How do I get cigarette smell out of dress?

sunpsyche

Ok, I realize this isnt exactly a fashion question, but it is clothes related. I was all set on what i was going to wear and I friend showed me a pic of a fabulous red dress she said she'd lend me. It looks sensational on me. Smells like a chimney! Suggestions? It was in a drycleaners bag, I believe it just came back...still had the tag. I've tried febreeze. Tried hanging it outside in the fresh air...fabric softener sheet in the drier...all no go. Help!

I can't imagine the dress retaining the smell after all that. Are you sure it is cigarette smoke? Any time I've ever had that problem ( like after leaving a smoky bar - which is a rare event the last few years :rolleyes: ) after the blouse hangs for a day or so, the smell is gone. Certainly the dry cleaners always removes the smell. I don't know - if I went through all that and it still stunk - I don't think I'd want to wear it now - who knows what the heck it is.

Sometimes it is the fabric itself that retains this odd smell--some kind of sizing or something. However, I agree that perhaps it is the bag that is the culprit. You might try consulting your drycleaner. There are some cleaners who specialize in treating clothing that has survived a house fire to remove the smell. I think there is some sort of ozone treatment that can be used as well. Rental car agencies use it to remove the smell of smoke from their vehicles. Let us know if you find a remedy and good luck! It would be a shame to waste a great dress!! :o

Melody

I'd try taking it to the cleaners again (a different one than where it was cleaned originally). I've had things come back smelling like smoke from the cleaners that didn't smell that way when they went in. The odor usually dissipated after hanging for a while though.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the odor out of brand new silk knits? I've tried Febreeze & also just it hanging outside, but the most it does is lessen the smell alittle. Even after regular washes, I put the garment in a mesh bag & use my washer's gentle cycle....works fine for cleaning & shape retention but still smells alittle. I like the comfort of silk but have been staying away from certain knits (not all my silk garments have this odor & price or shop doesn't seem to matter, Lord & Taylor to Filenes Basement,...seems to be mainly on the looser or bulkier knits) due to that "fish-ish" aroma. I wondered if it was the sizing when the item was made but that should have washed out the 1st time it was cleaned. Any thoughts on what it might be & how to remedy it?

When I moved into my new house, it had one of those new Maytag drying centers. That thing is absolutely fantastic. I went to a restaurant with a friend and we unfortunately had to sit in the smoking area. My silk blouse and knit suit smelled when I got home. All I did was hang the pieces in the drying center, put in a couple of fabric softener sheets, and the smell was gone. Do you have a dryer with drying racks---they are just a rack that fits into the dryer and allows you to dry sweaters without tumbling? You could put the dress in there on the rack, put in a few fabric softener sheets, and see what happens.

I hate the smell of cigarettes since I dont smoke and have allergys.Ive noticed thru the years that some materials absorb smoke more than others.Ive had to throw away clothing because I could still smell a hint of the smoke.The average person probably would think it all gone.I took a suit to the dry cleaners once.When I picked it up,it looked great,but still smelled awful! The lady told me that I had to ask (and pay extra) to have it deorderized.Ive put many articles of smokey smelling clothing outside on the patio,just to be able to sleep.And,I cant tell you the times Ive had to get back out of bed and wash my hair! UGH! I need a less sensitive nose!

Yes, I have the same problems as dalsal and martym. I can't stand the odor in silk knits, makes me nauseated. And I know I'm overly sensitive because other people will swear they can't smell a thing. Perhaps the dress is a similar issue and maybe a lost cause.

Oh, those nasty ol' cigs again. Yukka. I would try a fabric tissue in the dryer, but I can't imagine why after all that you have already done, it still smells.

Ummm, how about putting it in the bathroom and when you shower the steam may seep into the fabric, loosen up the smell...

I bought a dress on ebay back in April never thinking that the person would have been a smoker. The thing STILL smells like smoke even after being worn in Scotland for a wedding, on a cruise in May...going through the dryer with fabric softner sheets, febreeze, dry cleaner. It has not been near smoke since spring and it still smells. ARGH. I am not taking it on the next cruise. Last time the smell permeated (but didn't linger) on some of my other things. I had it in plactic by itself too.

Archived