$1100 Infirmary Bill!!!!!

You probably should apologize, I did not get that the op was bashing the onboard dr. They have to cover their butts just like any other dr.

I could well be wrong, if so, I apolgize. But I am guessing you already know whether your own health insruance covered your costs, especially since your medical bills were incurred in the US. I am guessing that your real intent is to bash the onboard diagnosis....your prerogative.

Just returned from Majesty of the Seas. My 10 year old son became ill with nausea, vomiting, severe stomach pain, and fever. I brought him to the infirmary b/c he couldn't get out of bed. They gave him IV fluids and ran several blood tests. They could not come up with a diagnosis (they thought that it was appendicitis) and insisted that I go to the ER in Key West or I couldn't return to the ship. While at the ER, they said that he had the stomach virus. Now I have a bill for $1100. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Will my medical insurance cover this?

Same thing happened to my daughter, but our bill was only around $700 or so. We kept all the receipts and the itemized receipts from the ship with all our charges and when we got home I called Blue Cross. They gave me the address to send everything to. We received a check for the entire amount less our co-pay. Good luck to you!

I'm glad your son is okay, but what if it turned out to be appendicitis? With the symptoms you listed, it could have been. They are not equiped on board for that kind of emergency, and if you had been at sea, it would have required an expensive evacuation.

I do hope your insurance will cover this. We never used to even think about trip insurance, but since reading some of the "horror" stories about medical emergencies here, we buy it now just for the medical coverage. Even for the 5 of us, it is not much.

Again, I'm glad he is okay and your entire vacation wasn't ruined.

I could well be wrong, if so, I apolgize. But I am guessing you already know whether your own health insruance covered your costs, especially since your medical bills were incurred in the US. I am guessing that your real intent is to bash the onboard diagnosis....your prerogative.

umm....no, OP is asking about coverage for on board (on the ship) costs that were accrued. simply that. i didn't get any bashing vibe from this post.

Before you leave the country you should check to make sure your medical insurance will cover you. Despite what someone said above, an HMO is not required to cover you out of the US. The In-Network versus out of network usually only applies within the US unless your insurance specifically has international coverage.

The first time I got hurt on a cruise, I made the mistake of not checking with my insurance (you know what happens when you assume) first and turned down travel insurance because I thought I was covered. Well to just see the doctor onboard it was $175. I was provided all the forms to file a claim with my insurance (just like when I have to file a claim at my doctor at home). My claim was denied because it occurred out of the country. My current health insurance does cover me anywhere in the world but I had a choice of 2 plans and the other plan does not provide coverage out of the country.

.......Will my medical insurance cover this?....

Sorry, but the time to ask this question and get an answer is when you were booking the cruise and deciding if you needed to buy travel insurance.

Despite what someone said above, an HMO is not required to cover you out of the US. The In-Network versus out of network usually only applies within the US unless your insurance specifically has international coverage.

While you are correct some insurance plans will not afford coverage outside the US, the OP indicated treatment occurred in a Florida hospital.

So, if you get the stomach virus from something on board... or cut your head open on something on the ship (let's just say something of their negligence) would the ship still bill you??? That doesn't seem right to me.

Unless there was a bout of noro going on around the ship so that you can pinpoint the source then you can't blame RCCL for catching something. You could have easily picked up a bug before you got on the ship. Stomach bugs like Noro are in no way limited to ships.

Now if you fell and got hurt on the ship because of something wasn't right then that is a completely different story.

This past week a friend of ours we were cruiseing with decided to play basketball barefoot for some unknown reason and wound up with bad blisters on his feet. He went to the infirmary simply to see if they had moleskin or anything he could use. He was told they they could not even talk to him or give him anything withought a initial payment of $130 upfront, and then anything he needed would be charged beyond that. Needless to say he made do with bandaids.

We went with 2 other couples to Alaska 2 yrs ago on Celebrity. One of the guys developed a problem because of BPH ( Enlarged prostate) and could not

pee. Went to the infimary where they tried to catherize him with not much sucess. Tried again on Sat - again with little success. Sunday they told him he had to go to Juneau hospital and if they couldn't relieve the issue he would have to leave the cruise and fly home or perhaps have surgery in Juneau.

Fortunately they had the right kind of catheter in Juneau Hospital and he returned to finish the cruise.

Infirmary saw him every day to check the catheter and administer antibiotics.

He called his insurance company and they at first said he didn't inform them in a timely manner and they might cover some of it.

Bill from Celebrity was $1895 + lord knows what at the hospital.

He sent the bill to travelex 3 weeks later they sent him a check for $1895 and told him they would go after Cigna for reimbursement. He never did see a bill from the hospital.

Moral of the story - most health insurance will be primary but in many cases insist on being notified. If you have cruise insurance they will pick up the difference - BUT in some cases as in my friends case they paid first and went to subrogation to collect.

Even though the infirmary did not have the right catheter - my friend's wife and the other gal are both RN's and were very impressed with the level of care he got.

Before you leave the country you should check to make sure your medical insurance will cover you. Despite what someone said above, an HMO is not required to cover you out of the US. The In-Network versus out of network usually only applies within the US unless your insurance specifically has international coverage.

The first time I got hurt on a cruise, I made the mistake of not checking with my insurance (you know what happens when you assume) first and turned down travel insurance because I thought I was covered. Well to just see the doctor onboard it was $175. I was provided all the forms to file a claim with my insurance (just like when I have to file a claim at my doctor at home). My claim was denied because it occurred out of the country. My current health insurance does cover me anywhere in the world but I had a choice of 2 plans and the other plan does not provide coverage out of the country.

This is correct and I was going to respond to that post about HMO's. It is true a HMO must supply you with a network and if it's an emergency they will cover out of network but many do exclude out of U.S. coverage so people really have to be careful and read the fine print on their policy or call their carrier if they have questions.

You see different answers about the Blues and that is because there are many plans each offering different levels of benefits and each state is also different. Some states mandate certain things to be covered, others do not. There are PPO plans, HMO's, HSA's, etc.

Very few U.S. health insurance plans would cover an at sea medical evac and that can easily be 25,000 and up and they do happen quite frequently for illnesses and injuries onboard. Had the OP's son needed emergency surgery for the appendix at sea he would have been transported off the ship and the evac bill would have been staggering. The ships medical staff are very limited in what they can treat effectively onboard. I have Blue Cross and I would never cruise without travel insurance with medical included that will either cover an illness/injury or pay for what my health insurance doesn't cover fully plus trip cancellations and all the other things life can throw at you when you least expect it:)

This past week a friend of ours we were cruiseing with decided to play basketball barefoot for some unknown reason and wound up with bad blisters on his feet. He went to the infirmary simply to see if they had moleskin or anything he could use. He was told they they could not even talk to him or give him anything withought a initial payment of $130 upfront, and then anything he needed would be charged beyond that. Needless to say he made do with bandaids.

You will always pay upfront on a ship for treatment and it's up to you to seek reimbursement from your insurance carrier. It's a good idea to carry at least 2 high limit credit cards with you on vacation just in case. Many islands do not take U.S. insurance and you would have to pay upfront in that case also.

i know this is gonna sound bad, but my first thought after hearing about the bill (which i'm sure will be taken care of by travel insurance, or your pirmary medical insurance - and may i add, those flex. spending accounts are heaven sent!!!) was that thank goodness that you could stop in key west and go to the hospital being that key west is still in the US! that's great since us hospitals are regulated by JHACO and OSHA and you can feel secure there, whereas, if you had to go to a hospital in a foreign country, it would've been a little nerve wracking. And, as you didn't have to the airlifted either. glad your son's better!

I am not trying to argue with you, being in Key West was a great thing for her son. I was just curious as to how many foreign country hospitals you've been in. I've been in a lot and feel you don't necessarily need to worry, unless you are in an underdeveloped country. Other countries do have government agencies. I love my country but we are far from perfect, we may have the best medical care but a lot of countries are in a very close second place. Just my opinion and observation. JCAHO is so dedicated they even go to combat zones to inspect US military hospitals. Why I do not know?

Glad it all worked out. Probably the best thing for you was the fact that your stop at the hospital was in Key West. That i'm sure will be the most helpful thing in getting your bill paid.

Also, from a comfort factor, better to be in a familiar US hospital, than a foreign one where the standards are not the same, and you really don't know what kind of care you will get.

Glad the rest of cruise was nice! ;)

We had an emergency on a ship. We had to pay $2,100 on our cruise card directly to the ship's med center (Disney Magic) befor we got off the ship because as others have stated, the docs on cruiseships don't take insurance.

Then when we got to Port Canaveral Medical Center, our health insurance kicked in to pick up the bill.

I then turned the other charges into the travel insurance I had taken out and got some of the money back.

My husband was kicked by a horse on a RCCL excursion and had to be taken to a Jamaican Hospital. Everything was paid for by the Chucka Ranch in CASH. We didn't have to pay anything. Plus we were given a free day to go anywhere on the island Chucka. We even missed the ship and they called ahead and the ship waited for us. We were 30 min late. guess it's another reason to use the ship excursions, because this stuff does happen.... He was rechecked by the ships md and we weren't charged anything. He got stitches, crutches and medications.

Just returned from Majesty of the Seas. My 10 year old son became ill with nausea, vomiting, severe stomach pain, and fever. I brought him to the infirmary b/c he couldn't get out of bed. They gave him IV fluids and ran several blood tests. They could not come up with a diagnosis (they thought that it was appendicitis) and insisted that I go to the ER in Key West or I couldn't return to the ship. While at the ER, they said that he had the stomach virus. Now I have a bill for $1100. Has anyone had any experience with this kind of thing? Will my medical insurance cover this?

Turn it in... my husband and I just got off the Voyager where he broke his arm in the ice rink. We're still getting insurance money back. I've learned my lesson though... take out the extra insurance! Is your son ok?

My husband's arm is still in a cast. Broken in three places. Ouch. Our bill was over $2,000.00

Also, one of the people I work with suggested I turn in any unpaid insurance amounts to the credit card company (see first if there are any provesions in your credit card company for insurance coverage). That might be another avenue to pursue. I really learned my lesson though... take out that extra insurance. This is Chad's second accident on our cruises... the first was in Jamaica when he dislocated his shoulder and torn his rotator cuff, and now he broke his elbow in three places on the ice rink. If he didn't have bad luck on our cruises, he wouldn't have any luck.

Dona

First, let me say that I am not bashing the ship's doctor. I was a little frightened that he could not make a diagnosis and would not give my son any Tylenol to reduce his fever. My pediatrician was able to make a diagnosis over the phone. In hindsight, I will call home to my pediatrician first before I go to the infirmary. The infirmaries are not hospitals and they are certainly not equiped to handle major emergencies.

Second, I have learned that I should always take out trip insurance when I go on a cruise.

I spoke to my insurance company today and I am sending them all of my paperwork from RC's infirmary. Hopefully, most will be covered.

The most important thing is that my son is doing fine. He is back at school, playing baseball, and doing what every other 10 year old boy should be doing.

i work for bluecross and think i can help all. 1st check the id card the insurance carrier gave you and look for a toll free #. before you leave call and ask them ???? and get the name and the first initial of the last name of the person you are speaking with. (we always provider this) most ppo plans will reimburse the cost of your expenses less any deductible you or your family has. the rate of reimbursement can be as high as 100% as low as probablly 80% so any addtl coverage you can get would be very helpful.

hmos can be very different ---based on state you reside in.

pls also remember when all else fails, you can and should contact the insurance commission for your state. they can and do act as advocates on your behalf. all companies must reply to them in a quick and timely manner.

best advice call the phone # on your id card and ask as many ???? until you feel comfortable with the answer.

if something does occur keep all copies provided by the cruise lines as well as your credit card bill. the moment you do arrive home contact the insurance carrier and fax copies of your receipts.

I'm glad to hear your son is well.

Archived