Formal Night?

desertratts

Going on our first cruise in approximately 43 days, 16 hrs. but who is counting :D . I have a question about the formal dinners. Just how formal is it? Do I need the 3 piece suit? Does my wife and girls need ballroom gowns? We are a pretty casual family but would like to attend the formal dinner. I would hate to pack a suit and find out that everyone else is just wearing polo shirts? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Afraid you'll need to pack the suit, but the vest (3rd piece) and the ballgowns are completely unnecessary. A cocktail dress for her is plenty formal enough. Polo shirts and slacks are perfect for other nights, and the wife can wear sundresses or separates.

Enjoy!

Going on our first cruise in approximately 43 days, 16 hrs. but who is counting :D . I have a question about the formal dinners. Just how formal is it? Do I need the 3 piece suit? Does my wife and girls need ballroom gowns? We are a pretty casual family but would like to attend the formal dinner. I would hate to pack a suit and find out that everyone else is just wearing polo shirts? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Enjoy that first cruise!!

Go to every formal night, the menu and ambience make it special and enjoyable evening. There will be lots of ship photographers looking you capture you at your best and later to seperate you from your $ for those pretty pictures of you in your "formal" wear!

I would suggest you pack what you would dress as you would attend any 30-50 dollar a person nice local dining establishment.

If you wear a suit and a gown then go for it

If you would go in a dockers and a dress shirt with our w/o tie go for it.

If you are are much more casual and a jeans person. I'd say at lease wear a nice pair, a decent shirt and no tennis shoes. Will you get stares and lots of wrath from the formal police here? You bet ya, but unless are trying to make a "statement" you probably wont' get thrown out.

Just search and you see opinions and passions run high on this, comically high :D

Since it appears you will be on a 4 or 5 night RCCL cruise, you would probably be fine with a sport coat, dress shirt, and slack. The ladies in your family would be fine with what they would wear to a dressy but not quite formal wedding.

But I will say, a suit on you and the ladies dressed to the 9s would make a fab family photo and a great souvenir! We don't normally dress up in our daily lives either (OKC is a very laid-back kind of place), so we really love formal nights. DH wears a suit and tie, as does DS (he's nearly 7). I have worn both long gowns and cocktail dress (prefering the latter for packing reasons). And you don't have to spend a fortune. The girls can find dresses on sale at many places, and resail shops are great too. I've found some great deals at Ross and TJ Maxx.

Which cruise line? It ranges based on the cruise line. Some are more elegant that others, some look the other way if not all dress up and all formal nights are optional in all dining rooms on NCL.

You didn't say how old your girls are, but some teens have formals they have only worn once...and find it a great opportunity to wear them again. I have been on short cruises (4/5 days) where the formal night is the first full day, and those girls take delight in continuing to wear a different formal each night after...EM

We are also taking our first cruise this July, a 4 nighter on Soveriegn of the Seas. The formal night question is causing controversy in our family. My bro-in-law INSISTS that shorts, golf shirt, and sandals are acceptable for the dining room all 4 nights, including the formal night.

Anyone know RCI policy on this? Will he be served dinner? Or, will others just stare and make comments to their appropriately dressed table mates?

Thanks

Congrats on your first cruise - you will have a great time!

We have always dressed formally - that's part of the cruise for us. My husband rents a tuxedo (the one you do online that serves the cruiselines) and I wear a long dress. Our first cruise, my 14 y/o son wore pants, shirt, tie & jacket - but said he felt underdressed. So, our last cruise he and his friend rented tuxes as well. So nice to see them dressed up.

You will see people who think that if they put on a tie, they are formal. Also women that if they put on a dress - they are formal. You will also see people dressed to the nines.

For your family, being first cruise and growing children - I wouldn't go all out. A suit for you, cocktail dress for your wife (although if she wants to spend some money she can get some great stuff on line through stores or sites, just have to watch the sales), and now would be a good time to pick up dressier clothes for your daughters (after Easter sales)-just keep in mind how much they will grow before the cruise.

We are also taking our first cruise this July, a 4 nighter on Soveriegn of the Seas. The formal night question is causing controversy in our family. My bro-in-law INSISTS that shorts, golf shirt, and sandals are acceptable for the dining room all 4 nights, including the formal night.

Anyone know RCI policy on this? Will he be served dinner? Or, will others just stare and make comments to their appropriately dressed table mates?

Thanks

This is from RCCL's website:

Remember, shorts, T-shirts, and bathing suits are not considered appropriate attire in the dining rooms at dinner. Casual dress dining is available nightly in the Windjammer Cafe. And be aware you'll also need smart casual attire for some of our specialty restaurants.

I have been to many Mardi Gras Balls (Krewe of Babylon) in New Orleans and know the difference between a ball gown and just formal wear. Your wife and children might be comfortable in something like this. They can bring one long skirt and by changing the tops, shoes and jewelry they will have two different outfits to wear on formal nights.

http://pictures.cruisecritic.com/data/509/us_and_capt.JPG

The formal night question is causing controversy in our family. My bro-in-law INSISTS that shorts, golf shirt, and sandals are acceptable for the dining room all 4 nights, including the formal night.

Shorts are not acceptable for men any night in RCL dining rooms, let alone formal night. Change the shorts to Khaki's and that'll be fine for regular nights. Throw a jacket over the golf shirt and he's good to go on formal night......doubt anyone will turn him away for the flip flops! :D

Ball gown, not necessary. Cocktail dresses are perfectly fine. Many ladies, including myself, like to wear floor-length, but that doesn't mean poofy, heavy, or bridesmaid-obnoxious. :)

Tux not at all necessary. Jacket with shirt and tie, highly recommended, especially if the ladies are dressing up. Long pants and nice shirt, required. Shorts and sandals, not acceptable, have seen guys turned away.

This is direct from the RCCL website:

"Suggested guidelines for these nights are:

Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women

Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women

Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women

Dining Rooms and Specialty Restaurants

No bare feet, caps, tank tops or bathing suits are permitted in these areas. Shorts are not allowed during dinner.

Windjammer Café

No bare feet are allowed. Tank tops and caps are not allowed during dinner."

Have a great trip! :)

Shorts are not acceptable for men any night in RCL dining rooms, let alone formal night. Change the shorts to Khaki's and that'll be fine for regular nights. Throw a jacket over the golf shirt and he's good to go on formal night......doubt anyone will turn him away for the flip flops! :D

Thanks for the tip!

Going on Carnival cruise (first ever cruise!) in July...

I'll wear the one suite that I own for the formal nights and my wife and daughter have dresses to wear.

My question is will my 16 year old son be fine in slacks, dress shirt and tie - no jacket?

Thanks,

Rob

It would be nice if he had a jacket but there would likely be others without jackets so I'd say not required - especially since he'll be wearing a tie.

I understand at that age he might not need one in everyday life and could quickly grow out of it. You can take a look at a local Goodwill store and get one really cheap so you don't care how much use he gets out of it.

I'm a little confused. What color golf shirt would be considered formal at say the White house Journalist dinner? or is the definition for formal different in different places. I always thought formal meant formal not just take a shower and wear something clean. Guess I don't get out much any more.

Looking at the OP's prior posts, it looks like they are going on a 4 night Monarch cruise to Ensenada.

I'd not do a ballgown for the lady, too much to pack. I wear a cocktail length dress and it works fine. A suit for him is the best choice, more than anything else dress to compliment each other in degree of formality.

The 4 nighters are really not quite as "formal" as longer cruises. You even will see the occasional man not in a jacket or tie, but they are in the minority as far as I have paid attention.

just my 2 cents here.. you can dress however you like, for the most part, on most ships. some like to dress to the 9s, others are more casual. its just a matter of preference. I have done both, and didnt feel and better or worse for it. and especially kids, it is even more lenient. i took suits for my boys on some, and on others they wore slacks and nice sweaters. its just a matter of how much you feel like investing, and if you think you will have the opportuinity to wear the clothing again. i have 2 cruises planed, and I will be dressy, but by no means formal. one thing i have never seen on the 7 cruises i took, were any women in long gowns. and that includes an new years eve cruise on rccl. hope this helps.

Archived