Panama Canal: Serenade vs Regal Princess

My relatives did an onboard booking for an April Panama canal trip on the Regal Princess. I found the exact same date with similar itinerary on the Serenade. This ship alwys receives high marks. It is also about $1000 less for a similar cabin type.

I would really appreciate some objective comparisons from cruisers with experience on both. Thanks!

We have cruised both Princess and RCCL. They are both very similar offering great cruise experiences. We did the Dawn Princess twice. The staterooms were all the same - you paid extra to go to higher levels of the ship. On RCCL, the room sizes do get larger as you go up the various categories. You can actually compare the staterooms between the two ships if you go to cruisestateroms.com. They provide sq footage info and usually a diagram of the typical stateroom. I think we would go with RCCL if the price difference was $1,000! That can cover alot of other expenses!

The Regal Princess is an old ship. The Serenade is an almost brand new ship with amenities that the RP can not touch. The RP will also probably attract a slightly older crowd (if that is important to you).

I also had a really lousy experience on Princess with their service. The Serenade is an elegant ship, and I would pick her in a heartbeat.

If you want to see detailed pics of the Serenade, follow my link below.

I have cruised aboard both the Regal Princess and the Serenade of the Seas. Without a question, I would pick the Serenade of the Seas. The ship is much newer and has features that are not offered on the Regal Princess. I cruised aboard the Serenade about a month ago and was extremely impressed with the ship. It is very well-designed and has beautiful public areas (especially the Centrum and Reflections Dining Room). In particular, the abundant glass areas on the Serenade would be perfect for viewing the transit of the Panama Canal. Also, I was pleased with the food and service aboard the ship.

Definitely the Serenade--the RP cannot hold a candle to her. At 1000.00 less, it's a no-brainer! We are also going on the April 23 Transcanal (with BridalMaven and all the others) and it's a great group we have going--please join us. I just did the Serenade in Hawaii this past May and after 40 cruises, she is one of my top ships ever--you'll love her!

Thanks for all the feedback. I wish it was me going - but I act as the "amatuer TA" for my husband's aunt and uncle. They seem quite pleased with the alternate choice of the Serenade. I have held an 8th deck E1 cabin on the corner of the bump for them. I could have done a D1 but there was an additional $200 savings and the rooms look identical with the loss of 25 sq ft of room space. Does anyone have input on these two cabin choices?

(Sorry - I don't have the exact cabin # with me)

Archived