Eddie Bauer backpack "leash"

itchin2cruz

I'm really shocked that everyone is totally fine with the leashes. Whether they look 'cute' or not, it's still a leash.

I was always adamant that I would not put my child in one, and everyone said "wait till they're walking", "wait till they're running". Well my daughter now walks and is starting to run and I still will NOT put her in one.

Just a personal decision, but I believe you may get a few dirty looks using one.

Why would you be "shocked" that people want to protect their children/grandchildren? As you say, it's a personal decision. Actually we have received only positive comments when we have used it.

One additional benefit of the harness is that it gives the toddler a chance to walk alone without really being alone. They have the freedom to explore their surroundings better than when being carried or holding hands. The harness is not a substitute for proper supervision but an added tool when appropriate.

Hi all,

I am really interested in purchasing one of these for my son who will be 16 months on our cruise in August and has been running for a month or so now!!! This sounds like it could really come in handy...Do you know anywhere in Canada that sells them? TIA,

Katie

Katie I believe that you can still order from Target in the USA. Click here for a link to the Buddy Harness at Target. If they don't ship to Canada try a Google search for "Buddy Harness".

Charlie

It, like everything else, is a personal choice. What works well for one family doesn't work so well for another family. We all know that to be a true statement.

I could say that I am "shocked" that any mother who had a walking toddler, and allowed their toddler to walk in public areas, would be so careless as to not harness their child, simply for safety reasons..... But what works for me might not work for that other mother.

I'm happy with my decision and I want everyone else to be happy with their decision, and I want the happiness to happen without judgment from outsiders.

Happy sailing!

Thanks Charlie,

Unfortunately Target won't ship here so I am out of luck there. I am going to search for one here and check Walmart as one had suggested. Thanks for you reply.

KT

Try amazon and eBay too.

Here in a couple of years you will see someone on Dr. Phil claiming that children need therapy because they were put on a leash when they are young, lol. How is it any different that a child being strapped down in a stroller? At least with a backpack leash they have more freedom and get more exercise!

Here in a couple of years you will see someone on Dr. Phil claiming that children need therapy because they were put on a leash when they are young, lol. How is it any different that a child being strapped down in a stroller? At least with a backpack leash they have more freedom and get more exercise!

Actually, believe it or not, I wore a harness and leash as a child - and I'm over 60! I was (and still am) a "wanderer" so, even though things were a lot different then (not so many "baddies" about), mom got me a little leather harness and leash. Thinking back, I won't guarantee that it was actually made for a child (mom is no longer with us, so I can't ask). Never remember being bothered by it at all, though. I'm sure it was a Godsend to her, especially at the zoo and amusement parks where I would habitually wander off and get lost. I think I grew up OK.

There was a toddler in a cabin down the hall from ours on our last cruise. The minute the cabin door would open, he would be off and running full tilt as fast as his little legs would carry him - yup, out came the harness and leash. I really don't know how his parents would have coped without it. Granted some (probably many) kids might not need them (my sister never did), but for some they are almost a requirement.

Thanks Charlie,

Unfortunately Target won't ship here so I am out of luck there. I am going to search for one here and check Walmart as one had suggested. Thanks for you reply.

KT

KT!

Click Here for another source. I was noodling around and thought about this thread. This company apparently ships to Canada.

It's not the Eddie Bauer but looks similar.

Charlie

I'm really shocked that everyone is totally fine with the leashes. Whether they look 'cute' or not, it's still a leash.

I was always adamant that I would not put my child in one, and everyone said "wait till they're walking", "wait till they're running". Well my daughter now walks and is starting to run and I still will NOT put her in one.

Just a personal decision, but I believe you may get a few dirty looks using one.

I'm really shocked that you object. It's not hurting the child, who has more freedom than being stuffed in a stroller or being yelled at non-stop because he wanders. It also isn't causing any problems for the people around them.

If I give anyone any looks, it's because they have their baby is perched dangerously on top of a shopping cart in one of those infant bucket car seats or the parents are putting a tiny toddler into a booster. Both of those are dangerous for a child. A leash is not.

Congratulations on having a nice, calm daughter who stays by your side. My older daugher is the same but her big brother is a "runner" and you have no idea how scary it can be out in public with a child like that. You can "discipline" all you want but you can't change a child's nature.

With so many bad and dangerous things that are done to children, save your "dirty looks" for something that is really important. Leashes give a child freedom and a parent peace of mind. Please respect that!

Your child getting dirty looks: Sad!! Your child being safe and sound...PRICELESS!!
I agree 100%. We used the older style leases frequently with all three kids when they were younger, and never gave it a second thought. Increased freedom/mobility AND security for both parent and child...it's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned (and I would not put off in the least by rude comments or dirty looks...but would bet the positive reactions FAR outweigh the negative ones).

I'll add one more...wait till you have more than one child and the next one has no fear. ;)

With my first daughter, I sounded much like you. I patted myself on the back for having such a wonderful, well behaved and obediant child who was totally unlike those other wild children.

Then reality check came when my 2nd was born. If I could put this child in a straight jacket (legally), I would consider it...lol.

If there is a wall, she will try to jump off of it. If there is a hill, she will want to roll down it. And her mantra is "why walk when you can run?"

Now, with that being said, I don't use a leash because at this point, I can usually convince her (con her) into getting and staying in a stroller. And her older sister helps to reign her in alot when we are out and about.

Since she is now 4, she does listen to logic (at times).

But I am telling you, never say never. You never know when life will throw you a cruve ball and you find yourself blessed with an adventurous child. :D

^I appreciate your kind response!

I wasn't trying to start a flame war or anything, just was suprised since I don't see that many leashes on children yet everyone here supports them.

This will be our only child so I feel pretty confident that I can say never! =)

As for the stroller thing, she used to scream to get out of it cause she wanted to walk everywhere. Well, we just upgraded to a Maclaren and she loves it! Wants to get in it all the time. I think that sometimes you really do get what you pay for!

Thanks for all the suggestions on where to find these in Canada...I did find one at Walmart for about $15CAD. I am taking it along on our cruise with us and use it if he is wandering off. He's not one to hold our hands in a public place...so only time will tell.

Thanks again,

Katie

EZJACK,

I am from Tampa also and the shriners will always be in my heart. My youngest son has autism and I just admire how you help so many families that have physical disabilities.

We use the harness for our son who is 5 because due to him living with autism he likes to take off running and boy can he run fast. We only get stares because he is 5 on a harness not because he is on a harness. I think it would be different if he was younger.

-Sabrina

I am SO glad to see this thread. I've been telling my DW since before he was born that we'd be getting one. She was adamantly against it and that I was nuts till he just started crawling. Now she's all for it.

Now if I could just find one that fits the DW when we go shopping.... seriously. She's 4'8" and if she wanders off and goes behind a clothing rack, i can't find her. I told her I'm going to find a hat with one of the orange flags like what they have at the dollar store. And yes, I'm recovering well after I made that comment. I forgot where a sucker punch from a short person would land on a tall person. I sure do hope my voice drops back down to normal eventually. :eek:

I used to feel the same way until I was blessed with a child with autism. I get stares all the time but you know what losing my son would hurt a lot more than the stares.

-Sabrina

My mom kept me in one (I'm 22). She said that it saved me several times because I could jerk my hand away from her so quick and disappear if she didn't have it on me. If I ever have kids, I'm sure that if I need I'll use it. You gotta do what you gotta do!

We have just returned from Carnival Miracle with our 17 month old niece and we used the "leash" (her monkey backpack) quite a bit.

We did not have any negative stares or comments --- and could have sold the harness for a fortune -- as every parent, grandparent, aunty etc... who was travelling on that ship had wished that they had brought one along for thier young sailors.

Olivia did very well in her stroller -- but really enjoyed the freedom that she had with being able to walk on her own up and down the hallways and along the Lido deck.

It was also a wonderful benefit since we had a 12 hour drive to the pier. We stopped several times at rest stations and were able to get out and run and play with her --- without fearing that she would step off the curb into the path of an oncoming car or truck.

I remember our family trips to Ontario 38 years ago when one of my sisters would lay in the back window of the car, 2 of us would be laying on the backseat and usually 1 would be sleeping on the floor of the backseat. No carseats, no boosters, no seatbelts... Fortunately, as a society -- we have become wiser (and safer) ---- unfortunately, these lessons have been learned through the heartaches of our families, friends and others who have lost children due to tragedies.

Tracey

We also use the bear backpack leash sometimes. Once at the zoo, about 10 people asked where we got it. All of these parents had a children they were trying to keep up with or keep in the stroller. Before using it I was worried about people say critical comments (where we live people let you know what they think) but we have only received postive comments.

I think kids often feel like they have more freedom with the leash because their hands aren't being held. We often see kids with them at the zoo and the mall. Our DS even likes to wear it around the house.

One of my friends got one for her almost three year old son because she recently had a baby and wanted to make double sure the older son was safe on walks. Now her son likes to wear it around the house while his 4 1/2 year old sister holds the leash. My friend posted on her blog, "What is more fun than walking the dog? Walking your brother!" LOL but it did provide hours of entertainment in the house for both kids.

I used a toddler harness on my daughter when she was an active toddler (she is now 24).

For the holier-than-thou types who would accost me about having my daughter on a leash (and especially the one busybody who tried to remove it), I would look them in the eye and ask why they were so interested in having my beautiful daughter accessible and free for snatching.

If I was really ornery that day, I would grab hold of them and yell for security. When security arrived, I would explain the situation, the person's unwarranted interest in the accessibility of my child, and ask security to check if the person out for any priors on child molestation or other history.

Security never failed to lead the person away and call the police (yes, I waved to Ms. Busybody as I left the store and the police were arriving).

I just need to thank you all for telling me about these! I went down to Target this weekend and bought two - one for us and one for our friend and she was just tickled with it! Our DS doesn't mind it at all and thinks it's quite funny when we try to keep him from running away. It's going to be great on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I just want to say thank you. We also bought the monkey harness for my Grandaughter after reading the thread. I tested it out on Monday while watching the Memorial Day Parade. She loved it. She stood in front of me and was able to wave the little flag that Uncle Sam handed to all the kids. She's 18 months. She had no idea I was there holding the "monkeys tail" :D

Archived