Naples....need help

My husband and I will be stopping in Naples in August. We would love to see Pompeii, and then tour the Amalfi coast. We do not want to rent a driver.....would prefer to explore ourselves. Does it seem extremely crazy to rent a car for the day? Just wanted to get some opinions. Also, if we do this, any ideas on a car rental agency not too far from the pier?

Thanks!

Having done it by private driver and seeing the roads and traffic, renting a car and driving ourselves in the Naples/Amalfi/Pompei area would 100% definitely NOT be an option (and we have driven all over Europe and Italy, in particular in rental cars). There is absolutely no way I would drive on the Amalfi drive myself-too much traffic, hairpin turns, buses, no where to park, etc.

Hire the private driver and he/she will take you where you want. Or take a tour! I think you will regret it if you try to drive yourself!

ME NEITHER...... and we too like to rent cars and go it on our own. Not here !!!!

A driver will know the area, know the traffic (this is a big deal in high season), know how to get you close to the areas to see to drop you off (and then go park where he knows he can find a little space to - also a big problem) pick you up again..... keep you on schedule (so you get back to the ship on time - this is a biggie :rolleyes: ) and perhaps even give you a little history/info on the area too.

We shared our ride with 3 other couples from our roll call. At each place we stopped we all went our different ways. Some people worry that they will be "joined at the hip" with others if they share a ride. Not so. Unless you make it so. DH truly enjoyed this day as he actually got to see the stunning views and had more fun videoing out the window (which when you watch them make you slightly nauseous)...... since he wasnt driving.

I spent 3 days last year in Positano and touring the Amalfi Coast with Fabrizio from allarounditaly.net. There is no way I would have done it myself, the roads are so curvy and in some places difficult to navigate.

I agree with the previous poster that you might try and share with people from your roll call.

UMMMM:::Since I live in central/northren Italy - (USA citizen, married for 25 years with a local Tuscan here in Lucca - dates me, but, I have still to see Naples or the area - my husband - who has, fotunately slowed down on mountain road curves, here abondant - will not take our car down there...) While I would wish to be sure that things are just myth - limited time on a cruise stop, if one wishes the least stress (vacation after all isn't it') - car with driver!

Agree with everyone about not driving in/around Naples. Even the Italians consider Naples drivers something else. :eek:

Not so sure about the train. The whole point of the Amalfi Drive is to enjoy the stunning scenery whilst driving. We took the train from Sorrento to Naples (not the Amalfi area, I realize), but a significant portion of the trip was through tunnels cut through the mountainside, and views were very limited.

The part of your plan to visit Pompeii is easily done via train on your own. If you want to truly see and enjoy the Amalfi Drive, arrange for a driver.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great day! :)

The Gang is right on this one! You do not want to drive the Amalfi Coast on your own.

It is worth EVERY penny to see it- so it is a must- but I would advise you find a private local tour company or a driver to take you on this trip.

You will enjoy it 100 times over if you are a passenger and do not have to worry about the driving. Sit back- hold your breathe- and enjoy the view and each little town as you go.

Best of luck!

i know naples very well and i warmly suggest u not to rent a car . they drive differently from other places in italy. i go to naples since 15years ago and my husband ( he's from there)has never allowed me to drive around the town even if i know the streets and roads very well. i suggest u to go to amalfi with the excursion, since amalfi is really far from naples, if u go there by yourself i don't think u could be back in time to catch the ship. i'm anyway almost sure that the ecursion of the ship is cheaper than whatever u can choose when u arrive. moreover is recommend not to go around naples by yourself, expecially if u don't know where to go

I have to concur that a tour would be best. Sorrento is far from the ship- even by train it takes about 1 hour with transfers. I didn't transfer and ended up heading to Sarno inland! What a mess. By the time I got to Amalfi it was 3PM and I had to turn around and head back.

Generally speaking the people in Naples don't or won't speak English. It is a poorer area and I did feel insecure traveling on my own.

You can't do everything with one day in port. I highly recommend doing Pompeii unless you think you are going to be back in Italy. It really is very interesting and close to the ship.

I'm with the group-and we very often book cars for ourselves but not there-we booked Romeinlimo for Pompeii and Positano, and it was the best thing we could have done-the road on the Amalfi coast is not for the fainthearted to drive, and the traffic is complicated unless you have some experience-to go for one day off the ship means you need to plan to get to the next port on your own :) so bring your passport! All kidding aside, if you can spend the money on a private driver it is well worth it and you will not regret it. Just my opinion having done it last summer. It is not possible to park in many places, so having a driver means you can go and enjoy your entire day, instead of spending your day figuring out where to go, how to get there, where to stop, where to park-yikes!

Archived