (The ankle length socks are less bluky when they get full of water.) May people bring their own snorkeling gear, (we always do). If you go to a dive shop and try on masks you can find one that fits your face, which will cut down on the amount of leakage in your mask. The other plus is you can go off on your own and have gear.

Have a great time!

Archived