Deck Chairs on Liberty of the Seas

natb2

Its my first time cruising in 38 days to be exact (this site has made me even more excited) and had a few questions regarding chairs on the deck.

1. Are there enough chairs to accomodate a large amount of people on the ship?

2. Which areas are the best place to get a couple chiars other than the pool area that have great sun?

3. The days at sea is it overly busy that you need to get up early and put a towel on the chairs you want (is this even allowed)

And Im sure some more questions will arise once I get some responses.

There are plenty of chairs to go around, although maybe not always in the spot you want them to be. There a several areas on the ship to sun yourself. If you don't need to be right at the pool, you should be able to find a few empty chairs. Reserving chairs is not allowed. The ship personnel will remove the item(s) if they see the chair has been unattended for a length of time.

Natb2 - you'll be getting onboard as I'll be getting off. My 4 experiences on RCCL: deck chairs in good spots are hard to find on sea days, otherwise not that difficult. I'm not sure of Liberty's total layout (Voyager family ships have a deck above the pools if you don't mind being away from that area).

A suggestion: go to the Meet & Mingle page - ask your question there on the 4/12 M&M thread. they seem like nice people who are willing to answer questions, plus they posted a review and pics of their Liberty cruise.

Its my first time cruising in 38 days to be exact (this site has made me even more excited) and had a few questions regarding chairs on the deck.

1. Are there enough chairs to accomodate a large amount of people on the ship?

2. Which areas are the best place to get a couple chiars other than the pool area that have great sun?

3. The days at sea is it overly busy that you need to get up early and put a towel on the chairs you want (is this even allowed)

And Im sure some more questions will arise once I get some responses.

Hi, I don't know anything about the deck chairs, but have you checked out our roll call for the Meet & Mingle for the 5/31 sailing on Liberty?? Here is the link. Hope to see you there!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=594991

We cruised Liberty in March over Spring break. The ship was full. by the looks of it, there is a chair for everyone, just not in the "primo" areas. I had no idea that people get up before dawn and reserve deck chairs by the pool by laying some personal yet not too valuable item on the chair. Or, they tie chairs together with towels. Staff does nothing to discourage this. There are too many folks who participate in this ritual and would be angry if they did.

I thought getting a deck chair early meant before 10 am... ha ha ha on me!

That said, there are lots of empty chairs in the very front of the ship on deck 12. also there is a partial deck 13 with plenty of sunny chairs. If your not into playing the "claim your deck chair at 5 am" game, there are plenty of chairs, just not by the pools.

I can see parents with young children wanting to sit close to the pool, but for those of us who don't have to watch the kids swim, chairs away from the pool area are plenty sunny and lots quieter.

solarium is adults only pool and hot tubs area. there are even a couple bench swings in there. there are deck chairs by the pool and since there is less space and less chairs, it isn't really any easier to get a chair in the solarium. there is this odd glassed off section (past where you turn in to get on the elevator) that has chairs inside.

shade chairs are easier to get in the morning before everybody gets too hot and too sunburned to stay in the sun

I was on Liberty in August. We never had an issue finding chairs, but we were also early risers. We almost never found chairs adjacent to the pools though. The short walk to the pool made it that much more refreshing once I got in it!

An honest opinion from someone who loved his trip on Liberty was that this was one of the only down sides to the trip. On sea days you couldn't get a bed near a pool. Bed hogging was rife and even after confronting deck patrol they seemed totally un-interested.

I was on the LOS last month. There were MANY people who would get up to the Solarium, as well as the main pool early (before 8 AM) and save groups of chairs. I never saw a crew member remove any chairs, despite hearing a few passengers complain about no free chairs (even though no one was sitting in them).

I typically got up early (8 AM), got breakfast from the Windjammer and ate near the pool, then after my DH came up to the pool, I would walk around a bit and return food tray.

I really like the solarium pool. It was quite (no kids) and the chairs had nice cushions.

We were on Liberty last week (April 12-19), which happened to be a vacation week in parts of the Northeast. The ship was full and the chair hogs were out in full force. On the last sea day (Friday), we found chairs by the pool, but they were in the shade. Had to sit on the pool edge most of the day to be in the sun.

Happened to notice 6 chairs right by the pool, in a premium spot, each bearing one shoe. The people that saved these chairs did not show up for hours. I asked one of "Deck Patrol" people if he could remove the shoes - towels they would remove (ship property), but not the shoes. Talk about annoying! I was ready to heave them overboard.

At least you are not sailing during a peak vacation - there should be plenty of chairs.

It's a great ship - we enjoyed it, in spite of the chair hogs!

Robin

Natb2 - you'll be getting onboard as I'll be getting off. My 4 experiences on RCCL: deck chairs in good spots are hard to find on sea days, otherwise not that difficult. I'm not sure of Liberty's total layout (Voyager family ships have a deck above the pools if you don't mind being away from that area).

A suggestion: go to the Meet & Mingle page - ask your question there on the 4/12 M&M thread. they seem like nice people who are willing to answer questions, plus they posted a review and pics of their Liberty cruise.

Speaking as one of the folks on the 4/12 M&M thread - Thank you! What a nice thing to say! We welcome anyone to come over with questions.:)

Below is the link to the review I wrote and our pics for OP and anyone else interested - As Robin stated in her post just above, chair hogging was a huge issue on this cruise but by no means spoiled the trip - we had a great time. I included section about the situation in the review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=760254

Another 4/12 Liberty Lush saying Thank you and we would be happy to answer anything!!

CL-JW's review is wonderful and informative and their pics are awesome!

I agree chair hogging was the WORST we have experienced on any ship but in no way did it spoil our cruise as this is a beautiful ship and we all had such a wonderful time!!

There is only one thing negative I can say about Liberty..........

Our cruise is over and they made us get off:(

Happy Cruising!!!!

Archived